Brad's Dai X work in progress

Chat about the Genesis project and storyline
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Rather than veer off topic in the legtrack/legstar thread, I decided to make a new thread specifically for posting updates on my progress with the Dai X model.I had taken a break from the 3D scene for a few days, but I thought I'd take a stab at it again last night.Here's where it stands right now:(click for a larger snapshot)[img]http://brad.project-think.com/starfle....mg]Adios! :biggrin:
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Oh, here's one last minor update before I head out for the day.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Wow. And this thing's going to junction as well.... wow...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I showed these pictures to a friend of mine this weekend and he noted that it looked a bit stodgy -- like it didn't look like it would move well. So, I made a brief animation to show him that all the joints do in fact work properly, can move quickly, and give a full range of motion in all directions.here is that animation:http://brad.project-think.com/starfleet ... mov(Edited by Bradster at 2:52 am on Aug. 25, 2002)
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Here's another minor update from some work I did last night.By the way, the project-think server may be down today some time for maintenance; so, some of my other images and links may be broken. This one I'm hosting on my Mac.com address:I have a good idea of how the fists will come in and out, but I'd rather not say until Ive tested it further.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Yet another relatively minor update here. I'm still getting the arms to look right. Specifically, I thought the open cavity where the engine shows through looked a bit, well, empty. Thus, I've tossed in some pipes and boxes to fill it in a bit. Unfortunately, these aren't visible at all in the shadows; so, I'm considering putting some small, dim lights in there.Also, I've tacked on the torpedo launcher. I should have the laser cannon for the other arm finished by the end of the night also.My next step is to tackle Hercules' sliding cockpit that fits in the center of Mainbody's chest. I've done some sketches for the polygon layout on paper and think it won't be too difficult to build.And here I've disabled the shell and torpedos to show the "junks" (as I call them) that I've added to fill in that cavity.(Edited by Bradster at 4:37 am on Aug. 31, 2002)
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Here's that other laser canon I mentioned:The gun barrels seem a bit long -- I will probably look up an episode later today to check on the correct size. Remember, most of this model is being derived from the three MangaMax drawings of the Dai-X. They certainly aren't very accurate, as the proportions vary greatly in the different images. This gun is based mostly on the "mangamaxdaixships.jpg" image.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Brad, you might want to have a look at the Fantastic Films article - there's a nice Dai-X cut-away in that, although I think it may actually be the one that the big Manga Max Dai-X is based on (the one that's stood straight up)...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Shane

Post by Shane »

It's all looking incredibly detailed Brad. I was wondering are you building your Dai X model with the abillity to "show em some muscle" as well? By this I mean of course the Dai X's breast cannons seen very briefly in the final episode.Shane. (Edited by Shane at 8:45 pm on Sep. 3, 2002)
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!