Crash

Brad's Dai X work in progress

Post by Crash »

Enterprise isn't worthy of this.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

I had taken some time away from this model as I was starting work on the EV:Nova conversion. What's nice about how I'm building the ships for that conversion is that I'll be able to use them for Genesis and other things as well.With the holiday weekend coming up, I think I'll spend some time trying to finish up most of the textures for Dai-X. There are a few things in the mesh itself around where the junction areas that need some additional detailing work too.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

As promised, here are a couple of pictures with some new textures I've been working on. First, here's a snapshot of only the pieces that actually have textures:Second, here's the same snapshot including the other untextured parts:[img]http://brad.project-think.com/starfle.... image.Not visible are a number of changes I've made to the bottom area and junction parts that extend into Legtrack. Also not visible is a cavity I've carved out in the chest behind where the front armor hinges out to "show em some muscle".I think I was way too optimistic in hoping to finish *all* of Dai-X's textures this weekend. I'll probably get most of Mainbody's textures finished and may start on Legtrack.So far, Mainbody alone is using 14 MB of images for its textures. If you're curious as to what some of them look like, here's a sample. This texture is used on the front of Mainbody's armor.[img]http://brad.project-think.com/starfleet ... or-tex.jpg" border="0">I'd said before that I plan to make Dai-X available for download. I still plan on that, but I don't think I'll post the textures. By the time it's all finished, the textures may total near 100 MB. That's a pretty hefty download! I might try to scale them down or do something else to shrink the file size, but I'm not worrying about any of that right now.(Edited by Bradster at 11:32 am on Nov. 30, 2002)
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Well, last night I spent who-knows-how-many hours finishing up Mainbody's textures, duplicating the starboard half into the port through the symmetry function, and then translating the coordinates of the textures from the starboard side into the new locations on the port side. Yikes, what a pain!Anyhow, I'm stamping my seal of approval on this section of the Dai-X and am ready to move on to texturing Legtrack. Mainbody's mesh is now complete and the textures are a solid 90% complete. The only things that still need textures are the front half of Barry's cockpit, the fists, and the little jetpack things on the underside.As a little aside from squandering away my time on textures in Photoshop, I took a break and put together a handsome little desktop picture for myself. I've been keeping a minimalist solid "pine green" coloured desktop for ages and figured it was a good time for a change. If anyone else here wants to take a look, here is the full 1280x960 image:[img]http://brad.project-think.com/starfle....mg]Andy," target="_blank">http://brad.project-think.com/starfleet ... op.jpgAndy, if you're at all inclined to putting this with the other desktop pictures on the Miscellaneous page of your Gallery, you're welcome to it. (Edited by Bradster at 8:26 am on Dec. 1, 2002)(Edited by Bradster at 2:10 am on Dec. 2, 2002)
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

That wallpaper is superb. It's actually interesting to see what the underlying mesh looks like as well - it looks remarkably uncomplicated apart from the little surface details. I can see why keeping the polygon count down is an important tool - this model's clearly a good example of it...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Chris Snape

Post by Chris Snape »

Just thought I'd quickly skim this topic and, yes, very impressed with Bradleys work. I lot of time and effort into, at the moment, a purely none-profit project. I tip my hat to the designer.
Get Quality Copies of Starfleet from me in PAL/UK format:Chris.Snape@btinternet.com