EDF Fighter - Ocean Flavour!

Chat about the Genesis project and storyline
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

With the discussion elsewhere of the various EDF Fighter flavours, I decided to break myself back into Cinema 4D by trying to put one together. It seems that taking a break away has been a good idea, as it's only taken a couple of hours to put this together:It's textureless at the moment, and it needs a little more detail adding to it, but I think it looks pretty good! Needless to say this is a much simpler object to do than the X-Bomber, and I'm going to try out a few things on it before returning to the more complex project....
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Right, here's the next version of the model.  I've managed to add a sort of hull plating texture to certain parts of it and also managed to use an alpha texture to get the EDF decal on the nose...
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Nicely done. Just curious, what are you using for the laser-type beam out of the nose?(yes, I'm still alive! :o I've been rather busy as of late but hope to get some time to work on the Dai X and other models soon.)
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Ah, the maestro returns! I was actually trying to figure out how to do a beam weapon using just a light source, thinking that the recess I'd made would naturally channel light out. Unfortunately it tended to turn the ship red! However, I then stumbled onto the spotlight light source style, made it a very narrow cone (10 degrees or so) and pointed it outwards from the fighter from a starting point inside the recess. Et voila! It looks more like a targeting beam as it is, but I do like the effect...BTW Brad, thanks for the transparency tutorial - that's how the EDF text came about. I realised in doing it that although I only had certain polygons selected to show the texture, the application of the texture still behaved as if it was being applied to the whole object? So I had to offset the placement of the texture to make the text appear in the right place...
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I've done a little rework on the old model shown above using more of Brad's tutorials - it was much easier to make the second time around. This is a Quicktime VR file - it's quite small dimensions wise to keep the file size down but it shows off the model quite nicely:http://www.sfxb.co.uk/OceanFighterSpin.movYou just click on the image and move the mouse around to spin it...