Dai X Jaeger

Chat about creative work on other sites
AlienRaider

Dai X Jaeger

Post by AlienRaider »

Been following the site for years- thought it would be cool to do an updated Dai-X with the proportions of a Jaeger. Input appreciated.
Attachments
DaiX.jpg
DaiX.jpg (250.66 KiB) Viewed 16390 times
Crash

Re: Dai X Jaeger

Post by Crash »

Well, that goes on the front page of the site, tomorrow when I have a moment (with your permission of course).

It's really good, have you got any more?

I really loved that Pacific Rim film. I really don't like monster films but that was really well done.
I got the impression that they really tried when they made that film.
Dream big and bold and daring.
AlienRaider

Post by AlienRaider »

Thanks for your kind words Crash :) Post whatever you like from this thread. I will be adding more. The front view will be an underlay for 3d devlopment in Blender.
There will be more works in progress added shortly. Ive attached some thoughts that I had on a battle helmet specifically for Dai-X combat.

Yeah I agree- Guillermo del Toro really has a passion for making a great mecha movie.
Attachments
HelmetPersp.jpg
HelmetPersp.jpg (97.06 KiB) Viewed 16369 times
HelmetOrthos.jpg
HelmetOrthos.jpg (170.65 KiB) Viewed 16369 times
Crash

Post by Crash »

That helmet is a great concept.
So, with that image of the Dai-X, where do you start producing an image like that?

Does a scanner ever come into it or is it done completely in Photoshop or the like?
AlienRaider

Post by AlienRaider »

I used Painstorm for the Dai-X. http://www.paintstormstudio.com/ Very cheaply priced for all the functionality and wonderful brushes. It is sketched on a Wacom pad which is a good investment if you are interested in doing concept work. There are alternative digitizing tablets if you are on a budget http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id= ... 15&eform=e - Even Cintiq (Wacoms sketching monitor) alternatives are coming down in price: http://www.amazon.com/Huion%C2%AE-Monit ... W9HP33YQ5Q
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I think the helmet's not unlike the new helmets the modern Thunderbirds use, lots of visibility and it makes absolute sense to be wearing some form of environmental suit when involved in space combat / hostile environments. One slight snag - I think Shiro is a bit like Judge Dredd. I don't think he ever takes his normal helmet off, so you might have to make yours a touch bigger! I can't actually recall if he had his helmet off when he has a spacesuit on?! Hm. That's probably the first and last time I'll ever compare Shiro with Dredd!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

In fact, that's reminded me of how Iron Man suits up. You could see the three of them heading for the Dai X components while getting suited up into mini-Dai X armours. Bit Power Rangers then I suppose, but I think you could make their suits more realistic, give them HUDs on the helmet like Iron Man, etc. Would make sense for picking targets, monitoring Dai X's health etc... I'm going off topic, aren't I?!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Post by Crash »

It's a good idea. In the new Thunderbirds, they don't just travel to the vehicles, they have their suits 'applied' to them in the process.

This helmet is much more stylish than the new Thunderbirds gear though.
I see that show's repeating the first 13 episodes before then going on to show the second set of 13. So we have, probably nearly 2 months wait until we get something new from that.

These tablets/monitors give me a lot of food for thought. You can get a lot done an not create any physical mess or clutter in the process.
... and the cost of that software is amazingly good - especially compared to Photoshop, which is why mine is um... yeah.

That being said, just with the rubbish on my desk: http://www.xbomber.co.uk/?page=news&id=186
AlienRaider

Post by AlienRaider »

YEAH! That is exactly what was going through my mind! High visibility hologram HUD interface in helmets- battle armor of some sort that either nanoassemble or perhaps the tracked seats wrap around Shiro, Barry and Lee as it jets through the corridor.
AlienRaider

Post by AlienRaider »

Attached a sketchover of Quasar- I like how you kept the general look of the XB universe. This sketch starts to incorporate some of the feel of EDF astro fighters as well as some elements like the X from X-Bomber and the red Dai X scheme that you sketched.
Back to my project :)
Attachments
Quasar.jpg
Quasar.jpg (100.79 KiB) Viewed 16261 times