Crash Override's Game - Work in Progress

Chat about creative work on other sites
Crash

Postby Crash » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:10 pm

Wouldn't it be a good idea to be able to fly about inside the Imperial Master's Fortress (providing of course that they built another one) and blow it up from the inside? Nuke its reactors and what not.If anyone has got any feedback on 2 Alpha do send it in. I'm guessing people have downloaded it - The site's eaten thru' a Lot of bandwidth this month.
Dream big and bold and daring.

Bradster

Postby Bradster » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:56 am

Quote (Crash Override @ 13 Dec. 2004,13:10)I'm guessing people have downloaded it - The site's eaten thru' a Lot of bandwidth this month.Oh! Pardon me for that! I'd set up a continuous download loop just to get your hopes up.;) I kid because I love.

Crash

Postby Crash » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:30 pm

I don't suppose you tried the Dai-X out by any chance?

AndyThomas

Postby AndyThomas » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:37 pm

I should mention that I've recently downloaded the second alpha but my machine's churning away at something at the moment so I'll try it once that's done and give you some feedback then.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator

Crash

Postby Crash » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:08 pm

Cool, thanks man - cast your eyes over the instructions in the Main Menu - there's some neat features that people keep missing.

AndyThomas

Postby AndyThomas » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:30 pm

Right, had a quick crack at it.  The instructions and credit screens seem to be a little broken - I could get out of them OK using the Escape key, but the mouse packed in.  On the instructions screen there was some red text giving an error number 20068, text/inst2.str , type string, local file missing?Got into the game OK, although I couldn't quite figure out how the mouse buttons were affecting my weapons choice - it seemed to switch from blue lasers to the red beams and then stay with the latter.I tried the Dai-X option, seemed to work OK as fighters - I assume that you fly Braincom by default.  I then tried junction, when Braincom got verrrry small which I assume is intentional, moved it over to the waiting chest and legs and it locked on OK, but I then couldn't move the junctioned Dai-X in any direction (I think it fired OK).There seemed to be something very very slightly jittery with it, but I couldn't say what was causing it - possibly the chat comments from the characters?  (Nice touch, although I found it a little difficult to read what they were saying and fly/fight).When Game Over came up I assumed that was it but then the level restarted - presumably that was just a lost life?  Would a "Continue" option make more sense there I wonder, or a short period of invulnerability?  Not sure, depends how it works as part of the whole.  There was no obvious way to get out of the high score table, but again hitting Escape worked fine.As you've obviously added a lot more firepower options and the like into this one, I think some sort of training mission or just demo that runs through the various modes might actually be quite useful - I didn't notice whether there was anything on screen which told you which weapon was selected?Just as a general comment, and this might be because my monitor is physically large, but it might be useful to have the option to have weapon energy etc at the bottom of the screen rather than the top - that way if you tend to fly low in the screen you don't have to switch attention to the top corners.Hope some of that helps, I know it's early days yet.  Oh, and on the briefing screen clicking the mouse button to continue didn't work unless the cursor was over the actual words.

Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator

Crash

Postby Crash » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:07 pm

Ah, you do know you don't have to use the mouse? just go into OPTIONS and change the SELECT INPUT field. If you didn't have a joystick plugged in it might have defaulted to that. I'm not too fussed about credits and that stuff at the moment - that's all fairly easy.Mouse 1 and 2 represent Fire 1 and 2 and if you press them together in X-Bomber then it changes up to "neck mode" and back again. A training mission at moonbase along with an alliance attack at the end should give players the hang of the gameplay. As for mouse movement - it needs a bit of work to say the least. but the other controls; keyboard, joystick are flawless. - you just need to change to them in Options.The continue thing makes you start the level over again without having to go back to main menu. - infinite number of 'lives' in that sense.That's a good idea for the guages (and yes it does tell you very plainly which weapon you've got). I spent a while animating that.OKay well thanks for the feedback. I'm glad someone took a look at it.

Crash

Postby Crash » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:38 pm

Right both problems with jittery movement on BrainCom and total lack of it on Dai-X are now fixed (on my copy anyway). The problem was that the co-ordinates of a few events weren't lining up so the guidance element was a bit off-alignment. The mouse movement isnt really supposed to be a serious replacement to keyboard or joystick. - A friend was just in disbelief that the previous version didn't have it. (him playing too much Chromium BSU on Linux).Just to Clear up FIREPOWER for now:X-Bomber Normal Mode: Fire 1: Laser Cannons, Turbo Laser Cannons, Anti-Fighter Turrets, Laser Torpedoes, Aft Lasers ("Shift" and "/" Cycle). Fire 2: X-ImpulseX-Bomber Neck Mode: (Fire 1 + 2 together)Fire 1: Neck Cannon Beams. Fire 2: Neck Cannon BlastsDai-X Fighters: (Press "TAB" to select fighter mode, press "Shift" to cycle fighters).Fire 1: Laser Cannon. Fire 2: Alternate Weapon. Fire 1+2: Heavy Weapon.Dai-X: (Press "TAB" again to dock fighters and form Dai-X)Fire 1: Eye Lasers, X-Tracers, Super Cannon, Mortar Cannons, Nuclear Torpedoes ("Shift" and "/" Cycle). Fire 2: Blocking ShieldX-Bomber also has upgradeable weapons - for the Alpha 3 of these are included right from the start - but will have to be earned by virtue of points in later editions.: ADEN Cannons, Homing Missiles, Vector Cannon.I'm also looking into why it defaulted to the mouse mode when it should by rights have gone straight to keyboard. PS: *puts down manual* I got 3 different ways to "Select Position" for counter objects. So you might get your wish after all Andy. draw me a diagram of where you want them all to be... and I'll see what I can do.

Crash

Postby Crash » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:24 pm

Hi all. All 3 Dai-X fighters will all be flyable in the next version of X-Bomber, (as has been the case for some time). For the coming release their weapons are to be changed. Each fighter is to be equipped with laser cannons which evolve, in terms of power and change colour accordingly (as was the case in the TV show), megabombs, plus two other weapons for each fighter.I wondered whether anyone had any thoughts or insights as to what sort of weapons might suit each type of fighter, because if I stick entirely to what we see on screen in the TV show all you have is the laser cannons which is kinda dull and not too imaginative for a shoot-em-up.Anyway if anyone has any ideas for this (or anything else) stick em up here and they'll very likely get included.

Smartie

Postby Smartie » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:22 am

Just had a quick play of your game. Theres lots of detail in there you must have spent a lot of time developing it. I like the backing tunes as well. Is there a link to a description of all the tools you used to develop it?Edit: Ah I just read the start of this thread and see Multimedia fusion mentioned.

Return to “Other Creative Work”