Crash Override's Game - Work in Progress

Chat about creative work on other sites
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Ah. Nope, never tried that! Was Time how long the system had been up and running or something? I can't remember now if the BBC had a real time clock...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Happosai

Post by Happosai »

The plain old Beeb model B didn't have a proper RTC as standard (later models like the B+ and Master did IIRC), but rather had a timer that counted how long had elapsed since power-up/hard "break" (or could be set manually, I think).Calling the RND function with a negative number set the random seed to a specific place in the sequence...using TIME was a good way of ensuring that this was reasonably unpredictable.Heh...sorry for taking this thread off-topic...! ;)[Happosai]
Crash

Post by Crash »

No worries. It's just I've never touched a BBC. Not while it was switched on anyway. Got Windows 3 before Bill Gates did.Anyone hit Level 3 yet? or do you want the code for it? - it's my favourite.I've fixed loadsa stuff with the game, although I'm a bit stumped on the music thing.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Post by Shane »

I've played the game a few times now and I'm finding that I can only get as far as the boss on level 2, by this time I have no weapons power left, so it's just a case of dodging the enemies fire until I eventualy die. I also found that the only tactic I could employ to have a fighting chance with the boss on level 1 was to conserve all the weapon energy by rarely firing at anything through the level.I'm wondering if the recharge rate could be a little faster for the weapons. Maybe you could have a default weapon which is weak but uses no power at all which you could use while the heavier weapons are reloading. This would just give the player a fighting chance, as at the moment once your weapons are gone you are dead in the water.I'd also think about making the levels slightly smaller, and maybe having that green power-up ship popping up a bit more often.Anyway that's what I think for what it's worth. I'll just say again that I think It's a cracking game, and a title that I would have paid good money for in the days of tape games in the 80's. Hey and it's still only in the test stages!Shane.p.s. Any chance of the level 3 code?
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I keep meaning to mention this, but there's one other small thing that's missing - LIVES! As Shane says, if you do run out of weapons power then you're in trouble, but if you had a couple of lives then you could at least come back in the traditional "I'm flashing therefore I'm invincible for all of 3 seconds" fashion! I know, detracts from the realism, but...!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Post by Crash »

And there was me thinking I was nearly finished.Might I ask which boss on level 2? the two cruisers, or the asteroid base? Do you use your laser cannons normally and then switch to torpedoes for the bosses? that's what I normally do.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Okay I'm on the case. By the time I'm done you'll have more powerups than you'll know what to do with.Sorry about that. When you've been playing it day in day out for what? nearly a year now you lose touch of how hard it is.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Since no one else seems to have mentioned it:>>>Events 09/06/03STAR FLEET _ X-BOMBER VERSION 1.0 AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD.Unfortunately, I was also greeted by this message:Star Fleet _ X-BOMBER Version 1.0 (3.97MB) Download Not Available - check again tomorrowAwww. Well, here's hoping for a prompt release!Also, several of the pages on the new server are now 404'd. I assume crash probably already knows about this; so, I won't complain too much. ;)
Crash

Post by Crash »

Yeah sorry. I ran the program after I uploaded it just to find that it was missing half of level 2.  I fixed it and its back up now.Sorry about that.I'm working on the site now There's stacks that wants doing to it. (I thought I'd best write the program first) However I'm due back in school tomorrow but we'll be damned if we're doing any work.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Clickteam AwardsHee hee. Now were cooking on gas.