Crash Override's Game - Work in Progress

Chat about creative work on other sites
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I thought CO could use another thread for his game rather than it being discussed in another random one. It deserves some publicity too judging from the screenshots you can find here:http://piersbell.tripod.com/crashoverride/id10.htmlFrom the looks of it, perhaps more of a constant scroller rather than a fixed screen Space Invaders type game? Is that an EDF fighter working as a wingman, incidentally? Looks very good...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Post by Crash »

Yes, uh thanks for the heads up on the dead Link fellas. Duh!Well what the program does is fool the poor human into thinking that it's going up the screen when infact everything else (stars, meteorites, bad guys etc.) are coming down so you don't actually go very far but you seem to be flyin' thru space. Yep it's the EDF Fighter from Ocean Fleet. It's quite clever as well. It chases down and knocks out even the biggest baddies with quite uncanny accuracy. I still have to figure out what ought to summon it; whether it be a powerup or just have it appear of its own accord every so often. But the gameplay is a lot like Raptor or a bit like Zone 66 only the scenery isn't like normal scenery it's randomly generated and changes slightly every time you play the level.It looks a little more blended than in real life by virtue that those are quite low-power .jpg's but it doesn't look half bad and the baddies are quite ... evil. I sometimes wonder if I'm bastardising someone's favourite show by adding new stuff, so if you see anything that's wrong or makes your blood run hot just let me know.
Dream big and bold and daring.
CondorJoe

Post by CondorJoe »

I think we all fall pray too barstedising as you put it. having made several fan productions or designing our own sequils. BTW I like the way youve made the grafics for your game. what programe are you using? I tryed too make a simple 2d shoot 'em up using blitz basic a while back. But being the simple minded point and click WYSIWYG guy I'am I can't be bothered to make one for real. 3D games constructor is more my calibre.
Crash

Post by Crash »

www.clickteam.comGet yourself a Games Factory. It's an absolute piece of cake. - Completely point and click. I understand there's a 3D version coming out and it's just as easy to use.I faffed about with visual and C++ for a bit and ... why? this is so much quicker (and better). Infact it's the kind of thing the pros use often enough.
Shane

Post by Shane »

That looks really good mate. I like the power ups, I tried to do some power ups in my aborted game but I think I went about it all the wrong way as they didn't work properly.I'm interested in the random generation you talk about in your game, how did you go about creating a random generator in games factory? Thats something I'd like to know how to do.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Okay you set up some blocks above the play area out of sight of the camera. You program them to perform a standard path movement across the top of the screen and loop it back so it never stops. (This is done in the Level editor, right clicking on the block and clicking "Movement"). From there you use the "Every 00:00.00" command from "Timer" in the Event Editor to create bad guys and scenery (0,0) from the block and in the same event line set the Alterable Values (if you need them) and initial direction of that object. The bad guy just has to point vaguely downwards so it travels across the screen in view of the camera.Don't command the computer to shoot an object from the block unless it's, like a star or scenery or something; since it generates a reduced version of that object; incapable of performing quite a few common tasks that you might need although it requires less processing power.It's good for stars 'cos there are a lot of them. Also make quite a few blocks to go across the top of the screen to disguise any patterns or periodicity.The easiest way to generate random numbers is to have an invisible object and program it to change direction to any of the 32 available every say 00:00.01. You then set events for if the object points up or down or anywhere in between. The computer changes the direction completely randomly (so it claims) although like Excel or Stats. programs it will have a set of guidelines of how to generate random numbers i.e. Poisson model, starting variable etc. but it is as random as you're likely to get.I use the same technique to select the incedental music from a list.Hope that answers your question.Anyway I'm getting Multimedia Fusion 1.5 for Christmas.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Thanks for that Crash. I shall give that a try.Shane.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Sure thing pal. Any problems gimme a yell.So how did your powerups go wrong? I might pick up some tips.What version of the old Games Factory are you runnin'? I understand there are some really clever upgrades (for free - phew) at that Clickteam joint so you can turn what any fair minded person would call a pretty mint package into something even more absolutely legend.
Shane

Post by Shane »

It's version 1.04 I'm guessing this is a very old version.I picked it up last christmas and just had a mess around with it over the festive season. I've not really done anything with it of late although I've always had half a mind of making a robot style beat-em-up using 3d poser model animations sent into the games factory as 2d image sequences. But hey TROM's taking enough time as it is.The power ups in my game worked kinda it's just that I may have used a long winded system. The main problems I encountered though was with the program itself. A lot of the things I programe to happen in the game don't always happen. Sometimes the player's ship will stop firing, or an enemy won't appear on screen one game and then will in another. The only thing I can think of is that I might be pushing the program or computer to it's limits. there is a lot of detail in the game I designed. Maybe too much.Anyway I might check out their site for an upgrade. Here's a little pic of the power ups that would have been employed in the game.1) normal fire2) 3 way fire3) neck cannon4) wing lasersShane.
Crash

Post by Crash »

That rocks!1.04 that's pretty sweet, mine's 1.06 which the last one they made. If you want the verification codes for the pro version which you download then I'm sure I can send you them off via the old email. Hee hee!The program's far from perfect with more glitches than I can count. (1, 2 ... oh not all that many then :-))The weapons I have are:Laser Torpedoes - WAPOW!!!Laser Cannons - Fairly feeble but not nearly as hungryLaser turrets (with auto-targetting - Oh yeah)X-Impulse (what need I say)?I reckon some more gadgets along the way wouldn't go amiss like rear-firing cannons (I think they crop up in the series somewhere) and improved shielding.As for TGF's slight misunderstanding there's millions of reasons why things might not happen; if the computer repeats the action too often sometimes it just gets bored of it (...go figure). Also if something's out of the play area it doesn't really do much.Oh yeah I get it!!! If youre using repeat while button is pressed the machine gets knackered after a while so limit it with a second condition, yeah?... So:Repeat while Joystick 1 pressed:---and--- Every 00:00.01:Then. tell it to do what you want and that'll solve your ship; firing problem. That always solves the rapid-fire problem for me.