Star Fleet: On a budget

Chat about creative work on other sites
Zordon

Post by Zordon »

I have been toiling over the possibility of creating 3 stand alone episodes. These episodes would simply tie in the end of SFTOAS and lay the ground work for one of our own seasons.Having a fair amount of knowledge now in prop making and video effects.we also have a few 3D modelers that have made very cool looking ships and robots.As puppets would have been a great way of doing this season, it would be a fairly expensive joint to re-create the puppets.I did make 3-4 puppet replicas a while back. they do look **** though!!I would possibly say this.I know a fair few props makers that could make life sized props. Shiro's Helmet, Weapons, heck I know one guy that could make a life sized dai-X costume.So the question is this. how to make an episode.should you have new characters (based on actors likeness's) Set's (where to base it?)Bad guys? do we make a full sized Impy master costume to fight Dai-x?I'll leave this with those who have been asking for something like this for a while.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
felice

Post by felice »

I assume that's an actor-sized Dai-X costume, not a giant robot sized one! 8)CGI would be the only viable way to make a new episode, I think, given how geographically scattered the fanbase is. And recreating the puppets in CGI would be a lot easier than trying to make CGI versions of real people - I'd be keen to attempt it, but unlikely to have the time for quite a while.
Zordon

Post by Zordon »

Yeah actor sized costume made from foan and board, and painted up.It's the actors that would be real people not CGI.the ships, craft, heck even some of the planets could be CGI.The filming would be done via Chromakey, with backgorunds added in later.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Crash

Post by Crash »

It's very tricky. I would love to make some cutscenes somehow for my game but I have no idea how to start.We obviously aren't as numerous as Power Rangers fans and it makes live very difficult. When you think of the planning and resources that went into making that little short about half-life 2 ...and all they needed were some airsoft guns and raggy clothing because HL2 is very down-to-earth in some respects. Even the guns would have been easier to obtain in the US because our controls on airsoft in the UK are amazingly restrictive.I would welcome any suggestions as to how to crank out some good clips for the game though.I was planning on sketching and scanning any objects and colouring them in photshop maybe. You could manipulate them easily enough in MMF2 or I could do it in some other software and load the output as an avi or something.I thought it was remarkably cheap that in Crysis2 it had like animated briefings with basically 3d wireframe maps and they didn't even make that so that it was rendered by *your* machine as you watched it. Instead you got a pre-rendered video with video compression artifacts galore that were quite noticeable even at 720p. That just seemed wrong to me when they could have coded the game to manipulate those maps and wireframes 'on the fly' with very little CPU overhead and no video artifacting.
Dream big and bold and daring.