New Fanfic story

Chat about creative work on other sites
Vanessa

New Fanfic story

Post by Vanessa »

Hey Shane, your ideas for the Great Skull sound pretty good.Before I wrote my fanfic, I had the opportunity to ask a professional screenplay writer a few questions and ask for some tips. The main thing he told me was to give your characters (the main ones) some history. That's what TV execs look for apparently (amongst other things). So if you can provide a plausible past for your "stars", you can show how this made them what they are today, and give them greater depth.So your thinking with the Great Skull is quite right.I have Captain Corliss as an ethereal time-travelling being (not unlike the Great Skull, but with MUCH reduced powers and influence). He takes the physical form of a being from the planet Esper, as he knows the importance of Lamia and Halley (his "son"). He could have got this information, and the inspiration to build the Skull Galleon from your Great Skull. This could explain why the ship is called The Skull, and it's headpiece could be modelled on a likeness to your character?I'm looking forward to seeing an illustration of the Great Skull (hint )The Great Skull would have known of the importance of the F-01, and hence he could have directed Corliss to Esper to ensure the prophesy came true. Especially as he could not do this himself, only being able to remain conscious for brief moments. This would tie both Corliss and the Great Skull to a historic timeline from the beginning of the F-01 campaign.How does this stack up with you?Zordon, can you explain "mitosis" to me? Not sure what you mean by it.Also, the story you are fleshing out here, is it Omega? Or a different story?Sorry, I'm getting a bit confused.I must admit, I'm not that good at coming up with new "mecha" I like to write about the psychological and emotional aspects more.I do think the idea of time passing at different rates on different planes or realities is a good one. I'm going to use this for my next fanfic as well.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Shane

New Fanfic story

Post by Shane »

Hey Vanessa, I think that sounds fab!It's pretty cool having Corliss assume the role of the Skull Captain and do all the things that The Great Skull is incapable of doing. The Great Skull is quite an ironic character really. Being possessed by 7 pure energy beings makes him near omnipotent but he very rarely has the chance to use this power as having to cope with 7 extra personalities means he can only remain conscious for short periods of time before he goes completely insane. So The Great Skull could be seen as a figure head/Inspiration for Corliss who then goes on and does what needs to be done.I'm going to treat him as a bit of a tragic hero figure in TROM. He's very discombobulated when he reawakens. The 7 extra personalities are often more of a hindrance than a help so his duel with Makara is on a level playing field, power-wise, even though it's effectively 7 pure energy beings versus 1 dark energy being/Thalian Ancient.Ah, a challenge eh? Yeah, why not. I'll do a sketch of The Great Skull to accompany the next chapter. I think I'm going the Mike Noble route when it comes to character design. He captured the look of the puppets perfectly, but in more realistic proportions. All the tech will be stylised though. As much as I like the Dai X in the show, its articulation is very limited.I have to admit I haven't done a great deal of creative writing prior to TROM, although I did study a 19th Century literature course as part of my degree, so I have a little bit of knowledge on structuring, although Jane Eyre never had to battle a Death Ball as far as I can remember. I certainly wouldn't consider myself a real writer, but I enjoy plotting and creating and illustrating new characters. And it's a relatively quick and easy way of continuing the SF saga. Mediums like comics and 3D Animation take an absolute age (And I don't have the skill, inclination or patience to create 3D Models like Bradster).I really enjoyed your story, and I was impressed by the quality and quantity of work. It was a real surprise to find out that somebody had written an all new 60+ page Star Fleet story out of the blue.I think your style really suits the timeline you're exploring and makes the characters and their subsequent adventures in other projects all the more stronger.

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Zordon

New Fanfic story

Post by Zordon »

(Vanessa @ Feb. 20 2011,16:55)QUOTEHey Shane, your ideas for the Great Skull sound pretty good.Before I wrote my fanfic, I had the opportunity to ask a professional screenplay writer a few questions and ask for some tips. The main thing he told me was to give your characters (the main ones) some history. That's what TV execs look for apparently (amongst other things). So if you can provide a plausible past for your "stars", you can show how this made them what they are today, and give them greater depth.So your thinking with the Great Skull is quite right.I have Captain Corliss as an ethereal time-travelling being (not unlike the Great Skull, but with MUCH reduced powers and influence). He takes the physical form of a being from the planet Esper, as he knows the importance of Lamia and Halley (his "son"). He could have got this information, and the inspiration to build the Skull Galleon from your Great Skull. This could explain why the ship is called The Skull, and it's headpiece could be modelled on a likeness to your character?I'm looking forward to seeing an illustration of the Great Skull (hint    )The Great Skull would have known of the importance of the F-01, and hence he could have directed Corliss to Esper to ensure the prophesy came true. Especially as he could not do this himself, only being able to remain conscious for brief moments. This would tie both Corliss and the Great Skull to a historic timeline from the beginning of the F-01 campaign.How does this stack up with you?Zordon, can you explain "mitosis" to me? Not sure what you mean by it.Also, the story you are fleshing out here, is it Omega? Or a different story?Sorry, I'm getting a bit confused.I must admit, I'm not that good at coming up with new "mecha"   I like to write about the psychological and emotional aspects more.I do think the idea of time passing at different rates on different planes or realities is a good one. I'm going to use this for my next fanfic as well.the story with Subaru in court, Mary making her first appearence (mary kyle not makara) all the way upto barry and lee doig some covert cookie sneaking in subaru's kitchen are all part of the ongoing omega saga.the prequil i wrote with mary and subaru developing the bio-tech prosthetics was shelved as it would not fit into any other no cannon fanfics.mitosis is based on an organism that can regrow from a single cell.much like how if you cut a worm in half you end up with two worms or how a starfish can regrow from a leg.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Vanessa

New Fanfic story

Post by Vanessa »

Shane, I'm glad you like my thinking With your kind permission, I will write about the Great Skull, and his meeting in times past, with Captain Corliss, and the setting in motion of the events on Esper, and the realisation of the F-01.Funny, it's all beginning to make sense and dovetail together.Just seen your Great Skull drawing, it's totally fab! How do you just seem to "churn 'em out" like that?I'm a BIG fan of Mike Noble's work. His Star Fleet stuff is simply divine, and as you say he captures the essense of the characters and turns them from puppets to believeable beings. That's why I couldn't resist the opportunity to acquire one of his original story boards from the Look-In SF strip. I'm currently searching out an A2 scanner so I can scan it in all it's glory in hi-res. Then I'll pop it on the X-archive for all to see.Well, you've studied more literature than me. It seems the SF forum is quite an intellectual one, with degree holders galore. I'm afraid I've no degree, other than in the university of life For someone who professes to not doing much creative writing, you sure can pen a story!Whilst we none of us can claim to be professional writers, it's great fun to have a go. And your enjoyment and enthusiasm in creating TROM are obvious.As you say, it's the quickest route to creating more Star Fleet action. I certainly was left wanting more when the original series ended.I can't do any drawings or 3D modelling, and certainly I can't create a comic strip!Brad's work is so impressive, and it's crying out to be used in a Star Fleet CGI feature.I'm very pleased (and surprised) that you enjoyed my story, and that it was a nice surprise to find some new stuff to read. My engineering job allows little scope for such creativity, and I really only wrote the whole thing for my own enjoyment. I'm glad I got the courage to "put it out there". The fact that some one liked it as well is a real bonus
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Vanessa

New Fanfic story

Post by Vanessa »

QUOTEthe story with Subaru in court, Mary making her first appearence (mary kyle not makara) all the way upto barry and lee doig some covert cookie sneaking in subaru's kitchen are all part of the ongoing omega saga.the prequil i wrote with mary and subaru developing the bio-tech prosthetics was shelved as it would not fit into any other no cannon fanfics.mitosis is based on an organism that can regrow from a single cell.much like how if you cut a worm in half you end up with two worms or how a starfish can regrow from a leg.I'd like to read more of the Omega saga Zordon. I'm wondering what happens after the "cookie" incident!As Brad says, all the canon stuff is up for grabs, none of us owns it, so it's a shame you shelved your storyline.I understand the mitosis thing now, thanks So as I understand it, your current storyline isn't Omega. So why not give it a name?Where does this tale fit in with the other fanfics, timeline-wise? Or is it independant of these?
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Shane

New Fanfic story

Post by Shane »

(Vanessa @ Feb. 21 2011,23:37)QUOTEShane, I'm glad you like my thinking With your kind permission, I will write about the Great Skull, and his meeting in times past, with Captain Corliss, and the setting in motion of the events on Esper, and the realisation of the F-01.Funny, it's all beginning to make sense and dovetail together.Just seen your Great Skull drawing, it's totally fab! How do you just seem to "churn 'em out" like that?I'm a BIG fan of Mike Noble's work. His Star Fleet stuff is simply divine, and as you say he captures the essense of the characters and turns them from puppets to believeable beings. That's why I couldn't resist the opportunity to acquire one of his original story boards from the Look-In SF strip. I'm currently searching out an A2 scanner so I can scan it in all it's glory in hi-res. Then I'll pop it on the X-archive for all to see.Well, you've studied more literature than me. It seems the SF forum is quite an intellectual one, with degree holders galore. I'm afraid I've no degree, other than in the university of life For someone who professes to not doing much creative writing, you sure can pen a story!Whilst we none of us can claim to be professional writers, it's great fun to have a go. And your enjoyment and enthusiasm in creating TROM are obvious.As you say, it's the quickest route to creating more Star Fleet action. I certainly was left wanting more when the original series ended.I can't do any drawings or 3D modelling, and certainly I can't create a comic strip!Brad's work is so impressive, and it's crying out to be used in a Star Fleet CGI feature.I'm very pleased (and surprised) that you enjoyed my story, and that it was a nice surprise to find some new stuff to read. My engineering job allows little scope for such creativity, and I really only wrote the whole thing for my own enjoyment. I'm glad I got the courage to "put it out there". The fact that some one liked it as well is a real bonus Please incorporate any of my mad ramblings into any of your stories, I'd be very flattered. I think I'm using TROM to get myself into practice as I've had an unrelated comic project on the mental sidelines for ages now that I've been trying to get off the ground, but it would require me to churn out, on average, 6 drawings per page for 48 pages, so that's a good 288 drawings!That's about 6 months to a year's work at my current speed, so I'm hoping to pick up speed with some sketches for TROM. 2 a week is a casual pace, although granted there is a bit of designing involved which makes it a slightly different process than sequential story telling with all your characters already designed.The university of life is often a better institution. I finished my degree rather belatedly and so I'm on the lookout for graduate positions at the moment, hence the downtime.
Zordon

New Fanfic story

Post by Zordon »

The story with the cookies, is Omega, it's just a retelling. I scrapped the original idea but decided to keep the part of Subaru talking with the kid in the x-bomber museum hanger as it would be a nice way of him remembering the crew and also the adventures he was on.Oh and heres a list of the characters i'm killing or have killed off already.Barry Hercules - is killed durring the first part of the 5 mini chapters, Gelmar (Imperial Master) punches a fist sized hole through Dai-X kiling barry instently.General Kyle - assasinated by the corrupt Nael companny exceutive Sabastine LagunShiro - Thought to be dead durring a routine run around the Sargaso patroling area. will he return?Giro Yomada - Genji Yomada's father (crew of Dragon Bomber) dies durring a rebelion on Nael - has information that would lead to Sabastine's involvement in Gen Kyles death.Susan Lamora - Mary's helmswoman on Dragon Bomber - is taken over via a transmission from the imperial master, corrupts her mind and creates a tempory sybiant from her headset. Leads her to the D-Bombers engine Core. Dies durring a core explosion which the crew manage to contain.PPA - technically he won't die just his original body that gets wrecked. gets an upgraded body which can dock with a combat droid that looks a bit like a ball like body with arm and legs, (think Boss Borot) - nice little homage to Go Nagai's Mazinger saga.Number 1 and 2 - although not named they are assasinated by Lagun due to thier connections with Gen Kyle.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Vanessa

New Fanfic story

Post by Vanessa »

I like the sound of your comic project Shane. I like to have a few "mental projects" of my own ticking away in the sidelines. I have a plan to create a detailed model of Makara's <Kathaar> Imperial Cruiser. Using CAD, and then a 3D milling machine to create the basic shape in wood, and then add detail and paint.One day perhaps.It's a good idea to use TROM to practise and kick-start your other projects though.Good luck with creating 288 drawings! Sunds like quite an undertaking! I hope you see it through, and maybe put it on the 'net for us to see.And I wish you success with finding a graduate position. I know how tough it is out there, having been in and out of work many times Anyway, here's a brief synopsis of The Eternal Continuum:This is a story which initially picks up from where The Rise of the Alliance left off.As Makara and Orion chase after Lamia's pod, towards earth, I explore some more Thalian life aboard the cruiser.Some new Thalian characters will take part.The Sailing Ship "The Skull" is never too far away, and intervenes to try to slow Makara down, and to try to stop her causing too much destruction to other lifeforms on the way! As this is going on, a young Halley is growing up on the Skull, and finding out about his true destiny.Meanwhile, Professor Hagen is heading out into the solar system, in the craft designed from the plans he gained from Lamia's pod. The ship contains a large transponder, so is quite visible to all, including Makara!As we all know, Hagen's ship breaks down, and Makara breaks off her pursuit of Lamia to investigate.The Sailing ship The Skull intervenes, and saves Hagen.The Imperial Master orders Makara back to her main mission, and the Skull escapes and transports Hagen to safety on planet M12 in the Callinean system. Here he meets the remnants of the civilisation from Planet Esper, which was all but destroyed by Makara earlier.Hagen uses another of the plans from Lamia's pod to create the huge gun that will one day defend Planet M12/Callinean system from Makara.We then take a change of scenery and go to the ethereal plane, where the spirits of Corliss and Mary have escaped to, thus avoiding Makara's wrath.All is not well on the heavenly plane, as Mary does not feel she should be there. She wants her old body back, and is furious at Corliss for not being more truthful with her. Corliss begins a long tale, with many flashbacks, detailing his past, Makara's past, and the whole good/bad ying and yang of the universe. He recalls his meeting with the Great Skull, and how he takes physical form to go to Esper and ensure the safety of Halley and the F-01.The original space galleon "The Skull" was started by Corliss, as influenced by the Great Skull. But then canned by the royal council on Esper who abhor violence. Furious, Corliss leaves Esper, and using his other-worldly powers, tires to track down his one-time lover, Makara.Corliss reveals to Mary how both he and Makara were once ethereal energy beings, pure and good, before Makara fell from grace and into the influence of the Imperial Master. His control of the Symbiont technology from the Great Skull's planet allowed him to corrupt and possess Makara for his own evil ends. From this point it becomes clear that Corliss is an inter-dimensional traveller. As his next revelation to Mary is quite shocking; The entire Star Fleet saga has been played out before, on six of the seven parallel universes, with Makara cheating death and escaping to the next dimension each time she is killed. Although, travel to the next dimension on is more difficult than the last, and each time she tries to hide her tracks from Corliss, who relentlessly pursues his ex-lover across dimension after dimension.Until, they both arrive at the final 7th dimension.Makara hides away as a fictional character in a children's TV puppet show (we all know as Star Fleet), hoping to elude Corliss. Corliss himself is pulled into the final dimension by the Great Skull, as he knows the importance of saving the final dimension from evil. Each of the Great Skull's multiple personalities have come from each of the seven dimensions, increasing his power, but reducing his sanity. He can only point Corliss in a vauge direction towards Esper and Halley/Lamia.Corliss has to find Makara, and eventually he senses her presence (they share a link) on earth in the year 1983.As we know, Makara can't hide forever, and uses the medium of Television to infect the young mind of Mary's original male form. As we know from the events of The Rise of the Alliance, Corliss seeks out Mary by the year 2000, but is unable to help rid her of Makara's spirit. Out of despair, he flees back to Esper, and the events of The Rise of the Alliance unfold.Followed by Star Fleet, and all the following fanfic stories, which are still unfolding, Corliss and Mary are only able to watch from the ethereal plane.But time passes at a different rate on this plane, and Mary is unable to feel at home there. She longs for her physical form, so cruelly torn from her. She bides her time until Makara is at her weakest, at the end of all the battles.Are you all still with me? So you see, I could really do with knowing what happens to the original Makara, one-time lover of Corliss, and still in possession of the remnants of Mary Brady's body, After all the events of all the fanfics.It is at this point that I want to be able to pick this thread up, and have the final confrontation between Corliss and Makara. Will they become lovers again? Will Makara remain evil without her symbiote or the influence of the now dead Master? Will Mary intervene and cause complications? Will she get her body back? This is the final crux of all my themes and schemes. I'm not revealing the ending. But I just need a bit of help with some final detals guys. And of course, do you approve?
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

New Fanfic story

Post by Crash »

We killed General Kyle? that is a bummer.Don't kill him until my game is done with him lol!
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

New Fanfic story

Post by Shane »

Yeah, Dave is playing hardball at his point in the saga. I think it occurs a couple of years after my two tales? There's a kind of Star Fleet the next generation feel going on with OMEGA, but with lots of links to the past. Sounds great and defo looking forward to the final dukeroo between the Dai-ruken and the Imperial Master!Vanessa, that is some serious out of the box thinking there! It's a great device to actually incorporate our own dimension within the story, but at the same time it doesn't diminish the series itself or any of the fanfics after. I like it!The only thing I have a little bit of confusion with is:'His control of the Symbiont technology from the Great Skull's planet allowed him to corrupt and possess Makara for his own evil ends.' I have the Great Skull originating from a steam punk world full of Skull like flying ships. His world is based in one of the many other dimensions that exist apart from our own. I hadn't planned on his world to have anything to do with the symbionts, as he returns there in The Return of the Dai Warriors to try to recruit reinforcements for the dirty great battle in the second half of my sequel.However your own plot sorts this out as The Great Skull can encounter the 7 energy beings from different dimensions on his travels. And the Imperial Master has the symbiont thing going on on Gelmar as described in The Rise of the Alliance, so he's got the goods to corrupt Makara.Overall It's a fine concept, as if there is another great story being interwoven within many other possible stories.It reminds me of a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode where Buffy is in an asylum believing that all her vampire slaying tv adventures are real. I love that kind of deconstruction.