Star Fleet: TROM Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Chat about creative work on other sites
Crash

Post by Crash »

I'd noticed how they mixed up the ranks in Star Fleet.I wonder if it was because of the translation. The japanese seem to have fewer ranks that you hear of in anime. Maybe they were left with several options when it came to translating taisa or whatever and they just chose what sounded most fitting.In Gundam and suchlike you only really hear of shoi, chui, taii, shosa and taisa, which is what they used in WWII.Infact it looks like the army and navy had the same ranks at that time but researching any military's customs is a real headache.Those covers are great, man! The TROM one is the best though. Good work with your Gimpmask linux-sympathising software.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Cheers, Crash. Yeah, my current photo manipulation software has a rather unfortunate name. Actually it does the job to a similar standard to Photoshop, but it's not without its annoying quirks. I might have to have a gander at what is available out there these days.That's interesting about Gundam. I tried to compare other similar shows like Babylon 5 and the new Battlestar Galactica which seem to have commander as the highest rank before the 'desk job' ranks.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

This is an interesting thread!I absolutely LOVE your cover images Shane   Thanks for creating one for my own fanfic!Actually I'd like to print it out and use it as the actual cover for hard copies of my story. I hand them out to friends and colleagues from time to time, as I'm always interested in feedback, and it's all been positive so far.Would this be OK?If so, could I be really cheeky?Could you change the cover image ever-so-slightly?Could you put a small image of Makara on one side of the Star Fleet "Star", and the Alliance cruiser on the other side?And put at the bottom:"By Vanessa De Bryer"Sorry to ask, but that'd be sooo cool!Then I can use it as an actual cover   BTW, its OK of course if you don't want to I found the Japanese military rank info really interesting Crash, thank you for sharing it   I love this forum as I always learn stuff that I find fascinating.

Evasive Manoeuvres!
Shane

Post by Shane »

Yeah, no problem at all Vanessa. I'd be happy to customise the cover image to your requirements. It's great that you're printing your story out. I'd love to be able to print out a Star Fleet omnibus edition one day containing all the fanfics and the transcribed stories from the 1984 annual.Anyhoo, The posters on X-Archive at the moment are 50% of their actual size, so I'll provide you with a full sized high quality version of the amended cover for printing purposes.I was thinking of doing some variations anyway, as I was a little stumped as to what to use for the cover of Genesis and could probably produce a more interesting variant cover, thinking about it.
Zordon

Post by Zordon »

in omega the original characters remaining arebarrylee prof hagenppanew charactersMirandaGenjiHikaruLeroySusanEmmaMarySabastineAnnaleeGirothe problem with Omega is that there are so many charcters new and oldcharacters that will be ok or diebarry - dieslee - OKprof hagen - OKppa - Dies but gets upgradedMiranda - OKGenji - OKHikaru - OKLeroy - OKSusan - DIES realy badlyEmma- OKMary - dies ok cloned buys a t-shirt Sabastine - Killl him kill him with fire!!!Annalee - OKGiro - Dies in the prequil to omegaGen Kyle - Deader than DeadShiro - pronounced deadShadow - No information in the databasethose are all the characters that are either mine or used from previous fanficsmaybe we should make up a list of characters like a guide and figure out whose still alive.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Thanks Shane, you are so kind When you say that the posters are 50% of their actual size, what size is that?I'd need A4 size if poss.I was thinking on the same lines about the omnibus edition. But also to include a scripted version of the original series, so a reader can work through the entire story from beginning to end.I can help with printing BTW I'll have to do a character list with details for TRA.I'll sort it tonight.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Well, I'm not sure where to put this post exactly, as I've taken the quote from Shane in the Omega thread, yet it deals with Steampunk stuff, however, it's directly relevant to Shane's TROM sequel "TROTDW" (hmm, not sure about that acronym, it's not quite as bad as TROTA though! ) QUOTEOh yes please! That would be fantastic if you could handle the Great Skull world chapters. Yes indeedy, they're looking to get some reinforcements and a way back to the SF universe to fight the Imperial Master.At the beginning of TROMs sequel the heroes are split into two groups.One group consists of Shiro, Hercules, Lee, Lamia and The Great Skull aboard his ship who, having made a last minute dimensional escape jump at the end of TROM, find themselves in the Great Skull's home world in the same time period as when the Great Skull first left.The other group consists of Prof. Hagen, Emma Steel and PPA in a heavily damaged X-Bomber limping back to Earth in order to warn EDF of the reemergence of the Imperial Master.Each group isn't sure of what has become of the other after the sound beating they took at the end of TROM, but they are re-united halfway through the story on Earth with the remainder of the tale involving a huge battle between the Alliance and EDF with the aid of some steam assisted allies. Anyway, I've put my musings here for now, but maybe you should start a "Return of the Dai Warriors Discussion Thread (Spoilers)" Shane? After watching Brian Cox's most excellent TV series about the Wonders of the Universe, I've had an idea about how the folk living on the Great Skull's planet could harness the fuel to run their steam powered world. IIRC, Brian alluded to a Supernova event (imploding star) giving rise to a Nebula which contains many different compounds and elements, including many carbon-based complex molecules. In other words, stuff that could, with a little artistic licence, be construed as being convertible to a carbon-based fuel...Not a million miles away from coal are we? So, not wishing to put any spoilers out here, I was thinking of introducing the Great Skull's world as a planet existing on the edges of a Nebula similar to the Orion (not to be confused with "our" Captain Orion!) Nebula. With fleets of sailing ships a-la Skull-like (from the canon), that trawl this nebula for elemental particles to build their ships, and complex carbon molecules to fuel them. Maybe with the use of vast "Trawler nets" of fine spun rare-element threads. these would make a spectacular sight for Shiro and friends as they approached the Great Skull's world. With the nets glistening as if spun from Gold.A world full of beautiful elegant metal machines, like the Victorians made using Brass. The colourful metals of Copper and Gold could abound on this world, to give great visuals of a Steampunk glory-era.I'm just warning up here Whadya think?
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Shane

Post by Shane »

I think that would be absolutely amazing!I've got an incentive to finish TROM now so I can start on my part of Dai Warriors.    I'll make a Dai Warrior thread shortly with a basic plot, although at the moment it's much more straightforward than TROM and you really have free rein to do what you want as long as they get back to Earth with a few ships in tow.  

Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

OK Cool I'll post some more ideas for these opening chapters on the new thread when it's ready. In the meantime, I've been thinking about the communications systems on the Great Skull's homeworld...By the way, this world needs a name, do you have one yet?Anyways, communications...Thanks to FZeroOne's online photoalbum showing lots of old WWII encoding/encryption machines, I've had some thoughts about this for the Great Skull's world (GSW?). I think it might be fun to have a communication system that's almost so antiquated, that it sneaks under the Alliance's radar, and allows the Great Skull's battle fleet to communicate without the Alliance finding out.I'm thinking initially of describing a great hall on the GSW, that is filled with a huge mechanical computer, complete with a myriad of shiny brass gears whirring away, set in jewelled escapements. Very much like Charles Babbage's Inference Engine, only more advanced and much bigger. This is able, through the use of an encoder disc and a form of analogue transmission signal, to communicate to all the various ships in the GSW and the Nebula. Each of the ships has an identical disc, and a smaller version of the inference engine, to decode and receive/transmit messages. The medium used could be akin to a kind of morse code. This would remain indecipherable to the Alliance, and allow the Great Skull and his fleet to help Shiro and friends to final victory.The smaller mechanical communication computers aboard each ship could be powered by clockwork, and be thus immune to any modern jamming and eavesdropping techniques that the Alliance would use. Needless to say, the captain of each ship would do anything in his/her powers to prevent any of the discs being captured by the Alliance, cue some suitable heroics on the odd occasion Maybe the X-Bomber could be given such a device when they are all re-united on Earth before the final battle?Just imagine what PPA would make of it Need to think of some suitable Steampunk weapons that are able to be effective against The Alliance next...
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Shane

Post by Shane »

That sounds really cool!It reminds me of the new Battlestar galactica pilot where Adama's Galactica is purposefully decked out with antiquated computer systems that aren't connected to a network in any way which saves it from a giant system hack from the Cylons.I like your idea of 'the path not taken' here, where the antiquated technology is actually on some levels superior, especially against the alliance which has a tendency to assimilate and counterattack other technologies, (this is certainly one of the main themes in TROM). Maybe your proposed tech could be immune to these effects, as well as the benefits you mention regarding radar and communications via analogue systems.Yeah, the X-Bomber is an absolute wreck when it reaches Earth, so maybe an engineer from the GSW (yeah, need to think of a name here) could have a tinker with X-Bomber. As a plot device, you'd probably want to make the discs uber rare, so that X-Bomber becomes the only earth based ship to benefit from their unique powers. I guess the engineers ship could be cannibalized and stripped of its disc to give the X-Bomber a new lease of life. Yeah, I can just imagine the engineer and PPA squabbling as they fly into battle.I'll get that sequel thread sorted!