Star Fleet: TROM Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Chat about creative work on other sites
Shane

Post by Shane »

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Zordon

Post by Zordon »

TOAS - The Original Animated(questionable seeing as they are puppets) SeriesYeah I opted to change the name of my mary character to Miranda so not to confuse people with the Mary / Makara.Although I was thinking that If Makara's human form (mary) was cloned in case her body became unusable, the alliance would have a fresh copy to use.with this the alliance made 3 copiesMakara mk 2 which I assume could work well for shaneMary / makara an untouched version of makara who looks like mary but has all of makara's evil poured into herand finallyMary A pure version of makara who retains all of her mary qualities but is in a younger body that that of her original.I was thinking if Lamia was still around that she would be the one to set her free from the clone prison.Maybe lamia in her spirt form will stow away in Mary ?who knows
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Crash

Post by Crash »

That was my guess but I figured I'd keep quiet. Animated definitely connotes an animated drawing; hand-created or otherwise and, at a stretch, stop-motion.Makes sense that the alien army would keep backups.Those drawings are insanely good. Are those done in Photoshop or hand drawn?
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Post by Shane »

The Z-Cruiser is a pencil and pen sketch.The Dai-Z Robot and Fighter one is a shopped (I use a freeware program called Gimp) version of the original Dai-Z pencil and pen sketch I did. It seemed the quickest and easiest way to work out an alternative fighter mode for the Dai-Z. I think if it was actually a model it would just about work too.And the scale comparison image is a cut and paste affair incorporating my scaled down drawings and pre-existing images of the X-Bomber and the Dai-X. I'll be using that as a guide for any new craft I design. I'm a stickler for keeping things in scale.

Crash

Post by Crash »

Yeah, well figuring out how things transform is a real headache for me.I have a 1/72 kit of the new Valkyrie from Macross F, which transforms. I couldn't draw you a diagram of how it does it, the sequence is so clever.But then the Fighter, Gerwalk and Robot modes all look terrific. Definitely the best VF yet.Gimp was pretty good last time I used it but that was a long time ago. It seemed to have a million menus and windows spread out everywhere.At least the new photoshops are easier to use than they used to be. I obtained CS4 Master and the Photoshop in there is a superb effort, really.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Post by Shane »

I haven't used any of the newer photoshops. My last computer had a very old version installed and I would consider Gimp to be on par with that.I'm only cleaning up pencil and pen drawings for the most part, so I don't need too many features. The fact that it is entirely free is also very cool indeed!
Shane

Post by Shane »

After reading Rise of the Alliance again, I'm going to make a few slight changes to my handling of the Thalian Symbiotes in TROM. It won't change the basic plot drastically, but will ultimately be more in keeping with the history and timeline found in Vanessa's story.After the successful implantation of a Thalian ancient/symbiont onto Makara, the Imperial Master repeated this process on Captain Arkama. This was at the beginning of the F01 campaign which found the Imperial Master and his forces thinly spread trying to maintain rule in a conquered galaxy, while his emissary searched for the F01.Concerned that the unthinkable might happen and the F01 might not be found or defeated in time he needed a backup plan. he implanted false memories within Arkama's symbiont and a set of orders to be carried out in the event of the Imperial Master's death or capture.During the F01 campaign Arkama was given easy missions along the rim worlds, much to his frustration. The Imperial Master ensured that Arkama wouldn't be drawn into major conflicts so that he would survive in the event that the Alliance fell.Arkama now under control of his symbiont are now on their way to unwittingly release a trap on 'the lost planet of the ancients'.The 4 chapters released so far will probably benefit from a very slight tinker, here and there (no major plot changes though) to keep things in a more consistent time line, before I compile it into its final format. For instance - Arkama is given the same style ship as Makara which is classed as Kathaar in Vanessa's story. I have it as something else in chapter 1 of my story, so I will amend chapter 1 at some point and refer to Arkama's battle cruiser from here on in as Kathaar class.Also, the scene with the Battle Cruiser attacking the artificial moon will be omitted in the final draft as having this lost world protected by weapons or a warrior monk race (as was originally the case) is unnecessary in light of the revised plot.Might try and scribble out a very rough time-line later on. After reading Rise of the Alliance again I think there is definitely a Space War 3 story that needs to be written featuring a young General Kyle.

Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

I must say I'm loving the creative fluidity of this forum right now. It was so quiet for ages, what a change!I'm in awe of your latest sketches Shane. The Z-cruiser and Transforming Dai-Z are sooooo crying out to be created as cool action figures. I'd have loved them as a kid (and I'm still a big kid at heart).I really like the extra Makara/Mary clones idea Zordon. I am going to re-jig my next fic (TEC) to make use of this idea and fit in more with your story.I'm not sure why Shane would need to use Makara Mk2 though, as he's written the original Makara in already. In fact, she survives The Return of the Dai Warriors too, so she could star in an un-reborn state in Omega as well?I can see the idea in having clone spares of her (in different ways) just like Ripley in Alien IV. But surely the alliance would only re-awaken the next one when the original had been killed?I would very much like to change my TEC story to make use of the extra Pure Mary clone. As Mary's spirit was left on the the ethereal plane at the end of The Rise of the Alliance (crummy acronym ) It would be possible that she would get to meet Lamia's spirit there.It would be so cool if Lamia could set this pure clone free for Mary's spirit to occupy, thus giving her back the body she so craves. Would this be possible in Omega?I'm chuffed you've taken the Rise of the Alliance on board so much Shane That you are re-writing your epic to take in some of my musings is all quite surreal for me. My tale now has a life of it's own Makara's Symbiote implant was a success, so it's only logical that the Imperial Master woud repeat the process with other commanders. Cool lateral thinking!You've even decided to use the Kathaar Ship I got a lot of my idea cues from Andy's Genesis, and his style of naming the Alliance ships seemed pretty cool (slightly Klingon maybe?). So that gave me the idea to use a similar style name. The idea of a ship based on an organic form, came from three places: The Alliances modus operandii of using organic matter, the fish-like shape of the ship itself on TOAS, and also I remember a Sci-fi series with an organic ship before (maybe it was called Farscape?) and I liked the idea.I sooo want to write about a young General Kyle! I know what you mean there! He's quite a character and deserves his own mini-series! Maybe Capt. Carter would be in that too?One for another day methinks...
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Shane

Post by Shane »

Yeah, it's all gravy at the moment! I had my own ideas for the Thalian ancients, but they were fairly close to yours, just set on another planet. My ideas were problematic though and far too complicated plot-wise, so I'm happy to use your story as the guide for all things Thalian. As I said before, it makes my job easier and allows me to get to the robot on robot action with less headaches. Did you have a rough date for when the Imperial Master came into being? Was it thousands of years before the tv series? It's just that I need the Imperial Master to have come into contact with the Omnibeast sometime in the past.Yeah, Space War 3 would be a great story, down the line. I guess Captain Carter is in his 40s in the series. If Space War 3 occurred a couple of years before Subaro Hagen's academy days you could just about place a young Captain Carter into one of the final battles.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Glad to have made your life easier Right, to your question, first some background to my thinking time-wise. TOAS used Parsec as a measure of time, and Milliton as a measure of distance. I found these were a bit too crude, so I divisioned them out into more usable units.My timescale units were (from shortest to longest):ParsecMilli-ParsecCenti-ParsecK-ParsecDemi-ParsecTerra-ParsecAnd the distance ones (from shortest to longest) were:Emi-MillitonFrac-MillitonMillitonI have it in my story that the ancient energy beings attracted to the Thalian Planet (Gelmar Capacitor) were almost as old as the stars themselves. So many billions of years, or Terra-Parsecs, ago.Countless Terra-parsecs later, the first space travellers unfortunate enough to pass by this planet (I called it Thalian, but it's also known as Gelmar) were drawn in and consumed by these first energy beings.Then countless Demi-parsecs (millions of years) later, more craft passed by this planet, giving more scope for the energy beings to take physical form. Certainly no more than a Demi-Parsec or so on from this time, the large meteorite hit the Thalian Planet, giving rise to the rock matter (The planet itself consists of special elements that hold energy, but are NOT rock) that formed the basic building blocks for the body that was to become the Imperial Master's.From the point of his creation I have estimated a Terra-Parsec or so (Billion years) for him to begin his conquest of the galaxy. This gives him a lot of time to evolve both himself and his race into the Thalian force we know from TOAS.Not the most rational timeline maybe, but I wanted to try to plausibly allow enough time for simple energy beings (would these be gods?) to start the evolution process that would eventually create the Thalian Imperial Alliance. I always reckoned that by the time the F-01 was "born", the Imperial Master was basically at the brink of total galaxy domination, and near the end of his quest, power-wise.All in all, this gives you a bit more than a billion years time period from his creation to the year 3000, in which to engineer a meeting between him and your "omnibeast".I hope this helps?Sorry about the long length of the reply, never ask an engineer for a "rough" answer unless you want a long reply

Evasive Manoeuvres!