Star Fleet: Omnibus

Chat about creative work on other sites
Shane

Post by Shane »

Vanessa and I have already talked about this and it's been raised on the forum before, but I think it's a definite goer and would be great if we could have a collected edition featuring all of the Star Fleet written material both official and fan made.At the moment we have:COMPLETED - Rise of the Alliance (by Vanessa), Star Fleet: Genesis (by Andy).ALMOST COMPLETED - Star Fleet: The Revenge of Makara (by me) and Star Fleet: Shadow Zone (Story 1 from the 1984 annual which I have started to type up).WORKS IN PROGRESS - Full series transcription by Joe and Dave's Star Fleet: Omega/CheckmateOther things in the Pipeline are:Typing up the other story from the 1984 annual.Adapting the stories from the LookIn comic strips.And Vanessa's next story along with Star Fleet: Return of the Dai Warriors.It shouldn't be the hardest thing to do once the material is at hand. It's just a case of placing everything in chronological order within the Star Fleet time-line.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

I had been thinking just the same thing. An HTML version would be nice and clickable.I think bundling it up in a PDF or Word Document would get in the way.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Yeah, that's a good idea. We could have the Omnibus as a fully functional website!The PDF's will be fine for the hardcore or someone who wants to maybe print the stories out, although it would take a fair few printer cartridges. Probably best to keep it in the digital domain and make it fully interactive.I am however under no illusions that probably only a handful of people are following TROM so I'm trying to keep myself happy first and foremost, I think you have to with these things. If someone reads it - Great! If they like it, that's a bonus!I think a nice summary of all the events in the Star Fleet timeline might be useful to someone with an interest, but who doesn't want to invest the time reading hundreds of thousands of words.

Zordon

Post by Zordon »

sounds good to me,I'll be heading back into the creative world in a few weeks to round off the first 10 chapters.10 whole chapters of nothing but in fighting and bickering. and we've only just launched Barry and his 2 crews off.so much more to this story once i get my fingre out.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

I think that once all the stories that Shane has mentioned have been completed and edited ready for the Omnibus, it will be almost a prerequisite to have some form of guide/summary for the uninitiated or those with little time to read it all.Who'd a thought that SF Fans could be so prolific with their creative endeavours.I must admit that I'm only able to create my stories as word documents, I've no idea how to "HTML" things... (Luddite alert!!!) If someone cleverer than me was able to digitise my scribblings to make them website friendly, I'd be most grateful though.I'll still have a crack at printing out and getting bound up a complete Star Fleet Omnibus, as I do like to settle down with a "real" book, but I am old-fashioned...
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Shane

Post by Shane »

Oh yeah, I'd still love a printed version of the Omnibus. I'm happy to read stories on a screen if that's the only way, but I try not to go down the ebook route if I am able to get hold of a hard copy book.I used to be a comic geek until the early 90s and really appreciate the entire collections of comics that are now available in digital format, but I still prefer cracking open my old comic boxes now and again and reading the real thing. I think it will be just a case of providing the stories in multiple formats. PDFs for printing or text on a screen.I could quite easily paste the stories into an html page and even add links to certain names that could be directed to a profile section. So for instance the word Kathaar would link to its own profile page containing info of what it is and when it was introduced.I think a time line would be very useful as well, not only to readers, but to potential fan fiction writers out there, as we are starting to weave together a highly complex tale now with plenty of jumping off points for new stories.It might even be worth sketching it out roughly in a forum post which we could then all edit between us. I'll sort that later on.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Your thinking sounds very good.My brother used to love comics, he had all the MASK comics and he also used to read the 2000AD comic. I used to borrow these latter comics, and they were well written and produced. I loved the ABC Warriors and the Hammerstein character.It would be great if you could create HTML pages using the typed text. Adding links via specific words to profile pages (like you see on Wiki' pages, et al..) would be really cool. I don't mind writing some of the profile pages for that.I sense that we might need a 1-page timeline for all the Star Fleet Original and FanFic material, with maybe word links via the story titles mentioned in the timeline to a brief summary page for that particular story/fanfic.Any good?A dedicated forum post on the subject would be a good idea to flesh out the initial timeline, and submit the various story summaries that could be linked to it.It certainly needs to be available for any new readers trying to make sense of it all.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Shane

Post by Shane »

ABC Warriors was one of my absolute faves! The Simon Bisley drawn stories, in particular, were incredible and Joe Pineapples was the man! Well, a metal man with a human heart in his chest compartment and a fetish for wearing women's underwear. Only in 2000AD! Marvel and DC with their comics code just wouldn't go there.The HTML route would be good I think, and I completely agree with you about writing a page that details the entire epic timeline from the birth of the Star Fleet universe (Detailed in your story) to Dave's OMEGA.A story summary for Star Fleet: The Series is definitely needed as a key reference point, whether it's for writing prequels or sequels.For example, I'm finding that I would like to show my story to some of my friends, but I'm a little worried that TROM might not be stand alone enough and could be a little confusing for non fanatics. I reckon a page or two that summarizes the events of the show would do the trick though.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Cool! Glad you liked the ABC warriors as well.Yes I do remember the name Simon Bisley, it was all very good.I don't remember Joe Pineapples though...?But one or two other stories stuck in my head.There was a story where a guy in one of the blocks was collecting memorabilia/items from the 1980's, which was all regarded as contraband by Judge Dredd's time, and the guy got arrested for having things I remember owning at the time, and I found that funny back then lol!There was also a really cool story called Lady Killers (I think) and one of the characters reminded me a bit of Makara, being a female cyborg-type, hell bent on revenge!Those were the days, as you say Marvel/DC wouldn't go there. I wasn't a fan of the more sanitized Marvel/DC fare.Maybe if you want to pass your story around your friends, (and why not, that's what I did with my TRA story) you should write a bespoke Star Fleet In-a-nutshell prelude for them? For the non-fanatic as you say You should certainly be proud of your epic tale!
Evasive Manoeuvres!