Cameo in Where's Wall-E? picture

Chat about creative work on other sites
Crash

Post by Crash »

Looked this up on Google Images.Read: Relevant to my interests!
Dream big and bold and daring.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

I have to say how utterly impressed I am with this beautifully drawn and researched piece.   It was fascinating to browse through so many "old favourites" and also to see many 'bots totally new to me.I was especially pleased to see the following make an appearance:Ludwig, the violin-playing faceted egg.Maria from Fritz Lang's Metropolis.ED209 from Robocop.T-Bob from MASK.The robots from "The Black Hole".Huey, Dewie and Louis from Silent Running.Hammerstein from 2000AD.Jet Jaguar from Godzilla vs Megalon, et al.Metal Mickey.One of the robots from the Smash commercials.The moon robot from "A Grand Day Out".Box the ice robot from Logan's Run.Gort from The Day The Earth Stood Still.Dot Matrix from Spaceballs.One of the Scutters.Sgt. Bash.Both versions of Marvyn from HHGTTG.Bubo from The Clash of the Titans.Professor Yaffel from Bagpuss.But AFAICS the following are not there:Mecha-Godzilla.Any of the Gobots.Rax from The Sleeper.Bishop from Aliens.Yul Brynner's Cowboy Robot from WestWorld.Murphy from Robocop.(but correct me if I'm wrong on any of these).And I thought that maybe a slightly cooler Transformer than Wheelie could have been included.I have no idea why Henry the Vacuum Cleaner is there either... But all in all, a fantastic piece.  

Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Post by Crash »

I think the idea was that they all had to be to-scale maybe, so no Gundams or Mechagodzilla for that matter (although I find those kaiju films really gross and just kinda distasteful).Thanks for reminding me of the titles of those films; silent running and black hole.
felice

Post by felice »

Murphy's a cyborg rather than a robot, and I guess robots that are visually indistinguishable from humans would seem out of place (the replicants from Bladerunner are another obvious omission in that category).
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Each time I come back to this, I feel like I recognize someone I missed before. This time I spotted Tom Servo right in front. "Robot roll call!"But I must say that I'm shocked — shocked! — at the omission of all things Star Trek. No love for Lt. Cmdr. Data or his evil brother Lore? There are plenty of other sentient, self-aware androids included in there... even Robin Williams, for crying out loud!
Crash

Post by Crash »

That's right cos Arnie's there.I think if I had a pet, it would be ED-209 or maybe the cool, blue robot from the new(ish) Lost in Space film.Terrible ending that had to what could have been a great film throughout.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Yes, Arnie is there, does he count as a Cyborg? I mean, the T800 still functioned without it's optional fleshy covering.I know what you mean Felice, about not including those mecha that look just like humans, but Robocop was fairly recognisable tho'I have to admit, I do have a soft spot for those Kaiju films from Toho, even though they are a bit corny. But I do agree about Lost in Space being a disappointment.It is definitely a piece that you can return to time and time again, and see other 'bots you may have missed before.It's quite addictive in a way.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Post by Crash »

That's a very good point because a cyborg is ... , I would think, interdependent on both its organic and artificial bits.Calling the terminators cyborgs seems like calling a man in body-armour a cyborg, which would be wrong.I think we can all agree that this picture has given us all excellent discussion-mileage.
Mach1na

Post by Mach1na »

Terminators are androids.Were the Replicants androids? I thought they were either completely organic or more likely cyborg in nature. If I had to have a pet it would have to be a Dreadnought.

Even in Death, I still Serve
Crash

Post by Crash »

AgreedAlthough, I think the Replicants were just very human-like robots. That was presumably why they could only be made to last however many years, supposedly. That and Rutger Hauer stuck his arm in liquid nitrogen.But when they're so close to being human, down to skin, brain etc. I don't know where you draw the line. Presumably, Rachel had an artificially-created brain that was nevertheless very similar to a human one.Perhaps the novel yields some answers to that.I mean, they were even closer to being human than the synthetics in Alien(s). The Bladerunner Replicants, they didn't have that white goo for blood and it didn't seem as though you could wire parts of them up to a 12V battery to make them work as happened with Bishop.Bishop should never have died. Everyone who worked on the story for Alien3 just set the rot in for the franchise. They should all be rounded-up and shot.I'm so looking forward to the next Evangelion Rebuild although there's no word on how they're doing with it because you might get to see the face behind the Eva's mask.If you watch a bit of that show, you'll see that the giant robots are not that at all.