Britains Space

Chat about other 80s stuff, on or off SFXB
AndyThomas

Britains Space

Post by AndyThomas »

Here's a blast from the past that will predict your age range! Who remembers the ships and figures from the bottom of this page? Proper, solid, die cast toys - with X-shaped wings! Remind me a bit of Dan Dare and trading card era stuff. Clever modular design as well, hinges so you could tilt components. Really ingenious stuff for its time.
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/toysoldierhq/Britciv.html
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Shane

Re: Britains Space

Post by Shane »

Yes. I'm 42 and remember regularly seeing these in toy shops in the early to mid 80s. Only ever had a couple of plastic figures though which I remember getting for free thanks to a crisp packet offer (Could have been Space Raiders).

Seem to recall quite a few mail order offers at the time. Sent off loads of Star Wars proof of purchases for a Nein Numb in 1983, but it never arrived. :(
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Sure don't remember this but I love Dan Dare.
Did you ever see the CGI Dan Dare series?
I wish they would put the entire show on DVD rather than just a few episodes.

I have a little page about it here:
http://www.xbomber.co.uk/?dir=Other/Dan%20Dare

Speaking of toys, I just received what I think is probably the last unopened Triforce snub pistol (from Gears of War) available for sale.
Just the duty on it to import it from the US was £70-odd. With it weighing about 5kg, the UPS shipping was about $110.
All things considered, it was totally worth it.
Dream big and bold and daring.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Yes, that import tax is a pain. I'd ordered a behind the scenes Babylon 5 DVD from the States and completely forgotten about it when I got a bill for £10 odd for import. I was puzzled because I thought it was for something I'd bought from Amazon, but that had come from Germany which of course shouldn't have attracted a charge. What I found most annoying when coughing up was that £8, more than 50% of the actual charge, was a handling fee! For a DVD! Although it was in a fairly big box to protect it, I suppose. Note to self, do not bring stuff in from non-European countries unless you absolutely have to!

I think I did see that Dan Dare series, it was a bit like the Captain Scarlet CGI series? I'm hoping the Thunderbirds revival has more legs for my son's sake!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Shane

Post by Shane »

Yes, remember getting hit hard when I bought the Dengeki Gashin Dai X from Japan in 2001; think the duty was almost as much as the item and it wasn't cheap! French and Itallian sellers were a godsend back then.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

It was a bit like [New] Captain Scarlet but it had a fair bit more charm to it.
And so much for free movement of goods in the EU.
Apparently, Thunderbirds TNG will run for 3 seasons, which is good because as soon as the second half of season 1 began, it really started to find its feet.
They should to introduce some *real*, big pod vehicles though like the Firefly rather than the little meccano buggies.

So, we saw [strike]Iron Man 4[/strike] Captain America 3.
I personally wanted Captain America and his Winter Soldier chum dead by the end of the film.

What did come out of it were some really good trailers for:
Star Wars: Rogue One
NuTrek 3, whatever it's called (which doesn't seem to feature much Enterprise at all)
Independence Day 2

The X-Men Apocalypse film looked really underwhelming.
Dream big and bold and daring.