Transformers Favourite

Chat about other 80s stuff, on or off SFXB
GenoGear

Transformers Favourite

Post by GenoGear »

Yeah the Jetfire toy was a Veratech Fighter From Robotech/Macross. I still think it looks cool.
FZeroOne

Transformers Favourite

Post by FZeroOne »

*Erk* He... said... Veritech...Sorry. Allergic reaction.
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
GenoGear

Transformers Favourite

Post by GenoGear »

Ok would it be better if I said Valkyrie?.
AndyThomas

Transformers Favourite

Post by AndyThomas »

Heh. "Robotech" is considered by hard-core Macross fans to be a bit of a b*st*rd child, as it's a mix and match of several of the original Japanese Macross series as I understand it. I think there were toy tie-in issues in the States and all sorts, I'm sure Justin knows about this in more detail. Suffice to say that those who know the series in its pure form aren't best impressed by the Robotech version!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
FZeroOne

Transformers Favourite

Post by FZeroOne »

Valkyrie is my preference, but I honestly won't hold it against you if anyone uses Veritech - I just felt I had to say something for the look of the thing. Robotech was formed from three completely unrelated Japanese anime series - Macross, Mospeada and Southern Cross - which had just enough of a similar design "look" to link them together with a rewritten storyline, the need at the time being for an 85 episode series to selll for US syndication. Macross is probably the most unscathed section of Robotech, with the other two by most accounts suffering ever greater changes due to censorship and the rewritten storyline. Having recently seen the original Japanese Macross series unedited, though, I think I know where my loyalties lie... The complicated international licensing issues that have arisen has led to some interesting release situations; Macross - both versions - is currently available in the US; Mospeada and Southern Cross are currently available only in their Robotech forms, but unedited subtitled versions are planned for release in the near future...! Famously, Macross mecha designs were also used in the Battletech board game until quite recently, again due to copyright issues...And don't even get me started on the toys...
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
GenoGear

Transformers Favourite

Post by GenoGear »

FZeroOne thanx for that bit of info. The only bit of Robtech I liked was the Macross bit. I could not get into the other 2. Thats what got me to get Macross and Macross 2 box set and Macross Plus. Has anyone seen The Transformers Takara DVD. I have just seen the 1st eps on it. All I can say is HA god the dubbing is done so good. No its not. Its bad.
AndyThomas

Transformers Favourite

Post by AndyThomas »

I've been looking into Gundam of late and picked up an interesting chronology book which I haven't yet examined in great detail, but from what I do know there are branches of Gundam where they've had to do the alternate universe thang otherwise the chronology would just get messed up. I didn't know there were any similar issues with Macross though, although it wouldn't surprise me. Apparently there's some debate over whether the latest Transformers series, Armada, can fit into the Gen 1/Beast Wars/Beast Machines chronology. I suppose the more you try and introduce Tranformers to "current" time with the same characters as Gen 1 the more difficulties you have...
GenoGear

Transformers Favourite

Post by GenoGear »

Oh my god they stuck the Battle Beasts (I Forgot about them) in to Transformers.
AndyThomas

Transformers Favourite

Post by AndyThomas »

Heh, yes, I was surprised when I read that. Apparently it was a part of the advertising, they sort of "guest starred" or something to help the Autobots. There were some very brief stand-alone cartoons made as adverts apparently. Takara made both toys at one point of course, hence the connection...