I know what I want for Christmas

Chat about other 80s stuff, on or off SFXB
Shane

Post by Shane »

Is it out for the X Box at all? It sounds great.I saw a Robotech game the other day which looked pretty good as well.I've been playing Halo over Chrimbo which is fantastic.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Shane

Post by Shane »

I did own a PS2 a while back but It died on me. It's a good machine and it's got a lot of software support, which is what the slightly more powerful X Box is lacking in. I also own a gamecube which has a godzilla style game out for it I think.Techromancer on the Dreamcast was a great beat-em-up with lots of giant robos.Shane.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I've tended to go for the more sim-like mecha games - basically the Battletech sims, a.k.a. the Mechwarrior series. I missed Mech 3, but just played through Mech 4 and that was very good. The Mechlab could have been done better, but all in all it was pretty solid. I suppose the difficulty with doing something like Gundam is that you can't really do it as a sim - Mechwarrior is basically mecha as walking tanks, but there's so much sword play/fisticuffs etc in Gundam I don't know how you'd do it outside of a beat 'em up... I think there was a game out on the original Playstation that looked as if it was in the "Virtua" line of games that had a mech look to it - name won't come to me though...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Shane

Post by Shane »

I liked Mechwarrior a lot, I used to play the Battletech board game during the late 80's so it was great to actually pilot one of the mechs in a video game. The board game was like a who's who of mecha with loads of licenced mechs and robos from other series used to bulk up the roster. The Valkyries featured in it too, they seemed to get everywhere during the 80's.Shane.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Yes, apparently things got... complicated with the licensing of Battletech. I don't know the exact ins and outs, but I know that certain models had to be excluded from the Mechwarrior games for a while because of licensing issues. The Valkyrie is probably a case in point, given that Jetfire is basically a Valkyrie in toy form but had to be altered for the cartoon of Transformers to avoid accusations of infringement. Fun fun fun...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator