Nostalgia disc

Chat about other 80s stuff, on or off SFXB
AndyThomas

Nostalgia disc

Post by AndyThomas »

I've been working on this "little" project for quite a while now, and this weekend I managed to put it all together for the first time. As you'll probably know, there are quite a few video files on the 80s multimedia page of SFXB, containing the opening sequences of old cartoons. Those files have to be low quality to keep the size down, as a lot of people download them.I've also had to reduce the number of files available. The solution? Bypass bandwidth altogether and stick them on a CD. A Video CD, to be precise. This first version contains over 50 opening sequences and clips of various series you'll have seen if you were born in the 1970s.The vast majority of them are shows that aren't commercially available, and probably never will be again. I have included three shows that are out on DVD, as they're such "big" shows from my point of view - Transformers, Battle of the Planets and Terrahawks. In each of those cases I've noted that DVDs are available on the VCD itself, so in effect I'm trailing them. There are of course many other shows out on DVD now which I haven't covered because they're out on DVD - Dangermouse, etc. The disc's main aim is to remember shows that you just can't get hold of.The total running time is a little over an hour - I'd be more precise, but if I'd had to watch the Get Along Gang intro just one more time I'd have been ill! The VCD should work on compatible DVD players, and Power DVD will also play it quite happily on a PC. I'd be very interested in feedback about it before I make its existence more obvious on the site itself. I'm not going to be selling it, I'll just ask for a couple of pounds to cover the cost of a disc and postage and packing. If people enjoy it, I'd just ask them to use an Amazon link or similar. I also hope that people will copy it for their friends if they think they'd enjoy it.So at the moment, because I'm interested in feedback first and foremost, if anyone here would like a copy just drop me a line with your address and I'll get one out to you. Obviously I won't be able to do that forever (!) but I can certainly afford to send a few discs out to see what people think. Oh, and if you're wondering what shows I've managed to cover - here they come!Ulysses 31DogtanianGalaxy RangersThundercatsBravestarrDungeons and DragonsSupertedDick TracyCaptain CavemanGet Along GangTeenage Mutant Hero TurtlesTransformersAction ForceInspector GadgetCOPSDefenders of the EarthMASKStarcomSpiral ZoneThunderbirds 2086Jayce and the Wheeled WarriorsStar FleetSpace SentinelsPenelope PitstopSilverhawksVisionariesHe-ManShe-RaBattle of the PlanetsJemGobotsMuppet BabiesCenturionsRobotechGummi BearsDenverCaptain PlanetRoger RamjetCare BearsGhostbustersEwoksMysterious Cities of GoldWilly FoggDroidsKum KumPerishersCatch the PigeonTerrahawksMighty MouseSecret SquirrelFreedom ForceHeathcliffFamily NessPole PositionDr SnugglesTop CatFraggle RockI might, just might, be able to squeeze a few more intros onto the disc. It'd be great if I could get up to 60. Based on what people think of this version, I'll do a final version which probably will include 60 as I have a few more tapes due. If anyone has any requests, or tapes they could lend, let me know here...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator