Thunderbirds: The Movie

Chat about other 80s stuff, on or off SFXB
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Has there already been a thread about this?I went to see the latest Harry Potter a few weeks ago and caught the trailer for this new Thunderbirds movie in the theater. It looks a bit... well... you be the judge. Here's the online trailer:http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal ... heers,Brad
GenoGear

Post by GenoGear »

When the 1st trailer came out the film looked ok. But then the trailer with the bloody kids hit. That put me right off. Its down to a bunch of kids to save the Thunderbirds
Shane

Post by Shane »

I accidently caught a bit of the new Busted video on one of the music channels which has many clips from the movie in it.The fact that Busted are involved in any capacity with the movie can't be a good sign. I was wondering though after seeing the video do the Thunderbirds actualy do anything other than launching and cruising around London landmarks in the Movie? It all looks like an expensive advert for UK tourism. And is the bad CG intentional?Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

The general consensus seems to be that they've done a "Spy Kids" on it.  The trailer I saw in the cinema the other day seemed to have one of the kids piloting TB4 at some point, but...  If the CG looks odd it may be because they've messed with the designs of the TBs somewhat - Lady Penelope's Rolls in particular.  Because, needless to say in this day and age, the car company had to have input into it...Additional: And as coincidence would have it - some potentially offensive language here, but keep reading down and you'll see why I've posted the link...http://www.journalfen.net/community/fan ... 40985.html

Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
GenoGear

Post by GenoGear »

I can not remember the Rolls flying in the old show. I think there using Busted to get more kids to go and see it.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Quote (GenoGear @ 20 June 2004,13:02)I can not remember the Rolls flying in the old show. I think there using Busted to get more kids to go and see it.The Rolls did have hydrofoils in the original show, but yes, I don't think it ever out and out flew. Unusual, actually, for a Gerry Anderson car!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Post by Crash »

When I heard about this at christmas I didn't think you could make a bad film out of thunderbirds but I'm now thinking that this is gonna really suck. The americans haven't got a clue have they?No. I'm missing something... Why did you go and see the latest harry Potter movie Bradster?
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Quote (Crash Override @ 21 June 2004,14:19)The americans haven't got a clue have they?No. I'm missing something... Why did you go and see the latest harry Potter movie Bradster? Well, I must agree that today's Hollywood has ruined a good number of otherwise "classic" tales. I haven't gone to the theater to see any remakes since the 2001 Planet of the Apes film with Mark Wahlberg. That one just broke my spirit.Although I haven't managed to read the novels myself, I do quite like the Harry Potter movies. My girlfriend is an avid reader, though, and read all through both Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire in the week before we went to see the movie.It's funny you mentioned Spy Kids, Andy, as that was exactly what sprung to my mind when I saw this trailer. It looks like a teenie-bopper flick with bad CG. *Sigh*
Happosai

Post by Happosai »

I too am sick of all the recent Hollywood remakes...I was unfortunate enough to be subjected to the recent Time Machine remake the other week (my housemate put it on the TV), and was appaulled by it -- I really like the '60s version and had been avoiding the recent version because I thought it would be crappy, and it was! I was so annoyed by all the changes in it that I read the original story for the first time (downloaded legitimately from the Gutenberg Project web site) to see how much it differs (and thouroughly enjoyed it...am now reading War of the Worlds). Whilst the first film expanded on the original story, it was a reasonable adaptation...the latest film, however, was just a travesty (and it was directed by a descendent of HG Wells...!!!).As for other remakes, I'm pretty annoyed that Peter Jackson is doing yet another remake of King Kong...what's wrong with the original? Classic cinema!Oh, and to keep this on-topic, I think the new Thunderbirds film looks awful and have no intention of seeing it...![Happosai]