Labyrinth

Chat about other 80s stuff, on or off SFXB
Shane

Labyrinth

Post by Shane »

I bought Labyrinth on DVD this weekend, in a 2 for £20 deal at HMV the other title being the Dark Crystal (kick ass). Anyway I hadn't seen Labyrinth in ten years and wanted to see the Character that I read Denise Bryer did the voice for: The Junk Lady. What a wicked film it is though. granted some of Bowies songs are a tad cheesy but they suit the material. And the puppet characters are amasing, I love the little fox who thinks he's a knight and rides around on a Dulux style dog. I Just wondered if anyone else likes the movie, as I guess owing to the Denise Bryer connection a lot of people on the forum has probably seen it.I was expecting it to be really bad but I was really plesantly surprised by it. They certainly don't make childrens movies like that anymore. Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

Labyrinth

Post by AndyThomas »

I swear most of the people on this forum were separated at birth. Although not on DVD, I picked up the self same pair of movies on VHS in a deal a little while back. Strangely, I've actually not rewatched them yet - perhaps I'll do so if Chrimble TV is as poor as it normally is. But yes, the Dark Crystal in particular rocked with the Skeksis etc. Actually that really annoying one reminds me of Orion a bit, now that I think about it! Mmm, pretty Gelfling, mmmm!As for Labyrinth - I thought of that the other day, because Jennifer Connolly was in something else and I remembered that this must have been about her first role. I remember the big guy going "Smells baaaad", the tunnel machine which turned out to be pedal powered (!) and the puppets that could play basketball with their heads. I actually saw them in real life at, I think it was the Bradford Film and TV centre - school trip. Had quite a lot of the characters out of Labyrinth actually.These 2 would go under "films" in 80SFXB, as and when. Oh, is anyone interested in seeing the photos of the Labyrinth puppets? I can probably dig them out...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
AndyThomas

Labyrinth

Post by AndyThomas »

Well well, it's a small world. I've just finished watching Labyrinth, and it turns out Denise Bryer isn't the only Star Fleet voice actor in the show. I hadn't really noticed, but on double checking my voice actors info, Sean Barrett and Peter Marinker are also in it as Goblin voices. Plus, on the video version I have, there's a "making of" short film at the end - and lo and behold, the familiar voice of Dr Benn aka Peter Marinker did the introduction for it! Wasn't credited, mind you, but it was unmistakably him. I suppose when the Elstree studios wound down it got harder for that group of voice actors to get that sort of work...
AndyThomas

Labyrinth

Post by AndyThomas »

More on the Peter Marinker front, BTW. I decided to see what other stuff he'd done, and was interested to discover stuff that isn't on my Voice Actors page - he's dubbed stuff for Dominion Tank Police, and he also plays Donner, the Ishtar General in Venus Wars. The latter I have on tape, and it was indeed Dr Benn but in evil mode - quite obvious now that I know, but this isn't an area I've looked closely at before. I think it might be interesting to try and plot what the various people were doing when, because they do seem to have bumped into one another more often than not! I know Dave's been looking into this sort of thing though so perhaps I'll wait for his section to come on-line, although I'll add the few new bits of info I've found into my current voice actors section if anyone's interested.