1000 Years Forwards, or Back?

Chat about other 80s stuff, on or off SFXB
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

If you had the choice, would you rather go forward a thousand years to the era of Starfleet, or the same number of years back to the day of Vicky the Viking (most of you will probably remember that took over from Starfleet on Saturday mornings)? I would probably opt for the latter; I dread to think how the world might be damaged by global warming in 1000 years' time. And I wouldn't mind living in Viking times if I could marry Einar (Kirk Douglas) from the ancient Vikings movie.
NC

Post by NC »

hopefully in a 1000 years the human race won't exist so I'll plump for forwards
Crash

Post by Crash »

haha - that's an optimistic way of looking at things. I'd go with forwards too, I'd rather have a ray gun than a sword. But I'd only go if I could take a number of people with me.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

What factors do you think will lead to the destruction of the human race, NC?As I recall, the early episodes of Vicky the Viking had a lovely theme-tune; but then someone changed it to the more annoying "Hey hey Vicky, hey Vicky hey..."
Crash

Post by Crash »

"What factors do you think will lead to the destruction of the human race, NC?"Well I'm not NC - but personally I think the crazy frog. Either that or those M&S adverts for food.
Dream big and bold and daring.
felice

Post by felice »

Definitely forwards. I know more or less what 1000 years ago was like, I could study it in more detail if I wanted, and life for real Viking women was probably rather less pleasant than for Vicky (not that I've seen the show, but I'm assuming it was quite idealised). And there'd be nothing to read!The future would be a real adventure - I'd have no idea what to expect. Global warming is likely to cause massive problems this century, but the planet should have recovered by 3000AD; either human civilisation will cease to be an oxymoron, or we'll mostly wipe ourselves out and cease to be a threat. The worst that's likely to have happened is the reversion of the surviving humans to a much more primitive society, which would be no worse than going back 1000 years (aside from large sections of the planet still being radioactive, but they should be easy enough to avoid). I guess there's the risk of a fascist thought-police dystopia, but that doesn't seem very likely to me; I don't think we can survive that long without becoming a better species. If we're lucky, we'll have interstellar travel and contact with aliens and all sorts of cool technology.
NC

Post by NC »

There are a number of things that will bring down the human race, or at least as it is at the moment you can see signs already the world is trying to rid itself of us, and we are helping it ;)Depressing views but, there are too many humans, we will soon outstrip the resources the planet has to offer, not just oil but in land available to grow the food we need, the rain forest being ripped down to provide growing land for crops is stupid, the decline in values and the rise of the "human rights", what most people forget is we are animals and every other animal, insect, fish etc. has just as much right to live on the planet as we do.Anyway just to add I'm not a hippy, not a tree hugger or anything like that just can't stand the direction the human race is taking if we think we can change the world we are wrong, climate change is a natural process and has happened before, will happen again and we can do nothing to stop it.... And on a happier note... kittens