Return of Future Space Tank.

Chat about other 80s stuff, on or off SFXB
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/31043/b ... ck-juneBet you knew a rich cousin/friend/annoying kid at school who had one.
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Shane

Post by Shane »

I had one. Great toy, well ahead of it's time.Bit short sighted, I think, to not have a way of controlling it via wifi though.You can just imagine a Big Trak I Phone app being made for it. I guess they're looking to keep costs down.While we're on the subject of classic electronic toys - Do you remember the Star Bird?Now there really was a case of an annoying friend of mine owning one of these.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Star Bird? Detachable front interceptor module, black mini-fighters, death star-esque gun pod / escape capsule, up/down sound effects and twin electronic lasers of doom? Nope, never heard of it ;-)Oh, and yes I owned a Big Trak, with dumper truck add on! Great exercise in early school programming it was, bless it. I bet it would look tiny to me now!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

Although I think it appeared on every single Christmas list I ever wrote, I somehow never managed to acquire a Starbird. It always got shunted down in favour of something else. This was back when mail-order catalogues had a toy section that took up a third of the book and you wanted every single thing in that section.
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Shane

Post by Shane »

(FZeroOne @ Jan. 30 2010,19:20)QUOTEThis was back when mail-order catalogues had a toy section that took up a third of the book and you wanted every single thing in that section.  Oh, me too, me too.Ours was the famous Family Album catalogue, where it seems we bought just about everything from when I was a little'n.My mother just laughed at me when I showed her the thousands of pounds worth of toys I wanted (Greedy little tyke that I was) It came down to one big item from the catalogue and maybe a few little things to go in a stocking. The benefits of being an only child. The frightening thing is, most of the toys from years ago have made comebacks - Star Wars, Transformers, Action Force/G.I. Joe, My Little Pony and of course the good ole Big Trak.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Did anyone actually see the new GI Joe?I can't wholeheartedly recommend it as a great film but at the same time it was really good fun!
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm an old school fan of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow so I had to check the movie out.The movie doesn't take itself too seriously and as long as you check in your brain beforehand, it is indeed great fun. The Delta 6 Accelerator suits are outrageous!Much better than the Transformer movies. While the robots are fantastic it's not always easy to work out what's going on with the weird angles and cuts. Plus when the robots aren't around the human angle is handled in an incredibly insulting manner.And who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to attach a pair or metallic testicles to Devastator. The mind boggles.Yeah, Starbird. My annoying friend had the bad guy, Intruder as well. He also had a similar toy where you had to set up an elevated track around a room for a little drone car to travel around. the car had a sensor and you were equipped with a space ship style light gun to try and hit the fast paced target.Don't know if it was part of the Starbird line, but it seemed very similar.
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

(Crash Override @ Jan. 31 2010,01:11)QUOTEDid anyone actually see the new GI Joe?I can't wholeheartedly recommend it as a great film but at the same time it was really good fun!I recently saw the G.I. Joe film and much to my surprise I enjoyed it immensely. This is despite wanting to punch the script-writers for assuming the audience would have a single brain cell to share! My favourite bit were the "un-interceptable" missiles, travelling at the mighty speed of... Mach 5! FireFox could nearly do that, and that was twenty years ago!