If You Could Save 3 Things from the 80s...

Chat about other 80s stuff, on or off SFXB
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

What things made for screen (choosing from all the TV shows, movies, mini-series...) would you like to save for posterity, from the decade?
My 6 best are, in alphabetical order:
Anne of Green Gables
Cosby Show & Full House
Star Fleet & Terrahawks
The Young Ones

It would be painfully difficult to decide which 3 to eliminate.
Last edited by Rachel on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane

Post by Shane »

I think mine would be The Empire Strikes Back, Star Fleet and V (original mini series/final battle).
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

I was about to say the 2009 V, but then I saw this was about the 1980s.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Hmmm, now that's tricky...Not including Star Fleet (as that's a given?)I would say: Aliens, Terminator and Blade Runner.Hold on..No, erm...Transformers, Spaceballs and Tron.And Knight Rider, and Ulysses 31, and...Oh dear, that's more than three.OOps!
Evasive Manoeuvres!
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

Ooh... assuming we're limiting ourselves to generally Western or Western adapted stuff, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Aliens and Airwolf (because real men play the cello whilst weeping into the setting sun!).
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Are your Top 3 1970s choices similar to your 80s choices? I've realised that mine have parallels. My fave 70s shows are:
1. The Muppet Show. Puppets, as is Terrahawks. And there's even a sci-fi element, with Pigs in Space.
2. Just William. Like Anne of Green Gables, it's a period costume drama, based on classic children's literature.
3. Butterflies. It's a family sitcom, as is The Cosby Show.
Last edited by Rachel on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shane

Post by Shane »

1/ I agree with you on the Muppets.2/ Jamie and the Magic Torch - One of the very first shows I can remember.3/ CHiPs - Used to play CHiPs with my mates on our bikes in the late 70s. Gosh I'm old.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

I'd be saving Star Fleet, The Young Ones & MST3K (more 90's, but it started in the 80')
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

The Young Ones' Rik was the first human I fancied; he was an utter, utter, utter, utter, utter babe. I haven't heard of MST3K.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Isn't it Mystery Science Theatre 3000?I've never seen it.I'm watching the new Battlestar Galactica. I've decided I have a mancrush on Apollo. It was a shame that the series had such a sad ending but you could tell from the tone of the show that it would wind up that way.Also, a new Gundam series, other than Unicorn is now being broadcast in Japan. It's Gundam Age and it's ... OK.It's a lot cuter than other Gundam shows. The animation is a lot more ... almost childlike whereas Gundam 00 was a bit too stale and clinical for my liking.I know people had a lot to say against Gundam SEED's animation but I think that show hit just the right style and balance.

Dream big and bold and daring.