Thunderbirds are...

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
Crash

Re: Thunderbirds are...

Post by Crash »

I thought that! I wondered if it was just me.

That brings me to check Isohunt for the most recent episode, which is apparently called Fireflash.

I wonder what that could be about...
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

I've only watched the first episode so far.

My thoughts;
This show can never beat the original, no matter how good the writing or the action. But, that does not mean I don't like it, I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far of the show. I like it much better than I did "New Captain Scarlet"
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

Crash Override wrote:I thought that! I wondered if it was just me.
I can't seem to find a decent image on-line to compare the two; many images are of the much more detailed types from the recent Evangelion movies, which bear only a passing resemblance - the VTOL fighters from the original T.V. series are a closer match I think...
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Crash

Post by Crash »

I think I know the ones you mean; the gunship ones that fire the rockets at the first angel in the first episode.

Here's a similar badass-looking thing:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Copp ... ts_Within)
You only see the similarity from the right angles though.

VTOLs are canon to the original Thunderbirds anyway. It practically coined the idea and I think it had a major influence on VTOLs like the epic ISSCV from Space Above and Beyond.
They just happened to be called helijets.

What goes around comes around, I guess.
Jiraiya

Post by Jiraiya »

I'd love to see Weta's take on X-Bomber.

It's about time Star Fleet got a reboot what with all the new merch out now.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Sorry? What new merch? Any links pls?
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Post by Crash »

The last thing I saw was the Dynamite Dai-X which is great. I love that figure.

The sooner they do a WingBlade add-on pack for it, the better off we'll be. :D
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

So my son likes this Thunderbirds series. He also likes other original era Anderson shows, and a new kids show called Octonauts. I said to him that Octonauts was a bit like Thunderbirds, they do rescue missions, they have vehicles, they have a base... He looked at me with a big grin on his face, I looked at him. And lo, a project was formed. So over the course of a week I pulled this together, using just an iPad. Which surprised me, because I hadn't been entirely sure I could do it without actually spending any money, but I managed it aside from needing to purchase a backing track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Ub_Fdgwmk

Yes, it's me doing the voiceover, such as it is! Compare it with the usual Octonauts intro, and the modern Thunderbirds one. I've tweeted it to the accounts of both, but no response from either! Ho hum! If I'd had more toys I'd have done more of the equivalent crew roster, but I was a bit limited, so... See what you think! My son's verdict was "Quite good, quite bad!" Can't win them all!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

Crash Override wrote:I think I know the ones you mean; the gunship ones that fire the rockets at the first angel in the first episode.

VTOLs are canon to the original Thunderbirds anyway. It practically coined the idea and I think it had a major influence on VTOLs like the epic ISSCV from Space Above and Beyond.
They just happened to be called helijets.

What goes around comes around, I guess.
Yes, those are the gunships I mean.

I'd be a be a little wary of Thunderbirds "coining" the VTOL idea, though it might have spread the idea further among the public consciousness; leaving aside autogyros, aerodynes and the prototypical helicopters that emerged just before, during, and after the Second World War, the Germans were working on various concepts (you can see some designs inspired by them in "Captain America: The First Avenger", used by Hydra); the U.S. had some bizarre concept ideas in the 50s; and there were various VTOL prototypes doing the rounds of airshows during the 60s, and of course the first steps on the road to the Harrier "jump jet" would have been taken as well.
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Episode 8 wasn't too bad at all.
It didn't lean on previous episodes like the Fireflash one and it wasn't too preachy like the one with the EMP generator in London.