New PC - Advice please!

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
AndyThomas

New PC - Advice please!

Postby AndyThomas » Thu Feb 07, 2002 10:08 am

I am on the verge of ordering a shiny new machine, and I'm pretty much settled on what I want in terms of base specs, but I was just wondering if anyone else had recently bought anything new, or had any recommendations on printers, scanners etc - I'm probably going to be buying those sorts of extras a bit later in the day...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator

AndyThomas

New PC - Advice please!

Postby AndyThomas » Thu Feb 07, 2002 4:28 pm

With thanks for all your advice (!) I've gone and ordered it anyway - woo, and indeed, hoo!http://www.evesham.com/index.a....D34F2E4I have 4 years or so of games to be catching up on - I'll see you all in 12 months or so!

Matt Darcy

New PC - Advice please!

Postby Matt Darcy » Fri Feb 08, 2002 1:13 pm

Looks good, perhaps now I can woop you at some online games !

Jim Box

New PC - Advice please!

Postby Jim Box » Fri Feb 08, 2002 10:51 pm

As Andy has just bought a new PC, how about a few sobering thoughts Tech Stuff486: The average IQ needed to understand a PC. State-of-the-art: Any computer you can't afford. Obsolete: Any computer you own. Microsecond: The time it takes for your state-of-the-art computer to become obsolete. G3: Apple's new Macs that make you say 'Gee, three times faster than the computer I bought for the same price a Microsecond ago.' Syntax Error: Walking into a computer store and saying, 'Hi, I want to buy a computer and money is no object.' Hard Drive: The sales technique employed by computer salesmen, esp. after a Syntax Error. GUI: What your computer becomes after spilling your coffee on it. (pronounced 'gooey') Keyboard: The standard way to generate computer errors. Mouse: An advanced input device to make computer errors easier to generate. Floppy: The state of your wallet after purchasing a computer. Portable Computer: A device invented to force businessmen to work at home, on vacation, and on business trips. Disk Crash: A typical computer response to any critical deadline. Power User: Anyone who can format a disk from DOS. System Update: A quick method of trashing ALL of your software. Anyone think of any more?

Jim Box

New PC - Advice please!

Postby Jim Box » Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:01 pm

Bl**dy H*** Andy mate, you don't do things by halves do you! £1600.00 for a pc!Amazing isnt it 30 odd years ago great huge steam driven binary computers were used to put man on the moon. (I'm on about what they used to design the first rockets here, obviously there wasnt a steam boiler on Apollo 13! so no flames plz!)Nowadays we need something with the power of 10000 nuclear warheads just to run the latest M&#36 bloatware.Seriously though Andy, good choice m8, stay away from the high street rubbish and buy mail order as you have done.Shame with all that power you still gotta wait ages for stuff to download at 2-3k sec!When I buy my next house, one of the first questions im gonna ask is "Is there broadband running down the street?"Seriously, its a commodity now!Gas, Electric, Water, Cable Jim (Cable user!)

AndyThomas

New PC - Advice please!

Postby AndyThomas » Sat Feb 09, 2002 11:17 pm

Yeah, it's a lot, and I wouldn't be able to do it had that nice gentleman not crashed into my car back in September... The scary thing is, it's roughly the same amount I forked out for my current home machine back in 95 and this processor will be running 10 times as fast, with more than 10 times the memory on both the main system and the graphics card and with almost 50 times the hard disk capacity. Now THAT's scary - and yet I have sneaking suspicion that due to Windows XP I won't feel it's any faster than the machine I have now! Still, like this machine, I'm hoping the new one will see me through a good few years. Big expense now, less later... I'm off cheap game hunting tomorrow ;)

Return to “Everything Else”