Woo, and indeed Hoo!

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
AndyThomas

Woo, and indeed Hoo!

Post by AndyThomas »

Well, I'm typing away on my brand new XP box folks! This new monitor is HUGE! It's all so, curvy, 'n' stuff! Anyway, probably be a while before I get everything ported across from the old machine but so far so good!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Jim Box

Woo, and indeed Hoo!

Post by Jim Box »

Congrats Andy, but don't forget security.1. Get the XP update patch from microsoft (ie click on windows update) this kills the PNP security hole that be default is switched on in XP and updates the security holes in IE6, have you got an intelligent toaster that can be controlled by XP? No? disable PNP !2. XP does not come with any Antivirus so get a free one and keep it updated. www.grisoft.com3. XP firewall is disabled by default, however www.zonelabs.com does ZoneAlarm and its free.4. Periodically check for Trojans, www.moosoft.com The "Cleaner" is free for 30 days.5. Eliminate spyware with Ad-aware www.lavasoft.de again its free.6. Stop irratiting popup windows with POW from AnalogX7." target="_blank">http://www.analogx.com/contents/downloa ... k/pow.htm7. Practise Safe Hex 8." target="_blank">http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html8. Check out Steve Gibsons site www.grc.com and try the online programs shields up! and LeakTest9. Have fun mate! catch you soonJim
AndyThomas

Woo, and indeed Hoo!

Post by AndyThomas »

Ta - already dealt with the big ol' vulnerabilities as I'd read about them on the Register, but thanks for the others - I'll have Norton on pretty soon...
AndyThomas

Woo, and indeed Hoo!

Post by AndyThomas »

Hmm. And now for the bad news... As I had half expected, although I've brought my website building application across to the new machine, the various settings have gone bye-bye. What this means in practice isn't that drastic, but it does mean that it'll take me a little while to get back in a position to be able to re-generate the site. I may well use this opportunity to review how I was putting it all together.I'd be interested to hear anyone's views on freeware/shareware web site building packages. In an ideal world, I'd like to be able to use templates or objects which I can re-use which appear on a page when published. I know Dreamweaver's Templates and Libraries will do the job, but it's a little beyond my pocket at the moment...!
Matt Darcy

Woo, and indeed Hoo!

Post by Matt Darcy »

an excellent HTML editing package is ....."vi"not really it is just a text editor but you can put syntax highlighting on and it works really well.
Happosai

Woo, and indeed Hoo!

Post by Happosai »

EMACS!*dons flameproof suit*:P[Happosai]
AndyThomas

Woo, and indeed Hoo!

Post by AndyThomas »

Heh. Yes, I have actually seen vi. I found Pico just a little easier to manage ;) I've come across a couple of alternatives today which I may have a look at. Although PageBuilder does just about do what I need it to do I think there may be alternatives which do it a little more efficiently. If you have a look at the Feedback topic, I'm going to post some thoughts there about re-jigging the design of the site somewhat...
AndyThomas

Woo, and indeed Hoo!

Post by AndyThomas »

Following up my own post, tsk... Anyway, I'm just about up to speed on this thing now and I've got to the point where I can do more or less everything I could do on the old one. I'm gorging myself on Homeworld, Freespace, Half Life, Battlezone 2... I love budget games, I do! All this and a DVD drive too... However, fear not, I will drag myself back into SFXB mode before too long....!