Who are you, what do you do?

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
Rachel

Postby Rachel » Thu Feb 21, 2002 5:38 pm

OK, my turn. I'm 28, and my starsign is Aquarius. My work is specific to a certain place/organisation, so I never disclose it over the Internet; sorry! (Just in case I ever unduly offended anyone with something I said, I don't want to give them clues to enable them to track me down!) But I will say that my work involves sitting in front of a computer all day; so my favourite weekend hobby is rambling. (And I'm the only youngster in the walking club!)Other interesting facts about me: I have an MA in Children's Literature; my 3 favourite animal species are cat, mouse, and squirrel; my 3 fave TV progs (ever) are Full House, Terrahawks and Starfleet; my fave book is The Morning Tide, closely followed by Anne of Green Gables. I love poultry, chops, and fruit; my favourite milkshake flavour is raspberry. If I have a vice, it is an addiction to chocolate, especially with a minty flavour; otherwise, I could qualify for a halo, as I don't like cigarettes or alcohol.Is that sufficient?

Happosai

Postby Happosai » Thu Feb 21, 2002 10:21 pm

My go! My go! (take 2...hopefully the forum won't chomp my posting this time...!)Real name: GeoffAge: 29 2/3 years of age (big 3-0 looming ! ):Location: Housesharing with 2 mates in Stockport, South ManchesterOccupation: Web manager for a department of the British Council (http://www.BritishCouncil.org/) -- been there 5 years now.  Previously, various things with electronics or computers.Appearane: tallish, looong hair, goatee beard & 'tache, jeans & t-shirt (people always think I'm into rock/metal, but I'm not really)Relationship status: single and lookingTransportation: public or bipedalMusical tastes: most things electronic, from experimental avant-garde to hardcore jungalist rave, decent indie/alternative/rock/industrialHobbies & interests: um...the usual geeky stuff (science, technology, computers, sci-fi, fantasy), anime, manga and Japanese pop culture, animation, decent alternative cinema, making wibbly noises on my synthVices: drink and drugs and rock'n'roll (well, not all of those...), but not smoking (and, no, my screen name isn't a clue to any other vices...!)Heh...I swear there's more info there than on my CV![Happosai]

Happosai

Postby Happosai » Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:12 pm

"Drinking anime"...that's one way of taking it in I suppose...! What does EVA taste like???[Happosai]

AndyThomas

Postby AndyThomas » Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:19 pm

Watch it - he'll go Kung Fu on yo' ass!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator

Happosai

Postby Happosai » Fri Feb 22, 2002 3:42 pm

More like "drunk fu"...! :P[Happosai]

Matt Darcy

Postby Matt Darcy » Fri Feb 22, 2002 3:50 pm

Store detective. that sounds cool, I am surprised the ammount of arrest per day you make.Rachel, I bring bad news. You secret place of work is not that hard to track down as your IP address is that of your works proxy and you guessed it your works proxy has the same DNS name as your company, but I won't track it promise. And Happosai webmanage sounds cool does that mean you mange the site layout / content etc etc or is it something else ?Are you a creative manage or an overall site manager styleee ?

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Fri Feb 22, 2002 6:00 pm

What exactly is the IP address? And DNS number? I have e-mailed Matt for some more clarification, but just in case he's on holiday for the next few days, or something, is anyone else willing to enlighten me, because I've become really curious!

AndyThomas

Postby AndyThomas » Fri Feb 22, 2002 6:33 pm

This is what I used to ID the annoying so and so who was flaming the old board. Every machine on the Internet has an IP - Internet Protocol - address. When you access the Internet, odds are you'll do it through a proxy server - a machine your ISP runs so there's a disjoint between your machine and the Net. But, accessing from work, you may well get onto the Net directly through your company's proxy. The DNS (Domain Name, I think Service?) resolves the 123.23.1.23 sort of IP address into the name you type into a web browser. As Matt says, more often than not that machine will also be on the Web or at least be in the DNS, in which case you can get the name of the machine and as a result often a good idea of what the organisation is. So you're never quite as anonymous as you might think...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator

Return to “Everything Else”