Enterprise

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
AndyThomas

Enterprise

Post by AndyThomas »

This started today on Channel 4 - it being the Trek prequel series. I quite liked it - camera style a little more inventive than the other series, had more of an energy about it. Second part of the opener at 6pm tomorrow, but a repeat on Sunday I think...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Jim Box

Enterprise

Post by Jim Box »

Hmm gotta disagree there Angel, Just my opinion though but I thought Enterprise sucked.There was something just too modern about it that made me uneasy about the whole series, considering it was pre Kirk the ship was too advanced and the apparant lack of rank and the captain calling his crew on first name terms lacked cohesion with ST TOS, TNG DS9 and VOY.Music sucks as well.I can't really understand why people are so negative towards Voyager, I think the show absolutely rocks, interesting plots and stories, if anything a proper remake of the original series in a sense that it was boldly going where no ship had been before type of thing.I think where the most criticism lies is with the humour, but this was evident in Generations with Data's emotion chip etc.I think that Voyager started steadily and finished superbly, hopefully Enterprise will do the same, after all if previous series is anything to go by then they have another 6 years to get it right!!!!I suppose the only disapointing thing with Voyager is the ease that they get out of any crisis with the Borg, as opposed to TNG etc where it was life or death.just my 2pJim
Shane

Enterprise

Post by Shane »

I'm a really shallow bastard, so I'm only watching it for the cute vulcan babe. ;) From what I saw of the first two episodes it looks quite good, I've never been a big fan of Trek shows in the past, but this one looks to be a little grittier and a bit more viewer friendly. I've heard a lot of bad reviews for the first season, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Mind you every good show always seems to start off with a lacklustre first season: The Simpsons, Buffy, Babylon 5 etc. My only worry with Enterprise is that we are going to have the same old rehashed episodes from the previous shows.I did like the way they introduced the standard Star Fleet phaser "It has two settings stun and kill" priceless.I wish they would give the prequel treatment to Babylon 5, I know there's "In The Beginning" But I'd love to see one of the previous Shadow Wars played out. You just know there would be some classic JMS twists In their, even though we know what the future holds for the first ones.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Jim Box

Enterprise

Post by Jim Box »

Seems that prequels are all the rage again what with enterprise and the Star wars films.The first prequel i remember was Amityville 2 The possession which told the story of the family who lived in the spooky house before the couple did in Amityville 1Who knows prequel to Star Fleet Anyone?Jim
AndyThomas

Enterprise

Post by AndyThomas »

I can see why this series is going to split the Trek fans.  On the one hand all the familiar favourites are in there, but on the other these humans aren't the TNG restrained types we're now used to.  They're purposefully being played far closer to modern day humans, as Cochrane was in First Contact.  What I found very interesting tonight watching the second episode was that at the beginning it says "Based on Star Trek by Gene Roddenberry".  That to me suggests that while it's using the Trek universe, this series isn't necessarily going to play by the rules - which is probably why there's this temporal cold war going on, it'll provide an out to bringing it all back in line with TOS if necessary.In terms of nitpicks - since when did any Trek capital ship happily go inter-atmospheric, pre Voyager?  That was a gas bloomin' giant!  Also, we had one of the bad guys eject from his craft - into a gas giant's atmosphere.  You have got to be kidding.  Almost as silly as merrily towing an enemy ship inside your hull where it could blow up and cripple you...One other thing that both annoyed and amused me.  When Archer gets transported, he's in mid run.  If that transporter's so dodgy at this point in time, how the #### does it keep a lock on him when he's in motion and the Enterprise is in motion relative to him?  I don't buy that.  But I liked the fact that he arrived in the transporter bay still on the run, rather than stood up as TNG generally did.  I also liked the fact that he was totally confused by the experience - I mean, you can imagine what it would be like if you were suddenly bea**** EOT
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
djdust

Enterprise

Post by djdust »

I saw the whole of series one on Sky and I've gotta say I was pretty disappointed... The pilot and the first couple of eps are good but then, my god, it just gets SOOOO dull.... The only decent subsequent episodes are ones that deal with the temporal cold war and there's only two of them (the second one is the season finale)... By the end of the series I didn't really CARE about any of the characters and surely that's important in a programme??
F-Zero-One - the Star Fleet / X Bomber site.....http://www.starfleetxbomber.com
Happosai

Enterprise

Post by Happosai »

I've seen various bits of the first season of Enterprise on Sky 1 and thought it was awful (to be fair, I'm not exactly a trekk[ie/er], but can usually be entertained by most episodes from any of the previous series -- although DS9 gets a bit soapy for me, and Voyager is pretty much a one trick pony).  For the most part, it seems to have completely missed the point that it is set before the original series.And as for "Based on Star Trek by Gene Roddenberry", it's a running joke in our house about the amount of stuff Mr Roddenberry has had a hand in since he passed away! (^_^)[Happosai]| |              /   /V    Bringing  together fans of  Japanese| | a n i m e //  =(@;@)=  animation,   graphic  art  and   pop                      ~(,,)    culture in the North-West of England<http://www.NanimeW.Org.UK/> -=*=- <mailto:Info[at]NanimeW.Org.UK>