Just seen the news...

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
FZeroOne

Just seen the news...

Post by FZeroOne »

I've always had the impression that several of the posters to this board, like myself, have a greater than usual interest in space flight. If so, then many of you have probably already heard this, but for those that haven't: the space shuttle Columbia broke up over Texas this morning, on final approach to landing. There is no news regarding the crew as yet, but given the altitude and speed at which they were travelling, their survival is unfortunately extremely unlikely.My sincere condoleneces to the family of the crew.Godspeed, Columbia."So ends the challenge... "
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
AndyThomas

Just seen the news...

Post by AndyThomas »

Indeed. I'd like everyone to take a moment. Columbia was, I think, the first space shuttle to fly and she's certainly the one that I remember most from my childhood. As Justin says, there is no way for the crew to have survived, and I echo his sentiments. Let's just hope that in the current climate only some mechanical failure is to blame.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Just seen the news...

Post by Crash »

I don't really know what to say. It just doesn't make much sense. I think it's all the worse not having a reason for why it happened.
Dream big and bold and daring.