Best Comic Strips

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
Rachel

Best Comic Strips

Postby Rachel » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:56 pm

Do you miss any stories from the comics of your childhood? One of my many grievances in life is that the Beano cancelled Tom, Dick & Sally, their masterpiece: 2 bad boys ganging up on their sweet sister, and she always came off best. That one was no doubt more popular with the girls than the guys. One day this century, I read one from a market stall with old comics, and Sally wasn't as pretty as I remembered!

FZeroOne

Best Comic Strips

Postby FZeroOne » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:58 pm

Sgt. Fury, from the rather non-politically correct Warlord comic. Blonde, handsome, flew anything that had wings for the RAF and would appear in some desperate situation, fly into certain death, fly out again, and then vanish... Medivac 318 from 2000AD. They only ran a few stories, but I really liked it - kind of a mix of Babylon 5 and E.R. in space.Zenith, again from 2000AD. Probably the first really "grown-up" comic strip I ever read. I will probably never forget the German supermans last words:"Shh. Darkness is coming, and... oh." <next thing that happens is an atomic bomb going off right on top of him... >I never did quite forgive what they did to Archie the Robot, though...Rogue Trooper - 2000AD yet again. Yes, I had a regular order... "Naughty Norty!"L.E.G.I.O.N. Once there was the Legion of Superheroes. But this gradually became a cliche, so DC went back to the future with this, for the time, gritty SF take on the Legions forerunner.Action Force: whats all this Yo! Joe business, then?
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.

AndyThomas

Best Comic Strips

Postby AndyThomas » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:18 pm

Hmm. Well, I had a brief spell with the Beano, but then Transformers hit the scene. There I stayed through many classic tales until I happened on 2000AD. Nemesis the Warlock, Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper. All great stuff - although eventually the interest faded (resurrected briefly by the Megazine). Also liked The New Statesmen and Third World War from around that time, when Crisis came out. General collecting of US comics also happened throughout this time, but in terms of collected pieces I'd go with Mike's choice for Batman Year One plus of course The Dark Knight Returns. I've read that so many times I need a new copy... I would also force people to read the Sandman collection, which I gathered together piecemeal over years, so much so that my collection is a mix of old and new editions... Oh, and I've always liked the Aliens v Predator type comics as well.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator

Shane

Best Comic Strips

Postby Shane » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:57 pm

The Dark Knight Returns was an absoloute Jaw Dropper when I first read it back in 1989. And yes my copy is knackered as well. I'd go with Batman Year 1 too, another Frank Miller classic. Talk about great minds think alike. A Killing Joke is also a bit of a masterpiece along with Arkham Asylam, beautifully painted by Dave McKean.DC also did a rather obscure limited comic series called Haywire which was my first initiation into the world of mature comics. That was quite full on for someone into Amazing Spiderman at the time.The X Men was also a great passion of mine throughout the whole of the 80's and early 90's. Jim Lee was my hero for a while.And you've got to like the A.B.C Warriors! Joe Pineapples in particular has to be one of the coolest comic characters ever!Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!

Return to “Everything Else”