Current Sci-Fi Shows

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
Son Of Chronos

Current Sci-Fi Shows

Post by Son Of Chronos »

LOL oh thats what you meant by HP.Ah so thats how CPU's work out, yeah it was odd I kept seeing lots of Duos but with different numbers, its very misleading, I can picture random joe just buying a Duo thinking its the best because its just called that, not missing the t1000 or whatever on the little print.The only problem I have with that system is it has Vista which I hate, I havent used windows 7 but im thinking of either putting that on there or Xp.You used windows 7? any good? will it eat up my resources?Ha I know what you mean about faster CPU's in the end whatever you buy, its never quite fast enough.Ive made my mind up to go for that one anyway.Thanks for the help.

Crash

Current Sci-Fi Shows

Post by Crash »

They say 7 is as fast as XP if not faster. Vista is a bit of a hog and so annoying too but you can get rid of the nagging pretty easily if you just take a stroll into control panel.So I haven't tried 7 but I'll be getting it on my next notebook later in the year. Ask if the notebook comes with an upgrade coupon for Win7, lots of them do.The thing about CPUs is that the sockets that connect them to the mainboard change every year so you might as well get the fastest one you can afford 'cos when you get the urge to upgrade, you can guarantee that all the CPUs worth upgrading to will use a different socket, yet many of the top models from both Intel and AMD are a real rip-off.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Current Sci-Fi Shows

Post by Shane »

Windows 7 is absolute heaven compared to Vista!My new laptop is less powerful than my old dual core one, but runs very well indeed with Windows 7. Vista's quirks seemed a little ahead of their time for current computing power.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Current Sci-Fi Shows

Post by Crash »

Wait wait. - Your ... new laptop is less powerful than your ... old laptop?I've decided I'm gonna bag me one of these in September once my existing warranty expires, the mobile i7 is a bit less of a novelty and once Nvidia improve their mobile graphics cards. The gap between mobile and desktop GPUs is WAYYY wider than it was 2 or 3 years ago. That's just not the way it's meant to be!http://kobaltcomputers.co.uk/g860_overview.php
Son Of Chronos

Current Sci-Fi Shows

Post by Son Of Chronos »

The problem with the upgrade deal is atleast in acers case they wont upgrade past the vesrion you have, meaning you get the windows 7 equivalent of whatever Vista version your system comes with.I was planning on making the jump to 64-bit this time round, so I will have to sort myself out with a version of windows 7.Shane Im going to assume you wanted something less powerful?I remember you linking that laptop before crash, it is indeed very nice, and should be for that price!!

Shane

Current Sci-Fi Shows

Post by Shane »

(Son Of Chronos @ Jan. 07 2010,01:53)QUOTEShane Im going to assume you wanted something less powerful?Well, my fairly decent old laptop died on me in December so I've just bought a very cheap stop-gap laptop until I can afford to buy something else.
Son Of Chronos

Current Sci-Fi Shows

Post by Son Of Chronos »

Ah I see, I know exactly how you feel, same thing happend to me, expect my laptop became permanent some how, instead of the gap filler it was meant to be.However its time to step up once more.
Shane

Current Sci-Fi Shows

Post by Shane »

Yes, it might be the case here too as I'm quite happy with it's capabilities and it's mainly only used to access the internet anyway.
Crash

Current Sci-Fi Shows

Post by Crash »

Ah right - I just assumed they were both operational.
Son Of Chronos

Current Sci-Fi Shows

Post by Son Of Chronos »

Hmm after more research it seems jumping to 64bit is ill advised, reasoning being I wont be using more than 3gig of RAM and plus the fact theirs hardly any drivers for software etc for 64bit.I thought 64bit took off with xp 64, I guess that didnt work out, looks like I will have to wait for the rest of the world to catch up.Back to 32bit for me then.