New UFO?

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
Crash

New UFO?

Post by Crash »

http://forbiddenplanet.com/pages/ali-la ... !!!!!!!!!I hope it happens and I hope it's every bit as awesome as the series!!!I watched that show right-through last year and it was amazing.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Son Of Chronos

New UFO?

Post by Son Of Chronos »

I never even heard of UFO, but it sounds alright, plus a remake with Ali Larter, whats not to like

AndyThomas

New UFO?

Post by AndyThomas »

I had a couple of the toys, I remember, and have seen a few episodes - I was more into Space 1999! But it was impressively out there and really unafraid to do what it wanted to do, as I remember it. I suppose as much as Star Fleet was quite a mature show, so too was UFO. British sci-fi does tend to take itself pretty seriously in that era, in a good way, I think...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
FZeroOne

New UFO?

Post by FZeroOne »

Its dated horribly now, and the acting is often widely panned (though there some impressive performances, especially the original "Mr. Angry" commander, Straker), but its still worth a watch if you can catch one of the better episodes. The effects work, needless to say, is top-notch for the time.
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Crash

New UFO?

Post by Crash »

I didn't think is was that dated. I'm probably the youngest person on the forum and it was really easy to watch.  The visuals are really well done and it is surprisingly serious and dark which makes it seem quite modern. Plus it's quite hard sci-fi - not much there that you couldn't realistically do if you were at war with some aliens. The DVD quality is also pretty darn impressive - sharp most of the time even scaled up to 1200p.Can't believe you preferred Space 1999 to anything let alone UFO, lulz!  The only good thing about it was the hardware and sets, vehicles etc. Most of that was stolen from the second season of UFO. The whole premise just wouldn't sink in plus it had that terrible pair - husband and wife from Mission Impossible. Sylvia Anderson was right not to want those monkeys in.Straker was very cool though. I don't know why people think of him as being evil - Even the guy who acted him didn't like the character much. He was pretty tough on his people but he was generally pretty cool and good humoured about things.  I think they should cast me as Straker in the new film! I'd take the part!http://ufo-themovie.com/

FZeroOne

New UFO?

Post by FZeroOne »

I've got no problem with the storylines or feel of the series; as you rightly point out, Crash, some episodes are superb slices of SF. My "dated" comment was directed at the "look" of the series - the 70s imagining of what the 80s would be like; its probably unavoidable but it might well put some people off from watching despite the series significant strengths (I think the trouble is, based on the similar feel to Space:1999 people might expect a slightly campy space adventure and UFO is really not like that at all).
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Crash

New UFO?

Post by Crash »

I think that's probably true. I managed to get past that after not too long but other people would probably be more easily dissuaded.I have the very dark image of the new Space Interceptor as my desktop now.