Who are you? who who, who who?

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
Zordon

Post by Zordon »

Not sure if Andy set ay rule about us posting pictures on the board but I thought it was about time we added a whose who on the board.I've only met from the board Mike and Piers so it'd be nice to put a face to the names.http://www.rangerboard.com/picture.php? ... tureid=848
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Crash

Post by Crash »

I turned off Peerblock but it comes up blank for me. Do I need to be logged-in?You are absolutely right. I shall try and find a non-hideous picture of myself.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

I don't even know the names!OK, so maybe Zordon = Dave?And Crash = Piers?That's all I can figure out.Vanessa is my real name.That link you've pasted there does not work, It just goes to a blank page.But checking out SFProjects, is that you on the "About site" page there Zordon?Strangely, by a stroke of luck, my avatar picture is spot on, as I do look just like a Termoid!Only joking.Seriously, I'll put a picture of my ugly mug up on this thread if you guys do.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Post by Crash »

That's it. Back then it was wise for people my age to have a handle. It still comes in very useful.I'm not a devious person, except when people demand it, but I do value my privacy.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Ahh, I understand.I hope I haven't committed a faux par with my previous post?If so I can try to edit it or something?
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Post by Crash »

No, sorry - that really wasn't how I meant it at all.I read it back again and thought "oh no".I was thinking of Facebook and so on and people who put their whole lives on there in instantly identifiable form for all the world to see, which is just a total self-inflicted invasion of privacy really, which is why I very seldom use it.I was just thinking as well that with programming and so-on, I end up living a bit of a double-life. With lawsuits and applications for courses and jobs and so on, you can't be 100% yourself and you have to play the tactics game. You end up feeling devious after a while, even if you're not. That was what I was getting at really.I wasn't getting at you at all. I'm sorry.

Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Hey no worries I'm new to this forum so I need to get to know the etiquette.No need to apologise.I love your description of Facebook, "FaceSpace - a giant swarm of twits". It makes me chuckle every time I think of it.I'm going to use it when I speak to others in future about such sites I know what you mean about a double life. I've had to apply for so many jobs in my time. My CV would read over 6 pages if I wrote in all of my experiences and positions. So I have to "tailor" my CV to the particluar job I'm thinking of applying for It's just survival really. Gone are the days where you could walk into a job and keep it for 50 years and retire on a "golden" pension. The older generation never had it so good!
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Shane

Post by Shane »

When it comes to facebook I just think you have to be sensible. It's a tool at the end of the day. I quit for a while, but returned because I found that I was missing out on a lot of useful information. It's really great for finding out about gigs, raves and festivals (I'm a music lover). It's also great for continuing friendships with long lost pals.Again, you just have to be sensible with the amount of info you share and who you share it with. It's not so much facebook's fault, but more to do with a certain type of user.Anyhoo, If you're on the book of faces I'll gladly make yo'all friends.http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=776634441I have a few photos on there, but I'll leave it up to you to work out which ones are actually of me. Hint: I did once dress up as a Skeksis. Dark Crystal for life yo!  

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

One thing that makes me object fervently to Facebook is the creeps that invented it.I mean there's nothing innovative about it. It's just a message board for people who went to University.A bit like Nokia, how popular did they become by making average phones that - for some reason - were fashionable? And now ... they're losing market share hand-over-fist as people realise the merit of the alternatives.The sad thing was that the better alternatives were there before. You just had to look hard enough.Stupid sheeple.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Heh heh Crash, go for it son. Don't mince your words now "Sheeple", love it!I miss my old Motorola Analogue mobile phone.Being Analogue, I could get a signal where modern digital phones could not, and it'd hang onto that signal far longer as well.It also took AA batteries if the rechargable battery went flat. Alas it doesn't work now and I miss it so...Out of sympathy, someone gave me their old Sharp GX30. Can't get a signal unless I'm actually sitting on the local signal mast! But at least it has a cool disco light!Not sure this thread is going where Zordon wanted it to. I mean, his link doesn't work, and I can't see any of Shane's pics as I'm not on facebook so it won't allow me access D'oh!
Evasive Manoeuvres!