New improved episode guide on sfxb

Comments on this forum and Star Fleet sites
Shane

Post by Shane »

Much respect for the episode guide update Andy. That must have taken a long time to do but it looks fantastic.You really get a good feel for each episode now even if you've seen them before, if you get what I mean.Anyway well done.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Thank ye kindly - it was indeed a very laborious process, getting all the grabs. Would you believe, in uncompressed Bitmap form, the raw grabs I took came to nearly a gigabyte! I wouldn't have been able to do it on my old machine, it just requires too much space. I'm actually not gainfully employed at the moment, which is historically when I've really been able to knuckle down to doing something this big. Still some work to do on the text, I think, but I'm pleased with how the images worked out. The source material wasn't always great quality and my grabs always looked a little distorted, but once reduced in size the distortion went, so they were good enough for this "little" project!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
djdust

Post by djdust »

copycat!! ;)guess I'd better get my skates on and start working on episode 5 at F-Zero-One...
F-Zero-One - the Star Fleet / X Bomber site.....http://www.starfleetxbomber.com
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Ahem ;) You read the bit at the bottom of the introduction page about your being the inspiration, I hope? And hey, I don't have the funky javascript powered random image generator thang that your site does! Seriously though, I think the styles of our guides are actually very different, so between us we'll probably cater for all comers. Plus, I'm so bored at the moment, it was either do something with the site or go insane!
Shane

Post by Shane »

I think it's good that all the other sites have episode guides because It means I don't have to go to the trouble of making one for bigdaix.Daz's guide is great as you can literaly watch a whole episode online with a combination of the sequential images and the audio mp3s. And Andy's is great because you can get a feel for a whole episode in one page of images and text. Between the 2 guides I think they cover just about everything. The only thing I can think of that might be different is a text heavy approach that reviews each episodes merits and draws comparisons with other shows etc.The only guide I might tackle somewhere along the line is a definitive list of differences between the UK, US and Japanese versions of the show.Shane.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Actually, some form of commentary is something I'll probably add to SFXB's guide, similarly to how I've done an "SFXB says" bit for my 80s video intros. I realised as I was reviewing what I'd written a while back that there were random comments thrown in here and there so I was thinking of doing some editing to move them into their own section at the bottom of each episode. I'm also going to remind myself of what my sound samples contain and link those in. That reminds me - would it be OK to put in a link to the page on BigDaiX that has the videos of the missing closing dialogues for each episode, Shane? I do have some of those episodes in their UK form but I wasn't planning on transcribing the narration...BTW, Shane, what's you definition of "text heavy"? I thought my reviews were already "text heavy", that's why I added the pictures!
Shane

Post by Shane »

Feel free to link to the files or anywhere else, were all one big Star Fleet crew. Heh, Andy I think we all know which site is the most text heavy. ;) No I just meant that visually you and Daz have it covered and obviously your site is king when it comes to the written word. I just meant that the only guide that would seem worth while now to complement both guides would be a piece from a personal perspective. I think Mike had the idea of a couch potato type thing which would be good.Shane.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Yes, I think that's probably what Mike will go for as he's mentioned his style was going to be different again! Of course the only snag with trying to do a subjective guide is that to a certain extent the person reading it needs to have seen the series to fully "get" it. Mind you, that's true for all our Star Fleet stuff I suppose. Now there's an interesting question. Do you think our sites would actually make someone who hasn't seen the series want to watch it?
Shane

Post by Shane »

That is a good point. There is something to be said about just the plain facts. A couch potato type aproach might only work if the show in question has a high profile other wise you are only typing for a hardcore of about a dozen.Your question is very interesting. I don't think my site has recruited any brand new fans. All my guestbook messages are from kids of the 80's who had a very slight memory of the show. Boy do I get a lot people asking if there is a DVD coming out though.I have tried to design my homepage to cater internationaly rather than just the one show and I get a certain amount of collector interest thanks to the collectables guide which of course Gareth contributes too.But no I don't think I've created any born again Star Fleet fans. I guess it's all about presentation and exposure. Battle of the Planets has managed it in America. Not so Star Fleet I fear.Shane.