5 Favourites?

Ever popular - so much so, it deserves its own forum!
Happosai

5 Favourites?

Post by Happosai »

I actually remember little to nothing about Terrahawks for some reason, apart from the title, it having Windsor Davis in it, and the noughts-and-crosses thing at the end...It may be that I didn't see much of it...was it on ITV on Saturday afternoons? I never watched much ITV as a kid (I think my mum disapproved of it or something?!), and I was probably doing other things on a Saturday afternoon...[Happosai]
Rachel

5 Favourites?

Post by Rachel »

One of the saddest things about the lack of repeats is the fact that it drives us to Ebay, where we have to compete with other dedicated fans, causing each other disappointment in outbidding. For example, last night I won a Terrahawks volume 5 (at a whopping great price, but since the closing time was nigh and I was conveniently online, I thought I would go for it), and I just beat miij, by a few quid. He is probably, quite naturally, cursing me now. And it seems such a shame that negative thoughts about fellow Terrahawks fans could potentially arise like that. If the TV companies did what they should, we could all encounter other devotees on the web, and be in total harmony, without any rivalry!When I first discovered the Simpsons nearly 4 years ago, and became addicted, I was actually glad that Sky 1 showed the same episodes over and over! These days, it makes me MAD, when I see the same episode advertised for the umpteenth time, when you think what else could be shown, for a change! I didn't know that Starfleet was only shown in a few regions. One of my former Uni friends who did remember it, said it was shown in his area 3 times.
Rachel

5 Favourites?

Post by Rachel »

I will try to get the forum back on a happy note, as I have moaned about the stupid TV companies innumerable times already! So come on guys, there must be more of you with favourite Terrahawks characters. If a top 5 is too hard, then say your top 3, or just your number 1, or however many you like! They don't have to be in a strictly fixed order, either. And I promise I won't bite if anyone has different preferences to my own!
Shane

5 Favourites?

Post by Shane »

I only have 1 Terrahawks video (vol 1) which Gareth kindly sold me at a knockdown price. I had memories of the show before rewatching it but I must admit to being not as keen on it as Star Fleet, which absoloutely blew me away after seeing it again a few years back. I think it's the deformed human puppets that creep me out a little. I love the Zeroids though and the vehicles and hardware are top notch, with more than a little nod to the Japanese in their design, I wonder just how much Anderson and Burr took from Star Fleet, as I'm sure he mentions that their was a definite Japanese influence brought to the show by Christopher Burr.I would like to try and get some more Terrahawks vids, but the prices on ebay are crazy aren't they? I Think I may have to order one of Mr. Coverdales DVD sets.Anyway from what I have seen of vol 1 and what I can remember, here are my 3 faves:1/ 101 (a whole lot cooler than I remember.)2/ Mary Falconer (I love her plumby British accent, I wonder if that was Denise Bryer's normal speaking voice?)3/ Zelda (she make's the show, and I always think of her whenever I hear a really annoying laugh.) I remember Kate Kestral's single: SOS, and I think I recall that the Terrahawks even introduced Children's ITV programes for a week direct from BattleHawk's launch bay underneath the White House.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Shane

5 Favourites?

Post by Shane »

I had a look on ebay and theres a guy selling vols 1-5. 1 and 2 are a tenner each at the moment which I suppose is quite good. 3, 4 and 5 are another matter though. I'd like to see some more episodes, but I'm not going to be shelling out 50 quid for a tape. I bought a boxed BattleHawk just before Christmas for the same price! Shane.
Rachel

5 Favourites?

Post by Rachel »

Was Christopher Burr involved with the British adaptation of Starfleet, at all?One guy reviewing old children's programmes on an Internet website said that Starfleet "beat the wooden sh*t out of Terrahawks." I don't think he's right, as they're actually about equal, but I think I can see how his mind works: he probably likes the gripping cliffhangers (such as Lamia's kidnap), and the moving emotional drama such as the Captain Carter incident. Terrahawks, on the other hand, has more humorous moments. What the guy should have said was that Starfleet and T'hawks BOTH beat the wooden sh*t out of any other programme of that genre.I have double reason to be grateful to Starfleet: had I not been wanting something to fill the void left by its ending, I may never have bothered to try Terrahawks!!! I didn't have much faith in Gerry Anderson, as I remembered that when I was even smaller, his older shows were amongst the few kiddies' programmes that failed to keep me entertained. Thus, I was pleasantly surprised by T'hawks.
NC

5 Favourites?

Post by NC »

I don't think Christopher Burr had anything to do with Star Fleet.He was the finacial brain behind the Anderson Burr creations, shortly after Terrahawks and a pilot for Space Police he got bored with TV and Anderson Burr split up sharing the properties between them, after the split I don't think he did anything else TV wise, and as Star Fleet was Pre Terrahawks I can't see how he could have been involved.Nigel
Shane

5 Favourites?

Post by Shane »

Although Anderson and Burr had nothing at all to do with Star Fleet. Anderson definitely knew of it's existence as he hired Denise Bryer to do the voice of Zelda after hearing her vocal performance as Makara in Star Fleet. It's interesting how a lot of people actually think they are the same show, checkout Andy's name check in the recent issue of SFX which came about when the guy writing in wanted to know about a show that he remembered watching as a child, his description was an amalgamation of both Star Fleet and Terrahawks.I would have to agree with Rachel that TerraHawks is the only Gerry Anderson show that I can watch now without feeling totally bored stiff. It's certainly different to his other shows, and it did share that little spark of weirdness that Star Fleet also possesed.Shane.
AndyThomas

5 Favourites?

Post by AndyThomas »

Pretty much what Nigel and Shane said - plus, according to my conversation with Louis Elman, Anderson actually rang him up having heard about Star Fleet to see what all the fuss was about. BTW, I don't know if you're basing the Bryer comment on something you know Shane, but I do know that Denise had worked for Anderson before - so it's possible he thought of her through past association. I was just thinking that in terms of recording times etc Star Fleet might not actually have been out when Terrahawks was in production?
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator