Favourite monster/android

Ever popular - so much so, it deserves its own forum!
CyborgRani

Post by CyborgRani »

I'd have to go with MOID. He's one of the characters that I wish they'd explored more in the series, especially as it seemed that he was under Zelda's control and may not have been quite so evil if he'd been free. Also, I don't think I've seen a creepier-looking puppet anywhere!(And while it's really late, I'm so sorry to hear about Napoleon, Rachel! I lost my kitten, Suki, last year after she was hit by a car, so I know how you feel. *hugs*)
"The rules are simple: take your work, but never yourself, seriously. ÂPour in the love and whatever skill you have, and it will come out." - Chuck Jones
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Thanks, Cyborg. And it's too bad Suki's life was cut so short; we suspect Napoleon had been knocked by a car, and he began to suffer from internal injury a few days later. (My neighbour remarked that he'd noticed "Nap" was becoming slower in getting out of the way of cars.)Maybe Napoleon & Suki are now frolicking together in a feline Paradise, over the Rainbow Bridge.
CyborgRani

Post by CyborgRani »

Yep, hopefully. Knowing Suki, she'll probably be chasing (and eating O_o) moths all the way over that bridge!
"The rules are simple: take your work, but never yourself, seriously. ÂPour in the love and whatever skill you have, and it will come out." - Chuck Jones
Rachel

Re: Favourite monster/android

Post by Rachel »

My Kitty has now crossed the Rainbow Bridge, too. :cry: I'll get a new cat sooner or later; hopefully by the end of the year...

Returning to monsters & androids: has anyone ever liked Sram? Yungstar & Cystar = sweet in an ugly way; but Sram = undilutedly grotesque.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Good to see you again,

Sram was really terrifying when I watched Terrahawks when I was little. I was a bit older than when I watched Thunderbirds. That was on TV when I was about 4 and Terrahawks, we rented on video (can you remember when you did that?) along with Space Quest/Star Fleet a couple of years later.

We would get those tapes out when my grandparents were looking after me. I seem to remember them getting a bit into the show themselves.

In fact, they got me into Star Wars and Galaxy Rangers as well.

I mentioned Terrahawks to one of my colleagues at work before we both kicked Apple Distribution Inc to the kerb last month and he broke out and did an awesome impression of Yungstar.
Those guys were in their mid-late 30s to 40s so it got more of a response from them.

A lot of those creatures from Terrahawks were unnerving but Sram was the real nightmare merchant. It looked horrifying and it was very difficult to kill. It was extremely destructive and when you injured it, it just became more dangerous because of the toxic blood.
There wasn't a more memorable enemy from the show.
Dream big and bold and daring.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I'll see your Sram and raise you a Moid. Hell, Zelda herself for that matter when I watch it now! It's gruesome stuff!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Considering Thawks names for future felines of mine..."Tiger" perhaps, for a ginger tabby. "Hawkeye" or "Kate Kestrel" would do for a skilled hunter; the other characters' names probably wouldn't work for a cat.

I've got one of these little Fugly guys; the pink one on the far right. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fugly-Monsters- ... B0054XXN84
I won him (in budding Annie Oakley style) from a shooting-game at a fair. I call him Yungstar because he's a creature that looks adorable yet ugly at the same time. :oops:
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Much as I love the T'hawks theme-tune, I reckon the Cold Finger episode should have opened with Kate Kestrel singing about him, to the tune of Goldfinger. The man with the "icy" touch, perhaps?
Last edited by Rachel on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Nahhh, Sram was the real brick-passer in that show because you actually saw how devastating a creature it was, whereas Moid was just really eerie.
A close second in my mind was the Sporilla. It was bulletproof, remarkably strong and impervious to the vacuum of space.

As I remember, if it hadn't been a benign creature that was misdirected by Zelda, Ninestein and Co would have left that tracking station in a glass jar/plastic bag.

Do you have the Terrahawks score from Fanderson? That's one CD that's really worth the money. The score to the first episode is amazing.

I've never heard a score quite like it. There are lots of 80s and 90s cartoons that have sugary electronic scores but that also has the 'Thunderbirds' orchestral vibe.

In fact, there's another thing that Star Fleet and Terrahawks have in common; a synthesized score with orchestral overtones.
I think Shane might disagree with me on this but I think Terrahawks' music is a more constant performer than Star Fleet's.
I'll never forget the Dai-X Junction fanfare but the Terrahawks score is crammed full of themes like that. It has an awesome build-up for all the ships; Treehawk, Hawkwing, BattleHawk and SpaceHawk.
They're all very different themes and yet they're perfectly uniform and fit in with eachother.

The guy; Richard Harvey seems to have done a lot since Terrahawks as well:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006124/
It'd be worth having a drill into that to see if he struck the same kind of chord again with any of his other scores.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

I'll have to check out both Richard Harvey and that Terrahawks score, I love the music that accompanied Terrahawks. Also must give a mention to ZillakYT on youtube for remastering as best as is possible all of Kate Kestrel's songs. Well done and thank you to you whoever you are. My favourite is Be My Star Tonight, really a wonderfully sweet song. I wish all these Kate Kestrel songs were released in full so I could enjoy them all properly. I bet they are sitting on a tape in someone's attic somewhere.
Evasive Manoeuvres!