X-Bomber v0.37

A forum for discussion of Crash's retro-style arcade game based on Star Fleet
Shadow Jedi

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Shadow Jedi »

The first version I found was just against a starfield, except for a couple in-planet missions and that ran perfectly on my machine. The only slowdown was when the music changed tracks. I can't remember what version it was but if you have a link to that I'd greatly appreciate it, even 0.34 ran slowly before generating errors. I know I really should get a newer machine but I'm retro to the bone! lol
"Where do I go to now that I've gone too far?"
Crash

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Crash »

Oh that one - I've been trying to forget that version for years.http://www.xbomber.co.uk/files/xb1-11.zipThat should do the trick for you but this version stinks. You need a Core2Duo or wait till I get HWA workin heehee.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shadow Jedi

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Shadow Jedi »

Hey, you may hate this version but it's completely in keeping with the games that were around when Star Fleet was out and I love it, so there! lolThanks for the link. I am looking forward to playing the updated game as soon as I catch up with the 21st Century.
Crash

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Crash »

Yeah we're trying to bring Star Fleet into the 21st century. The new game's retro enough already due it leaning on 5 year-old design decisions.Work is starting again. I've been programming a black hole for the "black hole bomb". You lot might have a release in a couple of weeks I hope.
Shadow Jedi

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Shadow Jedi »

I have recently acquired a new-ish Pc, one which technically outstrips my previous dinosaur, but it still won't play the new versions.The current release slowed right down to 5fps before having an error and the one before it ran ok for one level, then slowed and slowed and slowed before crashing also. So, all told, it's a darn good job I like the old version lol
Crash

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Crash »

Specifications?It's ages since I've seen X-Bomber crash but at 5fps it's inevitable, it will cause an error.Even my nearly 6 year old Athlon_64 plays both 0.34 and 0.37 versions fine (but not missions 3 and 4, which have moving backgrounds).It sounds as though either you have other software running with it or there's something the matter with the machine.My notebook might be a gaming notebook but its CPU has been overshadowed by Intel's T9 and X series models and it runs the new version absolutely great as long as it's plugged-in allowing the CPU to run at full speed.
Shadow Jedi

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Shadow Jedi »

There are some problems with this machine yes, rather inevitable since it runs on XP, cursed program!The basic specs are P4 1.5Ghz, Nvidia 32Mb graphics, 768 Mb memory.I'm tracking down issues in the Pc as I go along so I'll keep you updated mate.If it's any consolation, this thing crashes when I play Jedi Knight as well. Oh, how I long for my old machine, W2K NEVER crashed lol.
Crash

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Crash »

2000 is super but XP is just that with snazzier graphics.Once XP's updated you should have less trouble. You might wanna scan for crapware. My old Athlon 800 runs Jedi Knight AOK so yours should run it brilliantly.
Shadow Jedi

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Shadow Jedi »

After reading numerous forum posts concerning the BSOD's I was getting oh so frequently, (none with an answer unfortunately), I have taken steps.I reformatted the drive and reinstalled everything one step at a time. Fingers crossed I've not had a serious crash for 24 hours now, a few program errors, but that's all.I'm working my way through all the things that brought on a BSOD and when I reach X-Bomber I'll let you know how it goes.
Crash

X-Bomber v0.37

Post by Crash »

Fingers crossed for you sir, I know how frustrating that is.My notebook is heading back to Rock in Warwick for a repair to its headphone port so all I have is my decrepit desktop. I think I might start using the DirectX9 betas to make it playable on my old PC so I can start developing again in the meantime.