X-Bomber v0.6, v0.52 and v0.48

A forum for discussion of Crash's retro-style arcade game based on Star Fleet
Zordon

Post by Zordon »

I know exactly what you meen about planning stuff out. Project Omega never got out the hanger door after Mike went off to Japan. It's something I'd like to finish off when I have time.theres so much stuff I wanted to include like a seperate Earth Group who work indipendantly from the EDF as a task force that fight any of the Alliance Straglers.Then i had this great idea that the Imperial Master had a group of other Cyborg merchanaries that where off keeping the Alliance's hold of the Galaxy in tact. and they leave thier reigion of space to come to earth.Then theres that one line Makara said which alsways made me think about Dai-X's Conception."Where Did they!?!?!"exactly where did the idea for Dai-X come from? My initail thought was that they found the original Dai-Majin, a sort of giant mechanised organic construct that lay dormant for years. and Prof Haggan had it transported to an underground hanger on moonbase.as he could never get it to work he used the design schematics to build Dai-X but made it into 3 parts.5 years later Dai-mugen would have woken up due to sensing it's origianl target, some really powerful evil alien mecha the alliance would have cooked up.So much of this story still lies on my PC waiting to be finished off.Dai Mugen turned out to be some alien tech that this ancient race made to defend thier cornner of the galaxy but the race died out and so not to let it fall into enermy hands they basted it off into space where it crash landed into pluto. I so need to finish this off
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Yeah - I personally hate the idea of organic mecha or whatever like in Evangelion. After a while it just makes me wanna hurl. It's like superman or the incredible hulk. I just find the idea of people being indestructible (etc) a bit sick. It's all well and good genetically engineering humans as per Gundam etc to be a bit better but it's easy to go too far. (Akira is a prime example).The only reason I find Macross OK from that point of view is that the Valkyries are generally on a level-pegging with the giant aliens they encounter.I much prefer it when the machines do the talking. There's something very comforting about technical superiority that makes Gundam a nice easy anime to watch. Sorry to rant on about that - I just happened to watch a really bad copy of Evangelion Rebuild 2.0 last night.That's why I like Dai-X to be all metal and gears. I think if it'd been designed today it would have had more computerisation as well with information projected on the cockpit canopies and lots of instruments. I think it would probably have talked to you as well.If you send me some docs over MSN I'll see if I can work out how to fit some into the game although I'm considering writing an add-on pack afterwards and this might be the thing to make it about.One thing you could maybe help me with is cutscenes. I remember when you sent me those platform levels years ago there was a clip of Dai-X flying through space that obviously wasn't straight from the show but it looked really good. It was basically a big active object with lots of frames. If you could help me out with a couple of similar things for X-Bomber's storyline that'd be tremendous.I've still got to jam-in some X-Fighters from Andy's Genesis. I imagined them to be a little like starfuries.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Son Of Chronos

Post by Son Of Chronos »

Well I forgot to mention that I did DL your game a while ago, however Im having the same problem shane was having.Ive read you spec quote and no wonder, my laptop just doesnt cut it, the GPU is wack, I can hardly run any games from the last 3 years lol.Oh well its a pity, I would like to enjoy this game, but slow motion is too much for me.Ive been meaning to get a new system, but dont have funds at the mo, maybe next year I hope.
Crash

Post by Crash »

LOL, what is it with you people and notebooks? If you basically find any desktop or notebook with a discrete GPU at work or Uni - you're sorted.A friend tested it on a GeForce 7300 which is pretty old and measly and it ran well.My desktop is 6 years old and beat up like hell. It plays a mean game of X-Bomber and Doom3 though.End of next year I'm gonna get something along these lines now that they're putting the fastest GPUs into 15.6" notebooks without making them melt (*ahem* Alienware): http://kobaltcomputers.co.uk/g860_overview.phpIt doesn't look too fancy but the power and convenience are ridiculous.
Son Of Chronos

Post by Son Of Chronos »

You see if I still had my old desktop Im pretty sure it would run the game, I could run doom3 on that no problems, but it died on me and at the time I was at uni and could only afford a decent laptop, it fitted my requirements at the time, never really bought it for monster gaming, it was meant to just be for the mean time, but Im still using it now Its lasted long, but its time to move on, that one you linked to is impressive but the price is like wow, for that money I bet I could get a desktop thats even better than that, as good as it is.Thats also my other problem along with budget, I dunno whether to get a laptop or desktop next, as it stands Ive been thinking more desktop because I dont have one and do obviously have a laptop.Ive gotten quite used to using a laptop though and find it more convenient, plus its just easier to move around if need be.
Crash

Post by Crash »

That is the exact quandry I'm having. The annoying thing is that the new NVidia GTX 280M notebook GPU is basically a recycled and underclocked 8800 GTS from years ago so the current best notebook GPU performs about 60% as well as the ancient 8800 GTS. - pathetic.Plus! Nvidia already had mobile versions of the 8800 and 9800 GTXs which beat the new model in games by quite a margin but the new GTX 280M is basically wired to win at synthetic benchmarks (3DMark 06, which is very easy to fool, it seems) to make it look better.They did the same with the weedy 8700M to make it look like a true competitor to the 7950 in my notebook. So to summarise - the new GTX 280M is considerably less powerful than the GTX 250 on the desktop and even noticeably less powerful than previous notebook GPUs. The difference in power between desktop and notebook GPUs has never been so great in my opinion - at least my "7950 Go GTX" is equivalent to the "7900 GTX" desktop unit.