X-Archive Successfully Updated

A forum for discussion of Crash's retro-style arcade game based on Star Fleet
Shane

Post by Shane »

Thanks for finding and uploading the TROM teaser, Brad. I'd thought it was lost forever.Cheers for the kind words, Vanessa. Gosh, I think that video's 8 or 9 years old now.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Do another!
Dream big and bold and daring.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Thanks for the tips guys.When I tried to play the vid using Quicktime, or Realplayer, both of them would play the audio part, but not the video part. But I'm guessing that both players are rather out of date. At least Nero played it, as that's quite new.I will certainly try out K-lite or VLC the next time I'm having problems. Being on Pay-as-you-go mobile internet with an old laptop, I tend not to do much downloading.I did say I was a luddite I used to be fairly up to date with computers, but the last machines I rebuilt with success were Grids. If you don't know what I'm on about, they were US Military portable computers, running DOS. If anyone's ever seen Aliens Special Edition, where they included all the scenes cut from the original film, there's one scene where the marines set up some automatic target-seeking machine-guns to kill the Aliens as they approached the complex. Well, the computers that supposedly "ran" these guns were Grids.So as you can see, I'm not very up to date, but I muddle through. Actually the Grids remind me of the kind of tech used on X-Bomber
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Post by Crash »

That extended smartgun scene is my favourite in the film.That yellow interface design is in Avatar too, in the control centre, I noticed.I'm still using XP and I have no immediate need to upgrade. K-Lite is a real must for Windows machines though. It contains the instructions for decoding videos that all the players plug into.You can have as many players as you like but if those codecs aren't there, they aren't much use.

Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Heh heh, I can see I'm in good company here, the Smartgun (that was it then), was one of my Fave scenes as well. Pity it was cut from the original film, the way those guns cut through the marauding masses of Aliens was pretty awesome. Having used Grids in real life, I don't think they could have done that though I've typed K-lite into Google, and come up with a plethora of sites offering any number of versions of it. Can you recommend a version and a good site to download it from?
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Post by Crash »

http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-li ... htmThere's where I get it. You might as well have the mega one. Better have too much than too little when it comes to software - especially when it's free.Sorry, the smartgun was the big machinegun that the soldiers like Velazquez carried. It had a kinda of metal arm that connected to a harness on the body, they used movie camera parts for that. The bullets were meant to home-in.The robot turrets were the sentry guns. That term seems to have been carried forward to Avatar as well, going off their official site.I liked to see the aliens get chewed up by good-old hardware for once. The rest of the time they just lucked out.There are some great mock sentry guns that fire paintballs and stuff that people have cobbled together that recognise people and aim for a killshot.Apparently South Korea has them on its border with the North as well. They can demand identification and fire lethal and non-lethal munitions.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Thanks for the info Crash, What a helpful Forum this is.I will try the link out.Oh yeah, I remember the Smartgun, you really know your stuff.I was talking about those unmanned sentry guns. They were cool. I remember their really obvious numerical display showing how many rounds were left, for maximum tension in the film.I had no idea folks had made their own, or that such weapons actually existed, but hey, I guess it's all science fact now instead of fiction.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Post by Crash »

http://www.therpf.com/f9....y-34353I'm gonna turn that into a screensaver tomorrow.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Heh heh, that is just great! Really made me chuckle, thanks for the link.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Help Chaps!I've just uploaded to the X-Archive some of the big scans I've done of the 12" LP X-Bomber Soundtrack.There are four images, the front and back of the poster that's included with the LP, and the Outer and Inner cover sleeve itself. I'm able to upload three of them but not the last one (the inner cover). I keep getting a "Fatal Exception Error". And although I've got a screen grab of this error message, the forum won't let me paste it into this post.The image size is 2.8MBAny ideas?I tried reducing the size of the image (the original is 4.7MB), but this didn't work.
Evasive Manoeuvres!