Another step closer...

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Bladez636

Another step closer...

Post by Bladez636 »

A couple days ago, the tape of the "Thalian Space Wars" I sent to have converted to DVD finally returned - took a couple months which is understandable. The quality's to be expected from a tape from the 1980's. But thank HDMediaServices for the great job they did.Now why is the question? Well I plan to put this along with "Space Quest" from the additional Japanese DVD on the sixth disc of my remastered DVD (I have only DVD cases with six slots so I figured I might as well make use of it....). I'll probably go and add my own enhancements to it. But if I don't -- contribute it to laziness.I still have yet to get that grain removal plug-in for the main episodes. I've been putting it off -- the prime thing is I can't really finish until I get Episode 3/Pilot translated.
Crash

Another step closer...

Post by Crash »

That really is about as good as you can possibly get from VHS, isn't it?They've done a really good job there.Looking forward to seeing the final outcome on this ...
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bladez636

Another step closer...

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Jan. 17 2014,23:50)QUOTEThat really is about as good as you can possibly get from VHS, isn't it?They've done a really good job there.Looking forward to seeing the final outcome on this ...That would depend on the condition of the tape I suppose.I'm unsure what I'll do with it to improve quality -- I know I will mess with audio quality to get rid of the high pitched VHS feedback. But as far as video quality I'm pondering how I feel with it.The reason I didn't just duplicate the tape with the episodes themselves was because:1) I was unsure of what was cut from it, I saw it when it was on YouTube but I cannot remember it all.2) the audio on the tape has a certain feel I couldn't duplicate - I don't know what the effect is called.
felice

Another step closer...

Post by felice »

(Bladez636 @ Jan. 18 2014,04:16)QUOTE1) I was unsure of what was cut from it, I saw it when it was on YouTube but I cannot remember it all.2) the audio on the tape has a certain feel I couldn't duplicate - I don't know what the effect is called.Now you have a digital copy, you could keep the VHS audio but replace all the video clips exactly with their counterparts from the series...
Vanessa

Another step closer...

Post by Vanessa »

Nice work Blades!Like Crash, I can't wait to see the finished project!
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Bladez636

Another step closer...

Post by Bladez636 »

(felice @ Jan. 18 2014,23:14)QUOTE
(Bladez636 @ Jan. 18 2014,04:16)QUOTE1) I was unsure of what was cut from it, I saw it when it was on YouTube but I cannot remember it all.2) the audio on the tape has a certain feel I couldn't duplicate - I don't know what the effect is called.Now you have a digital copy, you could keep the VHS audio but replace all the video clips exactly with their counterparts from the series...I was planning to do that with the Japanese footage -- cropped a bit and color ---err decorrected I suppose to be that yellowish/greenish tone that the compilation film has. The compilation film seemed to have used 35mm transfers instead of 16mm that the series transmissions did.I'm still rather considering that anyhow. "Space Quest" from the Japanese DVD is great quality, and having "Space Wars" in such bad quality would make it stick out....
Crash

Another step closer...

Post by Crash »

I'm not sure what Space Quest and Space Wars are.Are they abridged compilations of the series?
Bladez636

Another step closer...

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Jan. 23 2014,12:30)QUOTEI'm not sure what Space Quest and Space Wars are.Are they abridged compilations of the series?No just short nicknames for the compilation films --- The Thalian Space Wars and Space Quest for F-01
Crash

Another step closer...

Post by Crash »

It must have been one of those that got me into Star Fleet. They had a videotape of one of them at the video rental store.Something tells me it was Space Quest for F-01.The quality of the tape was really bad but I kept asking to rent it out when I was little.Are there many differences between the two compilations?
Bladez636

Another step closer...

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Jan. 26 2014,11:38)QUOTEIt must have been one of those that got me into Star Fleet.  They had a videotape of one of them at the video rental store.Something tells me it was Space Quest for F-01.The quality of the tape was really bad but I kept asking to rent it out when I was little.Are there many differences between the two compilations?Thalian Space Wars -- Episodes 1, 6, 7, 8, 11, 4Space Quest for F-01 -- Episodes 2, 3, 14, 16, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24 -- unabridged (version included on Japanese DVD)