Japanese Pilot

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Crash

Re: Japanese Pilot

Post by Crash »

A lot of people are commenting now that Star Wars isn't sci-fi because there's nothing about it that's actually scientific.
It's just futuristic fantasy, they say.

Star Trek tries to suspend your disbelief by maintaining an air of often-bogus scientific authority.

If you had true science fiction; you couldn't travel to another solar system within your lifetime. That's the science as we understand it.

Science Fiction would make for difficult, uncomfortable viewing and not escapism. Interstellar is an example of that. I very much enjoyed it but did not make easy viewing.

I think anyone that thinks it has to be hard sci-fi to be sci-fi is kidding themselves.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Interstellar spoiler alert!
I know what you're trying to describe, but Interstellar isn't the best film to use. It's true sci-fi, up to a certain point in the film, but when he ends up in that weird 5th dimension, it jumps to science fantasy for me.
Still a good film, my fella likes it too.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

I have a hypothesis regarding the Pilot as it's seen on the DVD. I think there are a bunch of cuts to it, and it's around the length of an average episode. My basis on this is due to the large amounts of fade ins and outs, in addition to the music by Bow-Wow being placed over the beginning and end as well as audio from Episode 1 and 4 being put in areas.

I surmise that the original Pilot had temp music rather than an original score, most likely from another Go Nagai anime, which is pretty common. But they cut out / replaced as much as they could to avoid copyright problems. A good basis I have for believing that is before the X-BOMBER title appears at the beginning with the crash sound effect, I hear what sounds like the tail end of music.

It's a theory, but to me it seems likely.
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

An intriguing possibility. For those who might be unaware of the problems that have been caused by song licensing, two famous examples are the anime "Childs Toy", which had a very distinctive opening theme in the first season that was used as incidental music during the show. Due to an issue with the musician involved, in the US release, the relevant scenes had the soundtrack replaced with... silence.

A similar thing happened to the US release of "Gundam Zeta", whose distinctive opening theme was replaced by an orchestral arrangement. Both replacements caused some anger among fans, as they were not announced until shortly before the anime were released internationally.
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
AlienRaider

Post by AlienRaider »

Yeah- The English theme does take the drama up to a new level. The Japanese soundtrack by contrast has dated poorly.
Really cool to see the pilot.