Discotek Media releasing Star Fleet in US

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Bladez636

Discotek Media releasing Star Fleet in US

Post by Bladez636 »

http://www.fandompost.com/2016/06/12/di ... r-license/

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/statu ... 5168856066

Diskotek Media is releasing the show in the US at last. Hopefully coming either later this year, or early next.

I hope this is an asset to my custom remastering project rather than a hampering, because I read that Diskotek is waiting for masters from Japan, which, judging by the Japanese "X-Bomber Remaster" set, may just end up being the same lousy looking masters.
Last edited by Bladez636 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crash

Re: Diskotek Media releasing Star Fleet in US

Post by Crash »

Hey well found out!
At least we'll have a watchable English version. The UK DVDs have no stereo sound.

I wonder if they'll be as good as the French DVDs.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

If they are, then my remastering project will probably just be a PAL remaster edition. Been working on it for 3 years at this point, so I'm not going back on it.

I hope it's good enough to get a better result from the first/last scenes of the next episode previews for it because no matter what I do, 90% of them look bad from using the UK DVD results.

It's kinda fitting Diskotek is doing it, because they also released Go Nagai's Mazinger Z with subtitles on DVD a couple years ago.
Crash

Post by Crash »

That's not a reflection on you. It's because you're working from pretty bad footage.

Nomatter how much Photoshopping you do, you can't create a sharp, vivid image from that blurry, washed-out, noisy output.

It's funny after all the waves they made about remastering and how the results weren't up-to-scratch the first time, it was delayed and done again.
Then they went about taking all that stuff away from YouTube that people had put up about the show and came and asked me to turn off my site.

And that original DVD quality is what we ended up with.

8 years later and we might actually get a really presentable version of the show in English (even if it is Region 1).
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

Hopefully they might get the 35mm prints like what were used on the 3 UK tapes.

My only concern is that they'll use the wrong pulldown method and it'll end up being slowed down by 4 frames to 23.976fps instead of converted to 29.97fps. That's a real pet-peeve to me as an audiophile, it really bothered me watching "Space Quest for F-01" on the Japanese DVD where they used that method. I know that 23.976fps is what the show was originally filmed at, but the English dub was edited by the UK standard (25fps) and slowing it back down screws the audio.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Did it mean that the audio didn't sync properly or was it too low pitched?
I'm not sure I ever watched the Space Quest thing on either DVD set.
There was definitely something funny about the Japanese Remaster DVDs - like they'd used some kind of post-production blur or smoothing that stole a lot of detail.

Why don't you contact this Diskotek company and tell them?
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

Low pitched, because it was slowed down to 23.976fps - the standard movie frame rate here. The funny thing is that the intro theme is fine - it runs at the original speed, while the rest runs 4 frames slower. There's no way to convert 25 to 23 without slowing down (or vice versa, no way to convert to 25 without speeding up) or else the video has a very noticeable jitter to it. Here, DVD's run at 29.97fps, which is the NTSC Television frame rate, which you can just interlace either 23.976 or 25 without needing to change the speed.

What I'm talking about is gibberish to many, but it's something I learned working on the remastering project.
felice

Post by felice »

I just can't believe they didn't fix the fps issue when developing the HDTV standard. At least movies can play correctly at 24fps on blu-ray, but there are still frame rate issues converting between US and UK TV.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

felice wrote:I just can't believe they didn't fix the fps issue when developing the HDTV standard. At least movies can play correctly at 24fps on blu-ray, but there are still frame rate issues converting between US and UK TV.
On DVD you have to convert. Star Fleet's masters sure aren't good enough for blu-ray, especially the UK DVD.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Video combined with sound editing, taking into account the various formats, framerates and muxing it all together afterwards seems to be a complete minefield.

It's why I've never tangled with it. Seriously though, I think this Diskotek firm would be glad to hear from you.
You never know, they might hire you to do the thing for them. Stranger things have happened.