Episode 2 translation

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Nanto

Re: Episode 2 translation

Post by Nanto »

Crash wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:16 pm I have a feeling that this is gonna be great. I enjoyed watching the first one.
I've made some improvements to the first one, and the second one is just about ready for release as well. So I thought I'd share the current drafts here, and see if anyone here spots any awkward grammar, things that could be phrased better, or just has any general suggestions or comments.

Episode 1 draft: http://www.mediafire.com/file/w0mjhl9mm5aqr0c

Episode 2 draft: http://www.mediafire.com/file/jq518ewksz3n5mc
Crash wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:16 pmI'd be really jazzed if there were subtitled versions of the preview show as well as the flashback episode that was never dubbed.
Those are both things I'd definitely like to subtitle in the future. But the rare special I'd really like to subtitle is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1S9MThYnzk
Crash wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:16 pmI take it that the video used for the Skaro release was from the 2004 Japanese DVDs?
Yes, that's correct, likewise for these episodes. That said, I would love to get a copy of transfers from rjkibbee's 16mm collection to try as an alternate video source for the subtitles.
Crash

Post by Crash »

That's an excellent idea, I haven't seen rjkibbee for a little while.
See if you can shoot him an email via the forum.

The remastered DVDs from 2013 are different to the 2004 ones. They definitely played on with them a bit but the picture quality on the new ones is not better. Infact, the "preview show" has, by far, the best picture quality of anything on the discs.
I wonder whether it came from a different kind of master reel or something. You'd expect the quality to be lower if anything (?).

Let me know you want a better rip of the Preview Show for the purpose. I could try and get you an ISO image of the disc if you wanted a lossless version.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Nanto

Post by Nanto »

Oops, my mistake. What I'm using turns out to be the 2013 R2J DVD release after all.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Ah, then on the last disc, you would presumably have the preview show anyway.

A translation of that interview with the creator Go Nagai would be very interesting.
Sadly, I've never seen a copy of it that was better quality than the VHS recording on YouTube.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

Nanto wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:11 am
Crash wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:16 pmI take it that the video used for the Skaro release was from the 2004 Japanese DVDs?
Yes, that's correct, likewise for these episodes. That said, I would love to get a copy of transfers from rjkibbee's 16mm collection to try as an alternate video source for the subtitles.
Well, there are the French DVD's; http://www.xbomber.co.uk/?dir=Star%20Fl ... France%201 only problem is they don't sync with either the English or Japanese dubs perfectly since they're all edited differently from each other.
I don't know where that guy went, because I'd love them to fill in footage gaps for my own remastering project. He went silent almost as soon as he posted about them.
Last edited by Bladez636 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crash

Post by Crash »

The creators of the French DVDs were kinda smug ...
- They make you wait with an unskippable 5-minute trailer on every disc
- The menus are not that well-presented
- There are no extras at all; either on the discs or otherwise

But the picture quality is great, so what can you do?

I'm sure there's an analogy to French stereotypes somewhere in there.
Nanto

Post by Nanto »

Crash wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:18 pm But the picture quality is great, so what can you do?

I'm sure there's an analogy to French stereotypes somewhere in there.
Mais la qualité de l'image est excellente, alors que pouvez-vous faire? [resumes chain smoking at the outdoor cafe, then gets into an argument over whether Goldorak could beat Albator's Arcadia in a space battle.]

Yeah, the DVD source I have is fine for my subtitling of selected X-Bomber episodes. I just like grungy transfers of old 16mm film prints, and I've never had the chance to use one as a subtitling source. I'll send that guy a PM in case he visits the forum again. I disappear and re-appear on forums a lot, because I have so many obsessive interests.

Did any of you get a chance to watch the drafts I posted of episode 1-2?
Crash

Post by Crash »

Sorry to be slow on replying,
I'll find the time this weekend and watch them both through without distraction.
I doubt I'll be able to contribute much - I can pick out the odd phrase in Japanese and that is literally *it*.
Nanto

Post by Nanto »

I'm not looking for a Japanese translation QC, so much as a few more sets of eyes to spot any typos or heinous grammatical blunders. And if your contribution is nothing more than "Looks great, you should go ahead and release those!" that's fine as well. I've watched the episodes several times myself and they look solid to me, but sometimes even when I've watched something repeatedly, there will be something obvious that I don't notice.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Alright, finally got to it!
These are both really well done. I like how the translation is accurate but not so direct as to make it sound awkward in English.
I also really liked how the theme songs as well as the "next episode" parts were dubbed as well.

Actually, the music from the Japanese version wasn't as grim as remembered.

Is it worth redubbing the 'brest lasers' to 'neck lasers' in episode 2?
I'm sure, with Go Nagai, that's probably what they're called in the Japanese. It sounds bizarre somehow in English.

I have no criticism.