Episode 2 translation

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Nanto

Re: Episode 2 translation

Post by Nanto »

Crash wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:38 pm Alright, finally got to it!
These are both really well done. I like how the translation is accurate but not so direct as to make it sound awkward in English.
Thanks! That's a big part of what I do in the editing process, smoothing out the dialogue so that it has the same meaning as the literal translation, but feels more like a sentence you might hear someone say out loud in English.
Crash wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:38 pmActually, the music from the Japanese version wasn't as grim as remembered.
I prefer the Japanese music myself, but I do understand why people who grew up with Star Fleet often find it strange compared to the version that they are used to. I really have to give Paul Bliss credit though, his soundtrack was really well done. I prefer the Japanese opening theme, but the Japanese ending theme is pretty bland, and Bliss' ending theme is epic beyond belief.
Crash wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:38 pmIs it worth redubbing the 'breast lasers' to 'neck lasers' in episode 2?
I'm sure, with Go Nagai, that's probably what they're called in the Japanese. It sounds bizarre somehow in English.
"Breast Lasers" does sound weird in English, and I did consider calling it something else. But since one of Go Nagai's most iconic super robots, Mazinger Z, has a "finishing move" weapon called Breast Fire, I decided to keep it literal this time.
Crash wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:38 pmI have no criticism.
But this is an internet forum, I assumed there'd be an argument (I even paid for the full hour!)

All kidding aside, thank you very much for taking the time to watch the episodes and provide feedback. I'll probably be releasing the episodes on my site fairly soon.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Most of the people on this board are of a certain age so we tend not to rage at eachother that often.

Say, have you managed to make a start on translating the Go Nagai interview? I bet there'll be something interesting in there. I always like to learn something new about my favourite show from my childhood.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Nanto

Post by Nanto »

Last weekend when I was supposed to be working on episode 9 of the Lensman TV series, I actually did steal some time to work on that preview special with the Go Nagai interview. It will probably be a while before I get it done, and perhaps a better copy become available in the mean time.

I've released episodes 1-2, if you want to add them to the fansubs directory. https://skarohuntingsociety.wordpress.c ... des-01-02/
Crash

Post by Crash »

Those look really great.
I uploaded them to the site finally so that people can stream them right off the website if they want.

It's a long time since I saw Lensman, I think it was on TV when I was a lot younger and I was abroad with family.
I downloaded what looks to be a movie of that same show from the pirate bay. I haven't had a look at it yet.
Dream big and bold and daring.