Line drawings of Imperial Cruiser

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Joe Meredith

Post by Joe Meredith »

Hi,I am sure I saw a couple of line drawings of Makara's cruiser on here, one of the side and one of the front - does anyone know which topic they are in, or indeed if they are here at all!ThanksJoe
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Hi,I think this is what you're after - they're uploaded here but not actually on the site as such. I think this is pasted together from multiple images someone sent me?
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Joe Meredith

Post by Joe Meredith »

Thats the one, many thanks Andy - I've often wondered about how to go about making a model of the ship - definitely not an easy task given all the different shapes etc but I may give it a try...Cheers again,Joe
dukedexter

Post by dukedexter »

(Joe Meredith @ Apr. 21 2008,12:55)QUOTEI've often wondered about how to go about making a model of the ship - definitely not an easy task given all the different shapes etc but I may give it a try...Are there any model makers out there who can verify the accuracy of the X-Bomber plans on this thread? I'm contemplating having a go but need some decent plans and close-ups photos.Can anyone help/ or has anyone tried building an X-Bomber?Thanks.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Welcome, dukedexter! Unfortunately, the X-Bomber front and side plans are not entirely consistent. Even when corrected for scale, rotation, and the overlap in the scan, key elements just don't line up.It's close, but it's not perfect. It's probably close enough, though, if you wish to take a little creative license in making something that fits between the two.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

That said, years ago I tried making a 3D model of the X-Bomber based on the very same diagrams. I am self-taught and definitely not an expert in 3D modeling. I never really took the time to finish all of the little details, but I think I still managed a reasonable likeness.So, if you're serious about your craft, a good model should be achievable.
dukedexter

Post by dukedexter »

Thanks, Bradster. I had a feeling they weren't perfect and would need some minor adjustment. Was it easy to extrapolate a plan view (from above) from just the front and side elevations?I suppose I'll need some good photos too.The 3D model looks pretty good, hope this spurs you on to finish the details!
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Yeah, the above view was pretty easy to figure out. Most of the edges and corners are well enough exposed by the front and side illustrations.Here are the two adjusted images I used if you wish to use them:Oh, and yes, this talk is rekindling that urge to work on my old 3D model! I think I'll take some time over the next week to revise some bits on it.
dukedexter

Post by dukedexter »

(Bradster @ Dec. 23 2008,22:02)QUOTEYeah, the above view was pretty easy to figure out. Most of the edges and corners are well enough exposed by the front and side illustrations.Oh, and yes, this talk is rekindling that urge to work on my old 3D model! I think I'll take some time over the next week to revise some bits on it.I've got several other things that should really be finished before starting a model of X-Bomber... first I need to collect some decent stills to work from, particularly the rear end. What colour scheme did you use? My DVDs are pretty fuzzy and the colour balance is awful.I have a bad habit of picking less well-known designs and spending forever looking for reference material - I spent ages looking for pics of the Scorpio from Blakes 7. Should try and make life easier on myself!
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

(dukedexter @ Dec. 27 2008,05:53)QUOTEfirst I need to collect some decent stills to work from, particularly the rear end.I took over 200 screenshots from VHS copies that I've cataloged specifically for model/texture reference. I'll upload a few of the better ones and repost shortly.
(dukedexter @ Dec. 27 2008,05:53)QUOTEWhat colour scheme did you use? My DVDs are pretty fuzzy and the colour balance is awful.The few photos I've seen of the actual X-Bomber model appear to give it a yellow-brown tinge. Both of these come from the SF Multimedia gallery here on sfxb.co.uk....but I've (tentatively, at least) gone with a completely neutral greyscale set of textures on my model. I actually need to recreate my textures because I originally made them for a previous model before I had the above line drawings as a "proper" reference; they no longer fit the pieces correctly. I'll probably use a browner scheme when I do recreate them.
(dukedexter @ Dec. 27 2008,05:53)QUOTEI have a bad habit of picking less well-known designs and spending forever looking for reference materialHear, hear! I've also spent way too much time doing the same.