Is it nearly over?

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Zordon

Is it nearly over?

Post by Zordon »

If like me you've followed the Forum and sites over the years with secret intent of the release of official DVDs and soundtracks then you've probably come to the same stepping stone I have.Where do we go from here? I've got my DVD's, getting the sound track, got a few puzzels, not bothered with naything else. Do I hummbley trot off much like the series original airing - Into Obscurity and do other things? or hang back and wait another 10 years till me get Perfect Grade Dai-x figures?I've been like this for a few years now ever since I shut my own site. i just don't the intrest I did 10 years ago. Yep im 29 now - I've come a long way form that stupid kid trying to prove himself as an artist and website designer. Got married, got a house, car and 2 cats.I think It's time for me too say bye guys and go and work on the production of my UKR fan movies.It's been great talking with you over the years, you've all helpped me in someway, sitewise or advice on other things.Thanks guysDave
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Shane

Is it nearly over?

Post by Shane »

Well, yeah. The forum is pretty much dead now, I still check in now and again, because it doesn't take much to click a link, but apart from Crash's lovely game and Brad's terrific 3D models and this ere soundtrack, there's not much else to say or do about Star Fleet really.The DVD was such a long time coming, but at least it did eventually get here, it was like the holy grail for us fanboys for so long. There was a really cool period on Andy's old board, when I first got onto the Internet in 1999, where there were lot's of fun discussions about the show. Also the incredible realisation that you could get the whole series on video from some kind gentleman if you wanted it was quite astounding. Collecting archive TV was no picnic before the Internet age. I think we take that for granted now.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Is it nearly over?

Post by Crash »

Haha damn, how amazing would a Perfect Grade Bandai 1/100 Dai-X be? Along the same lines as Gundam. Shane sums our situation up pretty well. As far as I'm concerned - Star Fleet and X-Bomber is never over. I've just put in some major additions to my site. The new database-driven video page is up. It's taken me some time to get that finished (oops). There are some great new gameplay videos that I've made from the latest version of the game. http://xbomber.co.uk/?page=5As well as that I've set up a new database driven directory of small, quality sites including many Star-Fleet sites to get some traffic driven around http://xbomber.co.uk/gnet.phpBoth are totally made from scratch in notepad only without anyone else's code.The game itself is going really well but I'm also a fair way from being finished. The engine is all the way there really. There are some teething issues with the hardware acceleration with regard to menus and so-on, not so much with the actual 'game part'. I'm gonna try to get level 10 finished this summer. Since New Year I've managed to get 3-and-a-half missions done. So that's about 1 level per 2 months which is pretty good-going.I think - In order to make sure that Star Fleet is never over - we need to focus on the most active bits of our "operation" - that's this forum and the game, anything that Zordon's doing and Brad's modelling. Just give it your best shot. We need a few more people as well. It's difficult for our ... 4 or 5 main people to be as productive as a huge Gundam fanbase.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Darthdc

Is it nearly over?

Post by Darthdc »

A perfect Dai-X figure would be cool - as long as they can figure how to do LegTrax. The rest should be quite easy.Back to the main topic, it has become a bit dull since the DVD. What would make my day would be a chance to meet the surviving cast (I think they're all still about, according to imdb.com) and get their autos. Another rerun on tv might help publicity - if only they can get todays kids interested in a truly great show. Todays shows don't have the old magic.
May the Force be with you!
Shane

Is it nearly over?

Post by Shane »

Not wanting to sound like an old basket, but I agree with you about the magic of old shows. The sad fact is we will never see the like of Star Fleet again.The younger generation today (not all, but most) seem to have much shorter attention spans, and for the most part modern TV and film reflects this. New Doctor Who is a good case. Much higher production values and arguably more exciting stories, but everything is happening so fast, no breathing space, no time to reflect with all the quick-fire cuts going on and ultimately the show has less depth.Interestingly though, I went to a music festival recently and started chatting to a couple who were both 20. I was astounded to hear them talking about their love for 70s and 80s children's TV. They too moaned about the current state of children's TV (The BBC and ITV produce very little original programming these days) and said the 90s and 00s just don't compare to the output of yesteryear.

Crash

Is it nearly over?

Post by Crash »

The new Dr Who is not television. I can't watch it. We spend money churning out that crud and the Japanese come out with Evangelion Rebuild and Macross Frontier and while the Americans made Battlestar Galactica.I think the early 90s had quite a lot to their name - ie. Bucky O'Hare, Beast Wars Transformers etc.  But after that all we had was ... the new Captain Scarlet, which was OK but not awesome.I don't think you'd get Star Fleet on TV now. You'd have a load of big-brother afficionados scratching their heads thinking 'what the hell is this?'.I think there have been some good kids shows but they've died unceremoniously like the CGI Dan Dare MainFrame produced after Beast Wars and Zentrix which was from China and they screened once and died. No DVD release in the UK either. I had to hack my desktop to play American discs.

Shane

Is it nearly over?

Post by Shane »

Yeah, the 90s had a few good shows here and there, you can't knock Ren and Stimpy, but I think that was made for students rather than kids. Liked SMtv Live when it first started out too, cartoons like Cow and Chicken were pretty funny, again very popular with students or people with hangovers from the Friday night before. ;)I too liked Mainframe's output. Reboot was an incredible show for the time.There hasn't been any really good homegrown output for years though.
FZeroOne

Is it nearly over?

Post by FZeroOne »

I'm still holding out for a Soul of Chogokin Big Dai-X, but I suspect a Robot Spirits version or similar is more likely - heck, Bandai are even releasing a Turn-A Gundam in that line, and Bandai doesn't know that Turn-A exists!
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Crash

Is it nearly over?

Post by Crash »

I want my Valkyrie VF25. Those clowns at Hobbylink Japan don't dispatch orders over the weekend, lamers.I hope the new 1/72 Macross F Valkyries are about the same quality as a Master Grade Gundam - especially given the cost.
Happosai

Is it nearly over?

Post by Happosai »

I still think we should try and have a Star Fleet get-together, so that some of us long-time forum frequenters can put faces to names.[Happosai]