URGENT:: CALLING ALL STAR FLEET FANS

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Dr. Ben

Post by Dr. Ben »

Hello all,I recently sent out an email to the CEO of Fabulous Films asking whether or not Star Fleet would be released on DVD here in the United States. To my surprise, I got this reply. QUOTEProbably will never be released, the series was not broadcast in the USA. The demand will not cover the production costs involved in making it available on DVD at this time.Thank youMY GOAL IS TO PROVE HIM WRONG. LET'S SHOW HIM THAT THE SERIES DOES HAVE A FOLLOWING ACROSS THE POND.If you are a fan of Star Fleet from the USA please sign this petition.Release Star Fleet on DVD in the USAANY signature is appreciated. Get your friends, neighbors and cats to sign.It's a long shot I know, but I'm going to give it a go!
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

I think efforts would be better served at just getting the existing DVD released in a region-free format, rather than in a whole separate US kit. Region encoding (and maybe PAL vs NTSC) is really the only thing that makes the UK version any different than a would-be US version. With region-free discs, the exact same package could be sold in the UK, Europe, North America, and anywhere else. This would be significantly cheaper than having to manufacture separate discs and packaging materials for the tiny markets of Star Fleet fans around the world.My 2¢.At this point, though, it's probably too late for any change like that. I wouldn't be surprised if they've long-since finished printing whatever offset run they'd planned for and they're just going to sell that stock over the next few years.

Shane

Post by Shane »

Yes, probably easier to just buy a region 2 copy from the U of K and then watch it on a region free player, either hardware or software.It is slightly ironic though as the North American released video tapes of Star Fleet from the late 80s were the only way to be able to watch the entire series (albeit edited) of Star Fleet for years.The UK never got the entire series on vhs, so if it weren't for the US release there would have been a couple of decades where the two 90 min movies, The Thalian Space War and Quest for F01 were are only taste of Star Fleet in the UK.So its interesting that there is little interest in the US for Star Fleet. I guess it helps the UK cause that it was shown a few times on TV over here, that definitely attracts the nostalgia crowd.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Hah that's Fabulous Films for you. The problem is that they are a UK based company so they wouldn't have much to do with a US release.You might write to Enoki Films instead.They should have released Star Fleet as Region Free and made a bigger packet because of it. But hey, if The Man isn't interested in making money it ain't our problem.I still say the solution is DVD Ghost from Isohunt and an S-Video cable between your PC and TV.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Post by Shane »

(Crash Override @ Jan. 16 2010,14:31)QUOTEThey should have released Star Fleet as Region Free and made a bigger packet because of it. But hey, if The Man isn't interested in making money it ain't our problem.I think the problem might be that the Australian Region 4 version of Star Fleet is distributed by another company. So FF were probably forced to keep their release region specific.Still, no love for the US market, seems a bit shortsighted.
Son Of Chronos

Post by Son Of Chronos »

Just how popular was the show in the states anyway?How many fans have you come across, online and offline?Im guessing if it was a VHS release, only a few kids might have watched it.I thought it would have been show on TV over there, of all the places in the world since you guys love TV espeically back then in the 80s.
Shane

Post by Shane »

I didn't realise it was so popular in Australia that it could enjoy it's own release there. Though to be honest Australia seems to be fans of a number of UK television exports, I'm guessing Star Fleet was one of them.Some of their DVDs of classic UK shows have more features and better image quality than their counterparts in the UK. So much so that some archive TV fans import the Australian versions of classic UK TV shows. The UK is generally hard done by when it comes to DVD releases, often missing features present in other Region's releases.As for Star Fleet in the US - I Don't know how popular it is or was. I guess it's too big a market to sell a cult show that wasn't shown on TV and only appeared as a rental video release in the late 80s.I think in this day and age, as Crash has mentioned, Region coding isn't too much of an obstacle for most people.

Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

http://www.timesforgottendvd.com/This site has a fan converted version of the "Star Fleet" DVD to NTSC if you do a search.... It also has a lot of other good shows on there, such as the "Thunderbirds" parody from 1998 that aired on MTV, "Super Adventure Team" and a "Four Feather Falls" DVD converted to NTSC. Makes me wish I found it before I bought the Australian DVD.... But then again, I have a multi-region player so what little it matters

Crash

Post by Crash »

Nice find - that's pretty sweet.It still irritates me that one of my favourite shows; Zentrix a chinese CGI anime is only available in English as a region1. The Region2 version is French only.Now, don't get me wrong, I have a degree in French but it strikes me that a law student and comic collector wouldn't want their X-Men collection redrafted into the form of legal documents.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ May 01 2011,01:02)QUOTENice find - that's pretty sweet.It still irritates me that one of my favourite shows; Zentrix a chinese CGI anime is only available in English as a region1. The Region2 version is French only.Now, don't get me wrong, I have a degree in French but it strikes me that a law student and comic collector wouldn't want their X-Men collection redrafted into the form of legal documents.It is annoying the whole regional thing. I don't see the point in it.The site has a lot of shows on DVD that had made up a lot of my childhood, like "Ed, Edd n Eddy", "Angry Beavers" .etc