Star Fleet intro - Remastered

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(Mach1na @ Oct. 20 2011,17:21)QUOTEWell peeps I'll keep you all informed. Going to order the DVDs this weekend. The remux shouldn't take too long but I want to get it right.I wish you luck. As I said though. Seeing the masters online there seems to be a few common things I see about the French masters - the scenes before commercial transitions are shorter than we see in the Japanese or English versions at least in some of the earlier episodes. In episode 6, the view of the Moonbase tower blinking after we return is cut and we just skip to the X-Bomber lauching.
Mach1na

Post by Mach1na »

Ohh sounds like fun then :-)
Even in Death, I still Serve
felice

Post by felice »

(Crash Override @ Oct. 20 2011,12:31)QUOTEThe centre (French) footage is very sharp, as though it has genuinely been remastered.It's not perfect, though - the shadows are way too dark, the background is completely lost... I'm no expert, but it looks like it's had some kind of sharpening filter applied rather than just being a better representation of the source material.
Shane

Post by Shane »

I agree with Felice. After looking at the image again it's clear that the French footage has been overprocessed. The contrast has been raised far too high in order to bring out the colours, but in doing so it has actually darkened the footage so that a lot of background detail is lost.It's a trade off that seems to be made in a lot of low budget remasters where the people in question have gone the 'noir-ish' route and amped up the contrast. It can make old grotty footage look more current, but in a sense the person in charge of the remaster is imposing a whole new look on the show, where the colours are bold and vivid but all the darker shades appear as a uniform black.If Bomber X is missing scenes as well, then it may not be the best choice for a definitive fan version.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

This project might take some stitching. Unfortunately, what I know about video encoding, you could just about write on the head of a pin.The background is nonexistent but the sharpening has worked.Losing contrast in some area is the risk with auto-levelling.If you do it on photographs in Photoshop you have to examine the before-and-after pretty carefully.If it's a good shot with good conditions then it shouldn't make much difference anyway.If they were to have done it properly I think they would have analysed the episode or disc footage as a whole and calculated thresholds from the brightest and darkest colours in that entire sequence of frames but I would guess that they haven't bothered with that.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

Well, it may not be all lost. We should find some rips of the Japanese DVD online and take the missing scenes and do some contrast adding to them in a video program until they look similar enough. I don't think that's impossible. Shane did those Genesis, Revenge of Makara covers and the adjusted screengrabs don't look all that different.I did find some Japanese episodes online, the only problem is all episodes after episode 5 up for download look in worse condition than the way they actually are on the DVD judging by the screencabs Shane and Crash took. They don't look all too different to the TV version. There a torrent anywhere?To me the masters look fine. Marvelous. I really can't see what you guys are talking about. It may just be that scene or something. Here's the whole first episode in the quality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BLwRlvaJwg
Crash

Post by Crash »

That's very watchable. My French hasn't gone too bad after all.I could do a japanese rip for you, if you have a suggested method to follow.I suppose there's no real way to losslessly encode video.It might be better for me to copy the discs and send them but I remember I had to unlock the contents last time when I did my screenshots and do everything off a copy on the hard disk.
Dream big and bold and daring.
felice

Post by felice »

(Crash Override @ Oct. 22 2011,18:43)QUOTEI suppose there's no real way to losslessly encode video.It's perfectly possible, but the files are kind of big...
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Oct. 22 2011,18:43)QUOTEThat's very watchable. My French hasn't gone too bad after all.I could do a japanese rip for you, if you have a suggested method to follow.I suppose there's no real way to losslessly encode video.It might be better for me to copy the discs and send them but I remember I had to unlock the contents last time when I did my screenshots and do everything off a copy on the hard disk.I'd appreciate if you did rip them. But I wouldn't know an exact method if you mean for ripping.
Mach1na

Post by Mach1na »

(Crash Override @ Oct. 21 2011,12:12)QUOTEThis project might take some stitching. Unfortunately, what I know about video encoding, you could just about write on the head of a pin.The background is nonexistent but the sharpening has worked.Losing contrast in some area is the risk with auto-levelling.If you do it on photographs in Photoshop you have to examine the before-and-after pretty carefully.If it's a good shot with good conditions then it shouldn't make much difference anyway.If they were to have done it properly I think they would have analysed the episode or disc footage as a whole and calculated thresholds from the brightest and darkest colours in that entire sequence of frames but I would guess that they haven't bothered with that.I've done a bit of video editing in the past and I have a few ideas of how I'm going to tackle it. Crash, if you have the JP DVD's can you let me look at them please? ;-)
Even in Death, I still Serve