The Flashback episodes

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Bladez636

The Flashback episodes

Post by Bladez636 »

Ya know what annoys me about them.... It's not the fact that they're flashback's, it's mainly that the dialogue was re-recorded for them. The voice actors don't sound enthusiastic about re-recording the lines more like "Oh God, I have to say this stuff again!". Not to mention some of their cheesy dialogue improvs such as Shiro's line change in episode 4 from "Let's use the super canon" to "Let's show them what's up our sleeve" which just makes me facepalm.... Also, am I the only one who thinks PPA sounds like he has a cold in not just episode 9 but from episode 7-10There's of course even worse continuity with them, mainly episode 13 though. Need I mention how episode 8 and 10's events are combined? Considering i'm an SFX editor and this bugs me, the sounds are different, mainly with the English version.I'm probably over analizing this, but that's just me.The one plus side on the flasback episodes, the crew did make up for them by including deleted/extended scenes from the episodes. I kinda think the English producers were trying to make up for it with re-recorded dialogue myself.

Shane

The Flashback episodes

Post by Shane »

I think 29 years ago when I first watched the show on original transmission as a 9 year old I appreciated the flashbacks more as my family didn't have a video recorder at the time so it was the only chance to re-watch bits of the show in any way.It was only ever shown once in my ITV region which was HTV (Central and maybe a few other regions showed re-runs in 1988) so the original transmission in 1982 was my only memory of the show for many years.So I'd say the flashbacks served a purpose for many people in the days when the ability to record and re-watch a show was a bit of a luxury.Fast forward 20 years and we are now able to view the entire show in a digital format anytime we choose. So now the flashbacks start to stick out more as they are no longer as necessary in the current technological climate. I've noticed that most shows nowadays don't employ flashback episodes anymore, despite the fact that they save money. I think the Simpsons still do on occasion, but they often go meta with it and poke fun at the behind the scenes economical benefits of showing old clips again. South Park also did a great one where it masqueraded as a clip show, but all the past events were changed in some way.I think you're right that the production crew were probably bored with having to re-dub a clip show. Because of the Japanese origin of the footage and the fact that the flashbacks were hardlocked, I'm sure it was a pain to have to record segments all over again when if it had been a UK show the editor would have had the footage and dialogue ready to cut the episode without the need for a re-dub.I'm guessing time constraints led to ad libbing and changing of lines. Someone would have had to have spent time linking the original script to the flashback footage so I presume there was very little time set aside for the voice actors to do their stuff. Recording studios were very very expensive back then.I always thought that PPA was voiced by a different actor for several episodes before reverting back to the original voice actor. The substitute voice was a bit more camp as I recall.

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

The Flashback episodes

Post by Crash »

I skipped the flashback episode on the DVDs actually, so this all comes as news to me.I just thought "well, there's no point watching this".The alternate lines sound funny. I might go back and take a look.I seem to remember Lee makes a really hideous looking soup. The catering on that ship can't have been anything to write home about.

Dream big and bold and daring.
Bladez636

The Flashback episodes

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Oct. 03 2011,01:44)QUOTEI skipped the flashback episode on the DVDs actually, so this all comes as news to me.I just thought "well, there's no point watching this".The alternate lines sound funny. I might go back and take a look.I seem to remember Lee makes a really hideous looking soup. The catering on that ship can't have been anything to write home about.Personally I like episode 9, mainly because we finally meet the Imperial Master and get a good idea of his size. Also love the music we hear, mainly the Imperial theme at the beginning of the episode.Episode 13 had little point compared to episode 9 plus it annoyed me more than ever. Halfway through that episode too, most of the voice actors voices become sped up by 4 frames, god knows why. Shiro, Hercules, Dr. Benn and Orion's voices all become higher noticably.
Crash

The Flashback episodes

Post by Crash »

Best thing about the trial episode is seeing the Imperial Battleship go inside the fortress.Presumably, they made a smaller-scale battlecruiser to do that otherwise the planetoid model would have had to have been *gigantic*.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Darthdc

The Flashback episodes

Post by Darthdc »

Episode 13 has no plot whatsoever. Apart from the "New Year" error and combining the lava planet and the tree planet into one, it does nothing for the plot. As for making Shiro get over Captain Carter, it fails. Episode 14 - he's still reeling at the very beginning!
May the Force be with you!