Star Fleet sounds snatched from Space: 1999?

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Oh dear Crash! That's bad news It is fortuitous that you kept your old machine.My trusty ol' Dell XPS M1210 has been playing up a bit recently as well, maybe it's catching?Having had to get the screen inverter replaced last year, now the battery has finally given up the ghost last week, so a new one is on order. Also the WiFi hardware seems to have developed a random annoying habit of disconnecting from the router/hub thingy, and then the only way you can re-connect is to shut down and re-start Luckily my tech-savvy other half is on the case, so hopefully it's not a terminal problem, as I don't want to have to get another Laptop.Do you work on repairing Apple equipment then?Are you taking a break from your Law studies?I hope that your XPS can be fixed...
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Well, absolutely - I've been very lucky.The m1730 borked in its guarantee period. I had another laptop sitting in its box, ready. The machine still ran OKish, so I could get my stuff back from the RAID array. The m1730 is probably gonna get replaced with an Alienware.If it'd only had one GPU and it'd failed - I don't know in hindsight how I woulda got my stuff back from it because you couldn't have just taken the hard disk out with it being spanned in RAID over 2 disks.I still feel really sad though sending the m1730 away because it was a beast and it was just awesome in every way.They say it probably can't be repaired. The m1730 was cancelled before it should have been because it was eating into Alienware's sales and Dell had just bought Alienware shortly after the m1730 came out.That's why the whole XPS notebook range disappeared.Also, the 8800m GPUs for the m1730 are based on a fairly old design and anyone whose m1730 failed was just given an Alienware to replace it ... so they're not made anymoreNvidia also upped the model numbers but kept the product the same until quite recently. I work at Apple's UK support office in Gateshead. It's across the road from the Metro Centre. If it has anything to do with AppleCare - it goes through us.I don't repair anything. I figure out what's wrong with things and I send loads of stuff off for repair but I have absolutely no idea where any of it goes to, lol.Am a bit of a noob, so I work on iPhones etc. rather than Macs.My iMac is pretty cool but the OS X Lion is ... not great. Windows 7 is far better.The job is quite enjoyable but it doesn't really have any perks so ... I'm on the lookout for something a bit ... more.The legal industry is in a real state - especially here in the North. I'm toying with the idea of doing the LPC this year. I have my place on the course. I dunno.Could well be the router at fault with you. The BT homehubs etc. are all the bottom-of-the-barrel Thompson routers. They die all the time. Try holding the reset button down until you hear a click.If the m1730 doesn't get fixed, I saw a really good refurb Alienware on the company's site. I'll just apply my refund against that.ATM, I'm just getting this lappy ready to roll with X-Bomber.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Sorry to hear about your computer woes Crash.My trusty piece-of-crap laptop is soldiering on to it's 3rd year of life. I'll be very chuffed (and surprised) if it makes it.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

http://www.xbomber.co.uk/images/Printed ... r4.jpgPaul Bliss' OST Soundtrack description seems to confirm what i've thoughtBut I'm thinking there has to be another source as to the sounds - unless all were made for "Space: 1999" but some ultimately unused. The laser sounds are familiar, but never have I heard it it "Space: 1999"
Crash

Post by Crash »

Pleased that came in useful.I'm gonna rescan all my DVD and OST materials because I recently bought a V750 Pro film scanner from Epson.The quality is really something.My Epson 2450 Perfection was a good scanner but it was also 10 years old. If I direct you to: http://www.xbomber.co.uk/images/Printed ... 4-p086.jpg... and you compare that to the original, 2450 version, which I deleted, you'd see what I mean.BTW, if anyone has any new content for this new Images section, just email it to me.I had a bit of a setback with condensing all the content from the X-Archive into here but I'm nearly done with it behind the scenes now.A lot of stuff (like really small / low-quality images and pics of the old 80s merchandise) is going to fall by the wayside because I don't think it really fitted with my site's idea of 'Star Fleet in the 21st Century'.

Dream big and bold and daring.