Star Fleet sounds snatched from Space: 1999?

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

You probably already know this, but I'll add it anyway.When watching the complete series of Ulysses 31 recently, I noticed some sounds that I'd also heard in Star Fleet.Not being a "SFX" person, I couldn't say exactly what these were, but I did recognise them when I heard them <again>Hope this helps...
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(Vanessa @ Dec. 04 2011,21:12)QUOTEYou probably already know this, but I'll add it anyway.When watching the complete series of Ulysses 31 recently, I noticed some sounds that I'd also heard in Star Fleet.Not being a "SFX" person, I couldn't say exactly what these were, but I did recognise them when I heard them <again>Hope this helps...I remember you saying that, though it's seemingly just Japanese sounds. I'm more concerned with sourcing the sounds used in the English dub of "Star Fleet". I don't think it would have been sourced from it since the English dub of "Ulysses 31" was first broadcast in 1985. Thanks though, I could use it to source some sounds...I'm thinking the sounds may have come from popular sci-fi movies and TV shows from the 70's-1981. I should watch Alien and see if that movie contains anything. I checked "Flash Gordon" online and that pretty much affirms that the "Theatre 3 Productions" company must have been responsible for the Japanese sounds (while a number of sounds heard in it are also Cinesound) because several of the laser sounds sound similar to the Japanese laser effects in the original X-Bomber and the English dub.

Crash

Post by Crash »

I see this whole business of exactly how the sounds from 1999 arrived wholesale in Star Fleet as interesting but slightly anecdotal.Bladez is obviously right where it matters, which is that the shows have nearly the same bank of sounds, irrespective of how they got there.

Dream big and bold and daring.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

I'm kinda wondering if the sound effects in the series could've also been snatched from "Alien"/"Aliens" and the "Star Wars" movies considering the connection the series also has with those movie series.I don't get out much - thus I've not seen any of those movies.

Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

I do wonder now, considering the amount of available SFX out there during the time that X-Bomber and then Star Fleet were put together, along with the fact that some sounds seem to have been re-used wholesale from actual shows rather than taken from SFX companies sound effect banks...Were there any SFX actually created bespoke for XB or SF?
Evasive Manoeuvres!
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

Just a late addition to this, theres at least two anime known which have used the "TARDIS" materialisation effect during various scenes - one of the shows was "Mospeada", apparently as a result of the studios involved using BBC library sounds.

"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(FZeroOne @ Jan. 01 2012,17:56)QUOTEJust a late addition to this, theres at least two anime known which have used the "TARDIS" materialisation effect during various scenes - one of the shows was "Mospeada", apparently as a result of the studios involved using BBC library sounds."materialisation" effect? What sound is that? My best guess is that sound used in episode 17 when Makara freezes Lamia, which was also in "Space: 1999" - but I don't think it was ever heard in full there....
Crash

Post by Crash »

It's that long, rasping sound that sounds like someone dragging a metal shovel back and forth over concrete.
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

(Bladez636 @ Jan. 02 2012,08:35)QUOTE
(FZeroOne @ Jan. 01 2012,17:56)QUOTEJust a late addition to this, theres at least two anime known which have used the "TARDIS" materialisation effect during various scenes - one of the shows was "Mospeada", apparently as a result of the studios involved using BBC library sounds."materialisation" effect? What sound is that? My best guess is that sound used in episode 17 when Makara freezes Lamia, which was also in "Space: 1999" - but I don't think it was ever heard in full there....Sorry, theres been a bit of confusion - to the best of my knowledge, the "TARDIS" sound was not used in "Star Fleet"; I was trying to point out that use of sound effects - some of them rather well known - from a common library is known to have occurred in other productions from around the same era.Crash Override, yes, that sound.
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Just to let you know, I can scarcely do any coding at the moment.My Dell XPS went and bought the farm.The second graphics card failed but ... the two cards are actually one big card and the system behaves pretty badly when one half of it fails.So, my machine is away to see if it can be fixed, given that ... there are no parts to fix it with anymore.Work is pretty exhausting too. If Apple's products didn't suck quite so much, I wouldn't have so much to do.I'll try and install some development software on my old XP laptop. Good job I kept it.